Hi,

In case you are thinking about purchasing one of these microphones, I have prepared a short video that will allow you to compare the sound that is picked up by two condenser, cardioid microphones (audio technica pro37 and AKG C214).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlaqNwDLSFk

You can make your own opinion. Here is what I notice:
- The AKG is significantly more sensitive (almost 15db less in input gain to get the same level)
- The AKG picks up a wider frequency range, with a lot more bass and a little bit more high end
- As a result, I would say that the pro37 would probably be easier to use when you want to mix an acoustic guitar in a full arrangement (bass, drums, electric guitar etc.) while the C214 would allow more details for a solo instrument or vocals. The AKG also sounds warmer.
I love the C214 though I don't own one. I borrow one occasionally from a friend. I'm not sure comparing a $400 AKG C214 to $169 Audio Technica (on line prices) is a valid comparison but I enjoyed your video. Nice sound on your Martin.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Nov 17, 2015,
Indeed, I had not mentionned that the two mics do not belong to the same price range. The goal of the comparison is to allow someone who has a "cheap" mic to be able to assess if investing in a more expensive, mid-range mic is worth it or if the money gap is too big to make the change.