So i am building a pedal board for a percussion group that needs a guitarist. I need some kind of distortion to put some edge on my tone, kinda like an of monsters and men (brynjar leifsson) or mumford and sons feel. Nothing to heavy. I looked at the zvex box of rock but it is out of my budget. Then i found a jet city shockwave distortion for $40 on sale. Any suggestions??
what is your budget? what amp is this for? what else are you planning to put on your pedalboard?

oh, and welcome aboard!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
It may seem as if, since you just want a touch of distortion (or the like), you don't need a particularly good pedal.

However, I would suggest that good pedals will sound better than cheap ones, even at their most subtle settings. Indeed, they may even be capable of greater subtlety and refinement. This one can be pretty versatile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trGRqxEyFJg&sns=em

That said, listening to Of Monsters & Men, I don't necessarily hear distortion. It might be more of an subtle overdrive. Pedals like the Timmy, Keely Katana, or the T-Rex MAB might be more suitable to your needs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvX4dgamdoo&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqHlhJcIilk&sns=em
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 16, 2015,
Is everyone still on that Soul Food hype? That pedal is damn cheap and, from what I recall, quite well regarded.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I have a fender mustang 3. I am planning on putting the behringer reverb machine, as well as the rogue trem, and a volume pedal and a cheap delay. My budget is no more than $75 for each pedal, i am buying most of the pedals used. Really anything i can find that is used and cheap may end up on my pedal board.
I'd maybe look more at Overdrive Pedals instead of distortion. Joyo Vintage Overdrive or Digitech Bad Monkey.
Quote by Kaitistewart
I have a fender mustang 3. I am planning on putting the behringer reverb machine, as well as the rogue trem, and a volume pedal and a cheap delay. My budget is no more than $75 for each pedal, i am buying most of the pedals used. Really anything i can find that is used and cheap may end up on my pedal board.

Why don't you just use the effects on your Fender Mustang, it has overdrive, reverb, trem and delay? Sure, they are not the best, but certainly useable and I don't think budget pedals will be a significant upgrade.
I have a HARDWIRE Digitech Tube Distortion pedal...that would do what you want. Pretty much you are looking for a TubeScreamer type of pedal instead of a real distortion pedal.
Quote by ~Luke~
Why don't you just use the effects on your Fender Mustang, it has overdrive, reverb, trem and delay? Sure, they are not the best, but certainly useable and I don't think budget pedals will be a significant upgrade.

+1. If you must, I'd say the Soul Food is a good option.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Kaitistewart

This is exactly what I do as well.
I have both the Behringer Reverb Machine and the Behringer Echo Machine and they are both amazing tbh. I also bought a new Behringer VD1(Big Muff clone) for £10 which was an absolute steal since it was ex-demo.

Oh, and to help with your original question:

If I understand everything correctly, the Zvex Box of Rock is essentially made to emulate the sounds of a Marshall amp?
This pedal does just that for $36
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pluUrclGLB4

I haven't tried it, but I've heard good things about Joyo's emulation pedals.
Quote by Carmel
You are a redeeming feature for the UG Swedish population.

All-riiight.
Last edited by billybusa at Nov 16, 2015,
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Is everyone still on that Soul Food hype? That pedal is damn cheap and, from what I recall, quite well regarded.

+1
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by K33nbl4d3
The SF popped into my head but then I saw:
Quote by Kaitistewart
Quote by ~Luke~
+1.

The Mustang can operate on presets, yeah? So just set up a bunch of presets for it. Maybe put the money you were going to spend on pedals for the proper footcontroller for your Mustang model.

An OD in front of a SS amp might not sound to good. I do not have experience with the SF and a Mustang, but I do have experience with the SF and a Roland Cube. Was not good, man. But yes if you are going to get a budget OD, the SF is a great option. But I think it would shine best in front of a lovely tube amp.
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 16, 2015,
Quote by Will Lane
The SF popped into my head but then I saw:+1.

The Mustang can operate on presets, yeah? So just set up a bunch of presets for it. Maybe put the money you were going to spend on pedals for the proper footcontroller for your Mustang model.

An OD in front of a SS amp might not sound to good. I do not have experience with the SF and a Mustang, but I do have experience with the SF and a Roland Cube. Was not good, man. But yes if you are going to get a budget OD, the SF is a great option. But I think it would shine best in front of a lovely tube amp.

I tend to agree with this, I'm not convinced that any pedal is really going to get you where you want to be in front of that amp, and it's also entirely possible that the amp alone can get you there, or close, if you have the tools to edit it.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Modeling amps may not work well with pedals.

Use your amp, it should be pretty versatile and be able to do many different kind of tones. The whole point of modeling amps is having pretty much everything you need built into them, so that you don't need to spend money on a huge pedalboard.

I wouldn't really recommend buying any stompboxes. As said above, get the foot controller for your amp and you'll be able to turn the effects on and off and change the presets. A cheap reverb or delay pedal is not going to sound any better than the built in stuff in your amp. And if you want a volume pedal, I guess the Fender expression pedal is going to work with the amp and you'll be able to use it for both volume and wah.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Nov 16, 2015,
A big thanks to all for helping! I ended up getting a used soul food EHX off of reverb. My amp has the effects yes but, it would really be easier for the music i play to just have one switch to press with 3 knobs, not a computer program to work and take to practice to adjust my presets. THANK YOU!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

I use mine for this exact purpose. It's the perfect low-gain OD pedal. Every other OD pedal that bills itself as 'low-gain' goes from clean boost to saturation immediately with nothing in between - the soul food has a super wide sweep that gets some great tones in between those two settings (although it does both of those well!)

Might also be worth waiting a few weeks (if possible) for the EHX Crayon, should be a similar pedal but might be a little higher gain - it will have a more adjustable tone stack, though. Same price.

edit: I see I'm an hour late but I'm glad that you found a deal on a soul food, you're gonna love it!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite