My wife is mildly religious. She never goes to church never talk to anybody about God . All she does is just kind of believe in God a little bit and that's all.

What it is is she's closer to death then she once was. So my for that matter but I know never gonna be religious at all. The best I can do is hope for some kind of life after life.

So I fain belief for her a little bit. What this amounts to is the very few times she has asked me if I believe in God I say yes. She's only asked me I am going to say like four times in the 26 years we've been together.

The biggest deal about it though is in the last half a year she likes to say grace before our evening meal.

My usual thing goes like thank you God for another day and may we be truly grateful for what we are about to receive. Like that

The somebody's trouble or sick that we know I throw in a word for them.

I get the irresistible urge sometimes to do meet the parents prayer. But I resist.

So give me some ideas.
"god, you tha real MVP"
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
lol at praying to anything other than the sun and the moon.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Don't believe in God. Believe in me who believes in God who believes he believes in you.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
So his wife is dying and you guys and this is how you guys respond?

I'm sorry TS, but I have never prayed, but I am sure Google has some ideas.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
So his wife is dying and you guys and this is how you guys respond?

I'm sorry TS, but I have never prayed, but I am sure Google has some ideas.

My interpretation of OP was that he and his wife are getting older, not that she's ill.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I look up to the sky
There may be nothing there to see
But if I don't believe in Him
Why would he believe in me?
Quote by yope
My wife is mildly religious. She never goes to church never talk to anybody about God . All she does is just kind of believe in God a little bit and that's all.

What it is is she's closer to death then she once was. So my for that matter but I know never gonna be religious at all. The best I can do is hope for some kind of life after life.

So I fain belief for her a little bit. What this amounts to is the very few times she has asked me if I believe in God I say yes. She's only asked me I am going to say like four times in the 26 years we've been together.

The biggest deal about it though is in the last half a year she likes to say grace before our evening meal.

My usual thing goes like thank you God for another day and may we be truly grateful for what we are about to receive. Like that

The somebody's trouble or sick that we know I throw in a word for them.

I get the irresistible urge sometimes to do meet the parents prayer. But I resist.

So give me some ideas.

Stop lying.
Hey Yope,

Yeah man, your prayer is "right", for lack of a better word. Jesus left us the example in Matthew 6:9 (known as the Lord's Prayer) to show us how to pray.

That said, if you have resolved that you do not and will never believe, why fake your way through that part of your life? Prayer is a huge part of faith and is a beautiful thing but is meaningless if you don't care who or what is on the receiving end. It's like randomly dialing a number on the phone, trying to tell the person about what's on your mind, and then hanging up - what's the point?

If you and your wife genuinely want to see what it's like to follow Christ, I would highly recommend it (and would be more than happy to point you to podcasts and online sermons that are freaking bomb). But if not, that's fine - it's your choice. But don't live your life being fake, man. It can only ever backfire and I don't think anyone on their deathbed regrets not being more fake during their life.
and harry doesn't mind if he doesn't make the scene
Last edited by Xomar at Nov 17, 2015,
when my grandfather used to insist on me doing grace before dinner, i'd usually just refuse or do the "rub-a-dub-dub" thing.

less to do with me not being religious and more to do with the fact that family dinners were always atrocious displays of most of what was wrong with my family.

it's so very important that we all sit at the table together and thank GOD for everything, then watch my grandfather eat like an animal, go on at least one incoherent rant about something racist or bigoted/ignorant, followed by my man-child uncle throwing a temper tantrum.

thank you god.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
What you are already doing sounds pretty good tbh. Thank God for all the good in your life. Be grateful, humble, and compassionate. Ask him to change the bad in the world (which doesn't work directly most times) ask him to changes the hearts of people, so that they might change their bad in the world. Example: Rather than pray, "Lord, please end ISIS. Try, "Lord, move the hearts of all those involved with ISIS so that they might be more forgiving and compassionate." God can change the world, but he won't because our own free will and resulting actions usually cause the harm, so we pray for a conversion of heart.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
This kind of thing gets harder as you grow up.
If your lucky you wont be asked to prayer much after leaving school.
But when the older generation starts to go the way of all organic things, you might be asked to....

Put your atheism where your mouth is, and really piss of your sister.

If your unsure, I find the lords prayer beautiful,

If it was good enough for Bowie...

however I'm sure if I was to de-construct it???

Ignorance is often bliss.
I'm reasonably sure that content isn't nearly as important as intent.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911

Nicely said.
Hey mate,
I'm really sorry about your wife my heart goes out to you. Honestly, thank you prayers are great. Often I like to be specific, so what things especially I'm thankful for that day eg. great parking spot, food, people. Then I pray/ask for what I'm worried about/what I hope changes eg. comfort and peace for the mourning families after Paris, bills that I have to pay. I also say sorry if there's something on my conscience, like if I've hurt someone's feelings, and what I can do to make things better (but that's just me and might not be for everyone). Then I say thanks again. My prayers are almost always really short and to the point, but I don't think all the fluff and stuff matters really. Like Arby911 said, it's all in the heart. I don't always get an answer, but sometimes I do as well Hope things get better mate! I'll be praying for you guys
Quote by Arby911

i agree

I'm not religious but I participate in religious things because it's part of my culture and it's fun. It often involves praying. I usually don't have to say anything aloud but when I do I just verbalize whatever I/others would wish for in that situation and say "God" or the specific name of a deity somewhere in there so it seems more prayerful and appropriate to the situation.

You can look up specific prayers in your religion for sick people/children/the elderly etc if you would prefer a template to go off from. In mine for example there are different prayers for each of these, and they also change depending on whether you're saying them at morning or night.
cat
Quote by guitarxo
i agree

I'm not religious but I participate in religious things because it's part of my culture and it's fun. It often involves praying. I usually don't have to say anything aloud but when I do I just verbalize whatever I/others would wish for in that situation and say "God" or the specific name of a deity somewhere in there so it seems more prayerful and appropriate to the situation.

You can look up specific prayers in your religion for sick people/children/the elderly etc if you would prefer a template to go off from. In mine for example there are different prayers for each of these, and they also change depending on whether you're saying them at morning or night.

hello, thank you and think everybody for the earnest replies. I had heavy religious indoctrination in the Lutheran faith there was nothing fun about it. I hated it. It was ghoulish. Washed in the blood of the Lamb Christ died for your sins on the cross, the Holy Ghost. You know the usual thing. How's that fun? It was dismal and gloomy at church and Sunday school there is one guy that brightened it up.

At Sunday school on the table was a big wooden cross like a foot high mounted on the stand sitting there. When the Sunday school teacher got going he would pick up the cross and play airplane with it making a fart like sound and engine noise with his mouth waiting in up-and-down back and forth just joyously wallowing in blasphemy. He died from a brain aneurysm when he was in high school a few years later.

The point is it was dark gloomy dismal boring like that.