Page 1 of 2
I saw that Anonymous "declared war" on IS. At first, Anonymous don't seem to have any chance to fight terrorism. They're hackers.

But... They are very similar to terrorist groups, in the sense that they can't be targeted and can use this on a more psychological level to instill fear etc etc...
I think they'll be a great defense/help in situations that involve enemies who rely on technology, and are a great counter-terrorist force in that regard.

I'm not saying Anonymous have a chance to stop terrorism, but maybe we could learn something from them and apply it to the fight against terrorism, against people who don't rely on technology as much?

(I know Anonymous aren't only "good guys" and some people have done bad things in their name, but I think the good people outweigh the bad. That could also be an issue, Anonymous being both good and bad... That's not the point of this thread though.)
I don't know. But they might be. It's unlikely they will be co-opted by either the terrorists or any governmental organization, so it's also unlikely they will be harmful to the general populace. Given that, I'm hoping they can make a difference.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I doubt ISIS keeps digital copies of intelligence. I really don't know a damned thing about computer science, but if they're somehow able to trace online recruiters on islamist message boards and pass that knowledge onto the proper agencies, they'd have done the world a service.

If it's just them starting a twitter war with ISIS fanatics then fat lot of good that'll do.
Not really. ISIS's strength obvious lies in the strength of will and martial resources. Anonymous could perhaps take down their communications to overseas cells for a bit but I doubt ISIS use WhatsApp

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Likely they'll be more of a nuisance(to IS and western governments).

But why not let them have a go?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
The main question was if we could learn from Anonymous, not if Anonymous could actually take down the IS
Meh, probably not. But I'm sure they could cause them some problems. As cringey as they are, at least they're trying to do something.

They might be able to expose some members in Western countries or shut down some of their sites or whatever. I'm not really clued up on that stuff.
Quote by chrismendiola
Should get fsociety on the case innit

yooooooooooooooo
My God, it's full of stars!
The closest thing to Anonymous I can think of are spies, but they don't have that psychological effect like terrorist do, and they're from the government so they can be directly targeted.

I guess the closest thing would be if spies started advertising their actions like Anonymous, or even pretend to be them, but act in the real world. Spy assassins or something like that.
Quote by Minicaxotinho
The main question was if we could learn from Anonymous, not if Anonymous could actually take down the IS

Learn from them how, though? Learn from their methods, learn from their enthusiastic charge, learn from their fashion sense, learn from their politics, learn from their video editing etc
Quote by Minicaxotinho
The closest thing to Anonymous I can think of are spies,

I think they're complete opposites. Spies are inherently covert. Anonymous is pretty conspicuous. Anonymous broadcasts what it does for like, the whole world to see.
Free Ali
Free Lard
Quote by chrismendiola
Anonymous broadcasts what it does for like, the whole world to see.
So do terrorists! They use it to their advantage, why can't we?

(Talking about spies. Countries tend to say something when they start a war )
Last edited by Minicaxotinho at Nov 16, 2015,
Quote by Minicaxotinho
So do terrorists! They use it to their advantage, why can't we?

Yeah, but I was referring to how you compared Anonymous to spies.
Free Ali
Free Lard
IS operates, to some degree, in the 21st century and utilizing relevant technologies, to communicate, organize, distribute information, recruit, etc., and Anonymous does have considerable capabilities in these information technologies and are also not tied to any particular government.

As cringey and neckbeardy as they are, they could do some good.
My God, it's full of stars!
Anonymous would be at best disruptive fucks, but not a real solution. but hey it's a start
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I still remember when they used to be a bunch of pretentious assholes but in past few years they've started to seem like pretty cool guys.
It can't hurt but aside from hacking Twitter or the occasional webpage I don't think they are going to make a major impact.
"We all have idols. Play like anyone you care about but try to be yourself while you're doing so." - BB King

"The thrill is being able to do it...even if you play it badly" - The Edge.

8 Guitars, 4 Amps, 3 Multi Pedals...and never done!
I saw a guy on campus the other day who had his face completely clean shaven with just a neckbeard. I bet that guy was part of Anonymous.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Not really. ISIS's strength obvious lies in the strength of will and martial resources. Anonymous could perhaps take down their communications to overseas cells for a bit but I doubt ISIS use WhatsApp

Apps like WhatsApp and social media are the primary mode of communication for recruiting for ISIS. That's why the whole "snoopers charter" is trying to be put in place, to monitor encrypted messaging services like WhatsApp.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

I doubt ISIS gives two shits about Anonymous' declaration of war.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Is it an optical illusion caused by the mask, or are his chins really that much wider than the top of his head?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Anon is cringey af but compared to searching mosques for signs of terrorism this idea is a stroke of genius
Quote by whywefight
Anon is cringey af but compared to searching mosques for signs of terrorism this idea is a stroke of genius

"Yup, some sort of terrorism happened in here, lads"

Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by chrismendiola
Should get fsociety on the case innit

bitch please

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
if they can disrupt sites that are being used by terrorist to recruit etc then yes they could be helpful. ISIS has a strong internet precense so taking that away could be a blow to them. obviously they can't "take then down" in a literal sense but any help is better than nothing. they also don't have to worry about the appearence of being "the good guys" which holds back the US gov't.
Gary Faulkner, anon who went to pakistan's border to kill osama himself, posted his plan on 4chan before leaving, no one took him seriously until he was put into custody crossing the afghanistan border.

Anonymous is a handful of people or groups, that probably have little to no contact with each other, the one's that get anything noteworthy done anyway.

It's also known Isis probably uses gaming devices, and other methods of voice chat that dont' link to a number or phone, things the government rarely puts an ear too.
Last edited by stratkat at Nov 16, 2015,
Quote by Acϵ♠
Anonymous would be at best disruptive fucks, but not a real solution. but hey it's a start

this

disruption is a pretty good tactic, an enemy in disarray is an enemy that can't mount a full defense
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by Pastafarian96
this

disruption is a pretty good tactic, an enemy in disarray is an enemy that can't mount a full defense

They're disrupting their Twitter accounts. That would be impressive if that was the only way they had to communicate.

Anonymous are nothing but a bunch of self-important wanks.
Perhaps they may do some good, but I don't really trust them beyond just being a cyber mob.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by BobBastard
They're disrupting their Twitter accounts. That would be impressive if that was the only way they had to communicate.

Anonymous are nothing but a bunch of self-important wanks.

you missed the point, even if it is/was just twitter, that still could be a useful way of exposing previously unknown Islamic State members.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
I read the evil doers are getting harder much more difficult to keep track of on the Internet because they getting good at encryption whatever that means. I hope that anonymous can get through the encryption of the evildoers and relay any information that may find to the proper authorities to put an end to this evil doing. Okay?
What if Anonymous is just a rouse for government types to get around that whole constitution and laws bit? Like, no one cares if a private group of citizens breaks privacy laws, especially when done for "a good cause". *tinfoil hat*

But also, kinda makes sense.
naw it's just a buncha nerds lmao
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Page 1 of 2