With the holidays fast approaching, I want to get my girlfriend a cheap guitar for her to start on. She has very small hands and doesnt feel comfortable playing any of my dreadnoughts, so I think she needs a smaller bodied acoustic, and my budget is $150.
^ if you're used to electric like me body size matters a fair bit
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
no guitar in your price range is going to sound decent, particularly if you're going for a smaller guitar. also most cheaper guitars tend to be dreads. you could try the ibanez PN15 parlor guitar, which may sound a little better than the yamaha JR1, which is a little cheaper than the ibanez. i've owned a couple JR1s and played many, and like so many cheaper guitars, intonation is hit and miss. you might want to get the guitar in advance enough to exchange it if intonation is off.

also luna has a bunch of guitars for $149 that are mostly quite ornate and might be of interest. here are a couple of 3/4 dreads i see people drawn to at guitar center
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Luna-Guitars/Safari-Dragonfly-3-4-Size-Travel-Acoustic-Guitar.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Luna-Guitars/Safari-3-4-Size-Travel-Guitar-with-Peace-Design.gc

by the way, most dreads have thin necks, about as thin as they get.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I'm 5' tall and I do find reaching around a 3/4 size more comfortable than reaching around a full size guitar. With a bigger guitar, it's more difficult to find a comfortable way to rest my arm on the guitar. It feels like there is less pressure on it from the guitar with a smaller one, and it is much easier for me to keep the guitar stable while changing chords with a smaller one. With a bigger guitar, the neck swings all over the place when I lift my fingers to change chords, unless I have one foot up on a foot stool.

I don't like how close together the strings are, but my hands aren't small so it might not be an issue for your gf.

Has she tried any guitars other than your dreadnoughts? Is she just starting out and not sure whether or not she will like playing?
Quote by TheQuailman

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ if you're used to electric like me body size matters a fair bit
Comfort is a relative thing, and in large part, is dependent on whether you're standing or sitting when you're trying to play the damned thing.

Obviously a solid body is the way to go, should you want to jump around and do windmills:

No, not like that silly, like this:
]

But seated, the super jumbo is actually quite a bit more manageable:

Last edited by Captaincranky at Nov 15, 2015,
If you can go out on a limb you could search for a 3/4 size guitar. This shape is most recognized by Ed Sheeran with his signature Lx1 by Martin guitars but you can but a regular one for a couple hundred less. They usually sell for $200 at Guitar Center. If you can't afford this price you can always go find a used one on ebay and with luck, you can find what you want.

Its important you get her started on the right foot, if not she might not keep an interest in playing!
Sk8 Enjoi K3N
Get her a used Baby Taylor. I've seen them for $200, a little out of your range, but I bet you could find one for $150. Get her the "Taylor Swift" model if you can, same price but "prettier" for the girls!

I'd avoid the Yamaha 3/4 size guitars. They sound like ukeleles to me...thin and tinny. On the other hand they play well. Still...the sound is too thin for me to like them. If you can get one really cheap (under $100) it might be worth picking up.
Last edited by TobusRex at Nov 16, 2015,
Quote by Captaincranky
Comfort is a relative thing, and in large part, is dependent on whether you're standing or sitting when you're trying to play the damned thing.

Obviously a solid body is the way to go, should you want to jump around and do windmills:

No, not like that silly, like this:
]

But seated, the super jumbo is actually quite a bit more manageable:

Yeah it depends to a large extent on what you're used to and what you want to do with it. I was just making the point that if she's worried about comfort it's wise not to ignore that. There's little point in telling someone, "X shouldn't annoy you!" if it clearly does!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Yeah it depends to a large extent on what you're used to and what you want to do with it. I was just making the point that if she's worried about comfort it's wise not to ignore that. There's little point in telling someone, "X shouldn't annoy you!" if it clearly does!
The post of mine you're quoting was purely off topic and an attempt at humor.

Since you were involved with "TheQuailman" in an incoherent "battle of the emoticons", I'd though I'd post something that actually was funny. How'd I do?

And BTW, I'm well aware Pete Townshend is well over 6 feet tall, so you could hardly take it at face value that I was using him, (or his signature J-200), as an example in earnest.

If you feel I've overlooked some "valuable content" in posts #4 and $7, please feel free to take the time and have the patience to explain it to me.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Nov 16, 2015,
Sorry, I thought you were being serious

I actually was being serious in my first post (and the reply to you). EDIT: I have no idea what height Townshend is, so sorry about that too.

we talk like that all the time in the electric and gear forums (posts #4 and 7, I mean), we just sort of forget that no-one else knows what we mean

EDIT: I'm a bit wary of translating what it means in case I inadvertently confirm that I actually don't understand it properly either, but to me the "" smiley generally is used when someone says something silly, you can use it to either poke fun at yourself or someone else (or both at the same time). So quail was either admitting that he didn't think of that, or that I was being silly for worrying about that (or both), so I replied in kind (alongside the "" emoticon to show I found it funny). That's about the gist of it, at least as I understand it. EDIT #2: When I say "poke fun", I mean in a friendly way, like among friends. Just to clarify.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 16, 2015,
Quote by Dave_Mc
Sorry, I thought you were being serious .
Hardly. I just checked though and Townshend is 6' on the nose. It has to be said though, he has the wingspan and finger length of a much taller man.

As far as my, "I thought that post was serious" goes, you failed to check out the ever so gently fay bailarin' in the first photo. He's playing a "small body acoustic...", and jumping around, or "voguing", I'm not sure exactly which).

Dave, I've been here for years and so have you. I've always thought of you as someone with a good sense of humor. I'm disappointed in myself for not successfully tapping into it....
Quote by robpm9995
With the holidays fast approaching, I want to get my girlfriend a cheap guitar for her to start on. She has very small hands and doesnt feel comfortable playing any of my dreadnoughts, so I think she needs a smaller bodied acoustic, and my budget is $150.

Hi Robpm9995, One of the best in your price range is the Ibanez SP1 parlor guitar
Spruce top, mahogany sides and back, rosewood fingerboard and would be the perfect size for a woman. Listed in Sweetwater at 149.00. Take a look at it. Regards
Norman2
Last edited by Norman2 at Nov 16, 2015,
I forgot to mention earlier....Gretsch has a parlor guitar on sale for $169 on Amazon. The "Jim Dandy". I've heard they are okay, but never played one myself.
I always start newbies on a classical nylon stringed guitar. The wider nut may seem to be a problem for small hands but it's not, it is actually an advantage because you have more room to learn to place your fingers correctly to form chords. It also lends to fingerstyle picking. It's easier on the fingers. They're not usually large bodied. Moving to a less wide nut on steel strings is easier when you've already gained familiarity with forming chords and built some callousing.
Quote by Captaincranky
Hardly. I just checked though and Townshend is 6' on the nose. It has to be said though, he has the wingspan and finger length of a much taller man.

As far as my, "I thought that post was serious" goes, you failed to check out the ever so gently fay bailarin' in the first photo. He's playing a "small body acoustic...", and jumping around, or "voguing", I'm not sure exactly which).

Dave, I've been here for years and so have you. I've always thought of you as someone with a good sense of humor. I'm disappointed in myself for not successfully tapping into it....

Yeah I saw the first pic and figured it was a joke, but I failed to consider that that might mean the rest of the post was too My fault

And thanks for the compliment about the sense of humour, you do too, just I was silly and it went over my head
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Let's be honest, nobody in Acoustic/Classical has a good sense of humor

Except for me
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Gretsch Jim Dandy!! It's a little over budget, 170, I bought it to learn fingerpicking on, and to use as a travel guitar instead of lugging a big dreadnought. It's a parlor guitar, so it's pretty small, but i love singing with it. The tone is great for accompanyment, and it's not that loud (which for me being a softer singer is awesome). I paid 50$ to have a luthier set the neck up and file the frets. I've never played a more comfortable feeling guitar. The colors are pretty cool too
@tobusrex didn't see your comment until after I typed this!
Quote by teleobrien
Gretsch Jim Dandy!! It's a little over budget, 170, I bought it to learn fingerpicking on, and to use as a travel guitar instead of lugging a big dreadnought. It's a parlor guitar, so it's pretty small, but i love singing with it. The tone is great for accompanyment, and it's not that loud (which for me being a softer singer is awesome). I paid 50$ to have a luthier set the neck up and file the frets. I've never played a more comfortable feeling guitar. The colors are pretty cool too
@tobusrex didn't see your comment until after I typed this!

It's cool teleobrian! I'm glad to see somebody here has played the Jim Dandy, and gladder yet that it was a positive experience (affirming the previous comments I'd heard about it). I was interested in getting a parlor guitar for traveling (but it was a little down the road), but once I got my CA Cargo I no longer had the need for a travel guitar. Odd thing is I bought the Cargo when I was shopping for 12 stringers (and couldn't find one I liked). Isn't that always the way?
Quote by TobusRex
It's cool teleobrian! I'm glad to see somebody here has played the Jim Dandy, and gladder yet that it was a positive experience (affirming the previous comments I'd heard about it). I was interested in getting a parlor guitar for traveling (but it was a little down the road), but once I got my CA Cargo I no longer had the need for a travel guitar. Odd thing is I bought the Cargo when I was shopping for 12 stringers (and couldn't find one I liked). Isn't that always the way?

I bought the Parlor looking for an Acoustic Electric Dread. Funny how these things end up working out
Consider the LUCIDA LG-RQ2 REQUINTO SOLID TOP ACOUSTIC GUITAR at Amazon, $156, free shipping (if you're Prime).

Top is solid spruce. Requinto = ~same as std guitar tuning, capo on 5th.

It sounds okay right out of the box. Better if it's set-up, of course. I gave it to my friend's teen-ager -- she likes it & so do her friends.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another option at Amazon (also at Ebay) is Cordoba GP100 Guilele Pack, $120. Laminated spruce top but don't knock until you try it. Mucho good for the $$. Guitar players transitioning to uke like it, as do uke players transitioning to guitar. It's a good sounding starter. Tuning = same as requinto.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Of course one might find either of the above 2 suggestions in a local music store, where u can give it a try (betah yet).
~~~~~~~~~~
My first post. Aloha from Hawaii. Be gentle, please.
Last edited by bellgamin at Nov 24, 2015,
Daisyrock guitar company specializes in smaller/thinner necked guitars for women. I can't tell you anything about the quality but you may want to check them out.
Quote by robpm9995

Check CORT NDX series... It has a quite positive reviews... Im a cort owner aswell, CORT AF510E and CORT EVL A6 BKS... they serve me well without breaking the bank