Page 1 of 2
Well the title says it all i live in an appartement and I still have that crappy amp that comes with starter packs, what new amp do u think i should buy (its not for gigging just for practice in my room) i mostly play metal, hard rock and a little bit of clean . Thanks!
Quote by EMegatallicAM
Well the title says it all i live in an appartement and I still have that crappy amp that comes with starter packs, what new amp do u think i should buy (its not for gigging just for practice in my room) i mostly play metal, hard rock and a little bit of clean . Thanks!

yeah, I had something here, but check out that blackstar 10w
My newest addition,
2007 Dean Cadi-KILL (Cannibal Corpse) Rob Barrett Signature model to see more of my gear visit my profile.
Last edited by Ikillintel at Nov 22, 2015,
The L6 Spider series is perhaps the worst modeling amp group on the planet, but some sort of modeler is probably a good choice. I note that it needn't be an amp, an HD500 or similar would work and you could always get a powered wedge if you need amplification at a later date.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Ikillintel
I'd get something that allowed me to use headphones.. being a metal guy you'd probably like a line6 spider 3. which makes for a great practice amp and lets you play with different preloaded FX .. you can also hook your laptop to it an record. This way you're not sacrificing tone with such low watt amp.

For info only http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/line-6-spider-iii-75-75w-1x12-guitar-combo-amp , you can find these on the used market and in pawnshops fairly cheap.

Edit** Let me go ahead and tell you some of the negative reviews in the link I provided are by people you could have gave them a 5150 or Engl powerball and they'd say it sucked, take into consideration not every user knows how to dial the controls or use the features provided.

I have this amp as well as 2 of the best metal amp fullstacks anyone could want... the Line6 spider 3 is very versatile, it provides 400 fx any of which can over saturate if too much is used... that's end user understanding and taste. This amp will allow you to be a good neighbor as well as a great rocker. Its a 75 watt amp with a single 12 inch celestion speaker ... this way when you do grow as a player and want to play with a drummer or bass player you got the power to do so, you're not going to do that with 20 -40 watt amps. I've owned this amp for roughly 4-5 yrs without the first issue , it's easily portable... you can run a pedalboard with it if you chose to or a multi fx rack unit. I just do not see where this amp fails... other than the abilities of the user. You can download the .PDF file if you find one used and do not have the user book so you can lean how to use it. I hope this helps in your quest for METAL \m/

Lol how can any self respecting guitar player recommend a Line 6 Spider for Metal?

My 10 watt Blackstar sounds more Metal than that thing.
Where'd you come up with those wattages? Even a 1w amp will be deafeningly loud if you turn it up at home (so it's certainly not something I'd recommend in an apartment complex).
Luckily, amps typically have volume knobs, so you can turn them down, even the big ones.
Long story short: Buy an amp that you like the sound of, don't worry too much about wattage.

The quietest way to go is with headphones, though I haven't found a way to make that sound good to me, particularly not with a lot of gain. I generally don't recommend it unless you need to be dead quiet.

If you buy an amp instead, do yourself a favour and get something with at least a 10" speaker, 12" would be better in most cases (for metal, anyway). 8" models are mostly terrible (2x8 and 4x8 are debatable though).

The metal crowd likes the Peavey Vypyr a lot, maybe give that a go. Depending on your budget and what kind of distortion you need (what styles of metal do you play? How heavy do you go?), a small valve amp with an OD or distortion pedal might be worth a try.
You may be better off just buying a portable digital modeler- Line 6 POD, Korg Pandora, Boss Micro BR, etc.- and using headphones.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Amp sims on the computer or a POD with good monitoring headphones and/or bookshelf speakers.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Just a comment. You don't need anything like 20w in your situation, unless you are into sado-masochism. - So don't let your choices be limited by (low) output, IMO Quailman's advice is good. - I play at a good deal less than 0.5w in my man cave, and I think that the 8" speaker is now, after a lot of other mods, the limiting factor in my Epi VJ.

Re headphones. My tech mates at the music shop tried different models of headphones with different amps, and found that the cheap low-fi ones gave a sound closer to the speaker than the expensive hi-fi ones. I bought cheap Ashton electric drum headphones on their advice, and they work fine.
Quote by anthonymarisc
Lol how can any self respecting guitar player recommend a Line 6 Spider for Metal?

My 10 watt Blackstar sounds more Metal than that thing.

hey you're right!
My newest addition,
2007 Dean Cadi-KILL (Cannibal Corpse) Rob Barrett Signature model to see more of my gear visit my profile.
Peavey Vypyr 30. They sound freaking great for a low volume amp, and have the 12 inch speaker (which is important to me for not sounding thin and boxy in a practice amp). They sound awesome for practicing at home and can do quiet rehearsals in a pinch (clean, crunch, and high gain). Take this from someone who has played (not owned but played extensively, sometimes gigged or recorded) new and vintage Vox AC30s and AC15s, Orange Rockerverbs, Orange TH30 combo and head+2x12 cab, Orange Tiny Terror and OR15 heads and various cabs, Blackstar HT-60, Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier and Dual Rectifier Roadster (head and combo), Mesa Boogie Rectoverb, Mesa Boogie Tremoverb combo, Mesa Boogie Mark V half stack, Divided By 13, Dr. Z Maz 18, Bad Cat Cub III 40 combo, Fender Twin and Deluxe Reverb, Budda Superdrive 45 halfstack, Peavey 6505+, JSX combo and halfstack, Marshall JCM2000, DSL50, JVM410, Egnaters of all shapes and sizes.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Think Pod plus headphones. No amp does justice to metal at apt volume levels. A proper 20w amp is pub gig loud wide open.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Ikillintel
I highly doubt it.

You must be a member of the My Les Paul Forum....everything over 10 watts is too loud for those guys!!

Jesus Christ!

i am not sure you understand.

most modern amps rely on preamp distortion, and most have a master volume. back in the day before mastervolume amps hit the market, yes, you had to dime the damn thing to blistering levels to get enough gain (poweramp distortion then).

1w dimed into a celestion V30 is 100dB at 1m away from the speaker (head on). from some sources (i just googled examples of 100dB) say its the volume of a chainsaw or a jackhammer or a speeding express train. its fucking loud. period.

i have a 5f1 i built, and my mesa markIV sounds better at lower volumes.

watts do not equal volume.

another example is a vox ac 30. they are louder than some 100 watt heads. SERIOUSLY. those suckers are loud.

watts does not equal volume.

if you are playing in an appartment, i would get a POD or something and use headphones.

FWIW i have a lot of big 100 watt amps and some lower output too.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
please don't buy a spider.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
another example is a vox ac 30. they are louder than some 100 watt heads. SERIOUSLY. those suckers are loud.

Amen to that!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

I'm not that dumb but thanks thrashed
My newest addition,
The only L6 spider amps worth a crap are the Spider valve series. I 8have had several different spiders over the years and while they are Ok, most modelers today sound better.

^ and that awesome Celestion that is in the spider is a shitty speaker in reality. It is not a custom made speaker, it is a cheap OEM speaker Celestion makes and it can be found in many cheap amps.

Although I do prefer a 12" speaker over smaller ones.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
My newest addition,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Amen to that!

Guys, guys guys....

Damn it!

Yes, watts DOES "equal" volume. More watts, more volume. It's just a log rather than a linear correlation. (And assumes speakers etc. are the same)

And an AC30 is NOT louder than a 100w head. It's just not.

That it's loud isn't in question, but it can't transcend physics.

/rant
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Yamaha THR10X - I haven't used one yet but they look great for exclusive bedroom practice use as their designed to be used at that level and that level only. Check them out on YouTube
Just go for a Cube 15x or something like that. Line 6 has a lot of interesting ones too. You dont really need to push out a lot of cash to get a decent practice amp, though you should always be careful. Do not buy junk
I'd suggest something a bit different - an all analog modeling amp:
Tech 21 Trademark 30 or 60.
Great amps that cover everything, have real reverb tank and DI out with speaker emulation which can drive headphones. Fantastic sounds and all analog path.
http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/amps/guitar/trademark30.html
I ise Bias FX for ios, and have studio monitors and studio headphones. Hard to beat the versatility and price, though through the monitors I do need to crank the volume up to about midway or it just sounds too thin. I always thought monitors were made to be flat, but at least for mine at low volumes it is ultra thin
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
Another vote for the Tech 21 Trademark, but I prefer the TM60 rather than the TM30.
Purchased my used TM60 (in excellent condition) for 250$.
Last edited by b12 at Feb 1, 2016,
That aint no spider. THIS is a spider:

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by TheQuailman
Long story short: Buy an amp that you like the sound of, don't worry too much about wattage.

Absolutely this!

Learn from my expensive mistake. I listened to all the BS about low watts and bought myself a 2W PTP amp. It's OK, but my Marshall is sooooo much better sounding even at really low volumes.
I still use my 2W amp for practice as it's convenient but, given the time again, I'd just use the Marshall.

I know that TS says it's just for home, but you do have the added bonus of a 'gigable' amp if you buy wise in the first place.
Quote by Arby911
Guys, guys guys....

Damn it!
And an AC30 is NOT louder than a 100w head. It's just not.
That it's loud isn't in question, but it can't transcend physics.

Well, lets check our math now shall we:

AC30 with Celestion Blues 100db+30w(15dbw)= 115db at 1w1m
JCM800 with Celestion G12M Greenbacks 95db+ 100w(20dbw)= 115db at 1w1m

The math tells us that the venerable AC30 combo is equal in SPL at rated power with the most popular and one of the most powerful 100w Metal guitar stacks of all time. They are essentially the same volume, 30w vs 100w due to the higher efficiency of the Celestion Blue speakers. Now the math becomes even more involved when using multiple speakers because now you have a speaker system with higher efficiency than a single speaker. The math always works though.
http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

You are correct Arby, you cannot overcome physics.

Both amps are designed to cover stadiums and dimed are way too loud for the average roadhouse or pub gig.
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Feb 2, 2016,
Quote by Cathbard
That aint no spider. THIS is a spider:

You catch that one in your jam room?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Nah, those little suckas are only around Sydney thankfully.
How Aussie is that? We built our biggest city on a nest of the world's deadliest spider.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Nah, those little suckas are only around Sydney thankfully.
How Aussie is that? We built our biggest city on a nest of the world's deadliest spider.

Yeah Funnel web spiders look crazy as hell and I've heard a few types are actually aggressive towards people.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
They like hiding in your boots.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
They like hiding in your boots.

yeah we have snakes and spiders that do that shit here. always knock out your shoes/boots if they were left outside
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
fuck spiders. especially big ones.

i have seen some scorpions in my woods back at my old house.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Funny factoid about scorpions: most species fluoresce under a blacklight.

Hmmm..."Fluorescent Scorpions". Good band name.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 2, 2016,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Funny factoid about scorpions: most species fluoresce under a blacklight.

i actually did know that. haven't tried it though myself. i just burn the fucking things.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Helps you find them at night, though.

And in dance clubs.

Page 1 of 2