ok so I'm in a band that plays everything from van halen to boston to funk and the old 5150 mk1 is having an obvious issue with being versatile enough. I love my 5150 but I would be willing to part ways with her to get a more versatile amp preferably one with a dedicated clean channel. anyway here are is what I'm looking at

5150 iii 50w head
carvin v3 100w head
egnater tourmaster

I'm really gunning for the 5150iii but ive heard some complaints about the volume jump between channel 1 and 2. ive played one and noticed it but I think It would be manageable. I wouldn't mind a v3 but I don't need 2 100w heads sitting around so the 5150 will have to go...not to mention that ive heard it can be fizzy. or it can do everything well but isn't great at one thing.

any thoughts?
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
How bout a Randall RM? With just a few modules you can do anything.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I'd recommend the V3 just because it's an absolute Swiss army knife. I'm not sure about the opinions that it does everything alright but nothing great, but as far as Carvin amps and fizz go, the fizz disappears when you crank it up and really run it. If you don't want another 100W head, though, I'd go for the V3M, the little brother. 50W, all tube, 3 channels, and reverb. I own one myself, and love it to pieces. It may not sound as much like other well-known brands as you might want it to, but it's got an interesting sound on its own, it's crazy versatile, and the clean channel is actually very good.
5150 III is a very nice amp. The volume difference isn't as bad as people make it out to be. if it is a problem then you can use any MFX with Midi capabilities to program the channels via Midi and the volume jump completely disappears.

I'm not a fan of the V3, it was very underwhelming to play. Everything sounded OK but not great.

I really can't remember trying a tourmaster ever, only the Renegade by Egnater
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
get the 50 watt V3m .... I love mine , they are on sell right now for cheap at Carvin online store , you can for sure balance all three channels

the V3 is 100 -50 and 25 watt selectable

https://youtu.be/MvfytP6lzOI
Last edited by Fumble fingers at Nov 16, 2015,
What's your budget?

My favorite great at many things amps are the Mesa Roadster and Peavey JSX (now XXX II).

I picked up the Roadster as my 5150 wasn't versatile enough with changing tubes and EQ all the time.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Sorry for the late reply I was at work.
I owned a v3m and didn't care for it it sounds nothing like its big brother. I've played my buddies v3 and thought it was decent and I can snag one for a decent price in my area
I've owned many Randall products through the years but never the RM series I'll have to snoop around for one
I did play a 5153 50w the other day and I was very impressed with it. But I'm biased because I love van halen and that's mainly what I like to play.
I'd have to say my budget is anywhere between 500-1000usd
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

splawn QR or PM? i just dug my PM out the other day and i love the fucking thing. i forgot how great it sounded.

i am not a fan of the v3m. however, i haven't ever played a normal V3.

skip on the tourmaster. they are very lackluster, and i have heard questions about their reliability. the renegade is better (and cheaper), but it is very generic after you own one for a while.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Do you guys think the 5153 will be versatile enough to play all that? I could also get another Randall dialvo I had the 20 watt version and it was killer this time is go for the 45w or 100w
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

Seriously though the RM is the epitome of versatility. They can be had for decent $, not to mention some of the forums dedicated to it have members willing to sell modules for a great price.

If that isn't your cup of tea then I think the 5153 will be plenty versatile, maybe even a JSX, with money left for another guitar or more pedals!!!
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7(*for sale*)
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
so I just checked out the carvin site because someone said they are blowing them out...holy crap under 500 bucks for that? honestly it is a steal. all the demos ive heard sounded NOTHING like the one I had. the one I had was a fizzy nasty no punch mess. even after a tube change and all that. it just sounded like bees in a can. perhaps it was broken idk? depending on carvins return policy I'm half tempted to give it a go.

the randall rm is an amazing system but I cant find any near me. guitar center used has a ton of them but there aren't any near me and I like to give anything I buy an extensive playthrough before I drop the cash (the only exception was with that v3m that I traded for)
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

Quote by iheartgun
so I just checked out the carvin site because someone said they are blowing them out...holy crap under 500 bucks for that? honestly it is a steal. all the demos ive heard sounded NOTHING like the one I had. the one I had was a fizzy nasty no punch mess. even after a tube change and all that. it just sounded like bees in a can. perhaps it was broken idk? depending on carvins return policy I'm half tempted to give it a go.

the randall rm is an amazing system but I cant find any near me. guitar center used has a ton of them but there aren't any near me and I like to give anything I buy an extensive playthrough before I drop the cash (the only exception was with that v3m that I traded for)

Or perhaps the videos have studio tricks going on

The V3M is IMO not a good amp at all, no matter what you do.

I still vote 5153 if your going new.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I tried the V3 at Carvin and liked it, very versatile. It is a bit hard to dial depending on the guitar, seemed to favor their LP knockoff guitars and on strats was a bit abrasive but that could be dialed down with the eq.

I think one of the Mesa combos would be great for what you need, something like a Roadster or Lonestar as it does all these sounds in one stellar package.

Traynor might be worth a look as well, although for the super high gain you might need an OD in front.
I'd like a mess triple rec but I've only ever played as inhale rec and I'm sure they sound completely different

Any thoughts on the carbon legacy 3? I owned a legacy1 and it was fantastic
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

Quote by diabolical
I tried the V3 at Carvin and liked it, very versatile. It is a bit hard to dial depending on the guitar, seemed to favor their LP knockoff guitars and on strats was a bit abrasive but that could be dialed down with the eq.

I think one of the Mesa combos would be great for what you need, something like a Roadster or Lonestar as it does all these sounds in one stellar package.

Traynor might be worth a look as well, although for the super high gain you might need an OD in front.

And my short stint with a V3 was not very pleasant. I honestly could not get a sound I liked at all. It was either just OK or really bad

I would love to like Carvin amps, but IMO they are just not that good from the expirences I have had with them and I even owned a X100b that was sold within 4 weeks of buying it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you like Mesas give the Roadster and RoadKing a look. They are part of the Rectifier family.

Channel 1: Clean, Fat, Tweed (Lonestar / Mark I)
Channel 2: Clean, Fat, Brit (Lonestar / Mark I)
Channel 3: Raw, Vintage, Modern (Dual Rec Channel 2)
Channel 4: Raw, Vintage, Modern (Dual Rec Channel 3)

Roadster: 6L6 OR EL34
RoadKing: 6L6 AND EL34

Bold or Spongy Power, 50W/100W, Reverb, Diode or Tube Rectification, Solo Volume Boost.

Tons of great sounds from Fender cleans to Modern Metal.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
wow the autospell on my phone hit hard on my last post haahahah

like I said I use to own a legacy 1. hands down the loudest amp ive ever played. that thing sounded great but you had to crank it for it to sound great. if the legacy 3 is anything like that I'm sure id like it

what ive boiled all this down to is where the 5153 shines the legacy is lacking and vice a versa. id love to own a mesa but I don't even know where to start with the tones I'm looking for. would a stiletto do what I'm after? metal/classic rock/hard rock and jazzy cleans ?
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

And an RM100 can do it all. All you need to do is select the appropriate modules. If your tastes change, change the modules.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I did manage to find a rm100 head with 3 modules included for 650 at guitar center but I cant tell what modules they are
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

Does it even matter? You can use them as a donor modules to have something really good made. I only kept one of the Randall modules in stock form, the others are from either Salvation or Jaded Faith.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you're willing to go the RM road, which is using a discontinued tech from Randall and are OK with that, actually there is a lot that I like so I'm not going to talk you down. They had some fantastic modules and there are still some modders out there that can make you boutique modules off of theirs. Funny thing is that I was about to buy one when they discontinued it.
Problems is that it is problematic for el. techs to fix these things when they have problems as it is complex amp. That's why I didn't buy one. Same reason I didn't buy JVM - opened one up, saw the electronics inside and said "thanks but no thanks".

About Mesas - actually pretty much their whole line will do what you need in some capacity.

The Mesa Express 5:50 (or 5:25) is a 2 channel amp that does great cleans to Metallica-like gain on 2 switchable channels.

Then there is the Rectifier and Mark ranges that will also cover pretty much all the ground but things get expensive.

The Mini Rectifier (which I have) does great cleans, decent crunch and great high gain thrash sounds. It is a 2 channel amp which can be easily made into 4 channel amp with the right overdrive in front.

I think that you should definitely research Mesa...plenty of videos and demos on Youtube.

Honestly, Peavey products and Jet City products next to Mesa amps feel like buzzy sh*tty little toys from a Chinese cut rate factory...which is what they are.

Talking about Chinese factories - there's also Egnater out there. On par with Peavey quality but versatile like you're looking for. Check their line as well.
The RM's are surprisingly simple inside.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I was worried about the RM reliability due to what it is. I am no tech I can bias and do minor things but other than that no way. I checked out the two websites you suggested cath and it seems like a great way to go but I'm still a little uneasy about it and I'm not sure why. also to be honest yes it does matter what modules they are because after I purchase the amp I will have to work a shit ton of overtime to get my modules sent in and converted. so it will have to be able to stand on its own until i can afford it. child support is a bitch man.

i have owned many peavey products and never thought that they were cheap or suffered from poor construction. but then again a poorly set up peavey next to a properly set up mesa or anything will sound like ass and vice a versa. i have looked at mesa and the one that fits the bill for me would be a mark series. i love the mini mark 5. that thing is beastly.
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

Mesa Mk series are nice !! ... I gig my MK V on the big gig's or outdoors and use the my Carvin V3m on the small gigs and bars indoor
I've got a Markus module from Salvation for my RM100. It sounds just like a Mk2C.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification