I've been playing guitar for a couple of years now, but I want to start experimenting with different tones. I know nothing about guitar effects or tones, so I am completely new to this. Many people have told me to buy a multi effects board instead of just buying pedals. I was looking at many but still don't know which one to buy. I looked at the BOSS ME-80 but many reviews said it didn't sound good, and I also looked the the Digitech RP1000. My price range is from $150-$300. Anyone know any good boards I can start out with? Thanks!
ME80 is a great unit. Same COSM as the GT100. Easy to use and sounds good. RP1000 is probably a bit too complicated to get the most out of for a new starter with MFX. Digitech RP360 is probably more suited to you.

There are many more out there, you should try some out, check youtube etc. For a first unit I'd avoid POD HD series as they are suited to experienced users with lots of time on their hands. Zoom make some good units now too, avoid old zooms though, their distortions had more fizz than a can of coke.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
My experience is based on the ME-50 (older, but better built than Boss's more recent multi effects units). In my opinion, it was great for delays & modulations, but I hated all the drives on it.

My personal recommendation would be the Zoom G5. Great pedal & extremely easy to use. I have the slightly smaller G3 as a permanent fixture on my pedalboard. Like crackerjack said though, avoid their older units - they used to be a budget manufacturer, but when brands like Joyo etc started being cheaper than them they upgraded significantly and are now a valid competitor to the traditionally bigger brands.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
+1 on the ME-50. It's very well built, has good sounds and is easy to program.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Quote by crackerjack123
ME80 is a great unit. Same COSM as the GT100. Easy to use and sounds good. RP1000 is probably a bit too complicated to get the most out of for a new starter with MFX. Digitech RP360 is probably more suited to you.

There are many more out there, you should try some out, check youtube etc. For a first unit I'd avoid POD HD series as they are suited to experienced users with lots of time on their hands. Zoom make some good units now too, avoid old zooms though, their distortions had more fizz than a can of coke.

Thanks for the reply. I looked into the Digitech RP360 and 4.5 stars and many people say it's great. For being smaller and half the price of the boards I was looking at, it still has a lot of effects on it. I also am interested in the Zoom G5 as someone mentioned below.
Quote by GaryBillington
My experience is based on the ME-50 (older, but better built than Boss's more recent multi effects units). In my opinion, it was great for delays & modulations, but I hated all the drives on it.

My personal recommendation would be the Zoom G5. Great pedal & extremely easy to use. I have the slightly smaller G3 as a permanent fixture on my pedalboard. Like crackerjack said though, avoid their older units - they used to be a budget manufacturer, but when brands like Joyo etc started being cheaper than them they upgraded significantly and are now a valid competitor to the traditionally bigger brands.

Thanks for the reply. I did some research into the G5 and many people/reviews said they liked it better than the BOSS ME-80. Since I'm not too familiar with these effect boards like I said above, I found a lot of presets you can load into the thing. I'm probably going to go with the Zoom G5 or the Digitech RP360 as someone mentioned above.
what amp are you using?? you need to start from a good base then add effects to that. I have never found a multi board that I have liked, they seem to try and pack to many things into them instead of focusing on a few great tones

Worst thing about them is you tend to spend most of your time tweaking them instead of playing guitar

all IMO of coarse
Quote by sytharnia1560
what amp are you using?? you need to start from a good base then add effects to that. I have never found a multi board that I have liked, they seem to try and pack to many things into them instead of focusing on a few great tones

Worst thing about them is you tend to spend most of your time tweaking them instead of playing guitar

all IMO of coarse

I'm using a Fender Champion 100
Quote by nickw1999
I'm using a Fender Champion 100

Might want to consider an amp first.

I'm going out on a limb and suggest you state your goals, favorite guitarists, and location to get meaningful answers. Digital multi effects are just tools and some do certain things better than others. There are no perfect ones.

Home use only? Gigs? Recording?

Three favorite guitarists?

Where you live?
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy

I'm going out on a limb and suggest you state your goals, favorite guitarists, and location to get meaningful answers. Digital multi effects are just tools and some do certain things better than others. There are no perfect ones.

Where you live?

Well gee, thanks lol.
I will put those things on my profile. I've never really used Ultimate Guitar before. I plan on using one for practicing and just playing with some friends.
Quote by Cajundaddy

Where you live?

By amp I assume you mean tube amp? What would you recommend for a first tube amp?
Quote by nickw1999
By amp I assume you mean tube amp? What would you recommend for a first tube amp?

Ok so Clapton, Stones, G&R, VH, Petrucci... Mesa, Fender Supersonic 22, Peavey Vypyr tube 60, Peavey 5150. All of these will sound WAY better than the Champion 100. Trying to get great guitar tone from a Champion SS amp is damn difficult.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Nov 18, 2015,
Quote by Cajundaddy
Ok so Clapton, Stones, VH, Petrucci... Mesa, Fender Supersonic 22, Peavey Vypyr tube 60, Peavey 5150. All of these will sound WAY better than the Champion 100. Trying to get great guitar tone from a Champion SS amp is damn difficult.

Thanks for the recommendation. I bought the amp before I knew anything about guitar tones.
Quote by nickw1999
Thanks for the recommendation. I bought the amp before I knew anything about guitar tones.

yeah don't worry man pretty much every guitarist starts there journey with what turns out to be the wrong gear. The key is to not make another mistake by buying a multi fx when you don't have a good start point with what you are amplify it through

First tell us what type of tones you like (so really what players) then things like whats your budget etc
Quote by sytharnia1560
yeah don't worry man pretty much every guitarist starts there journey with what turns out to be the wrong gear. The key is to not make another mistake by buying a multi fx when you don't have a good start point with what you are amplify it through

First tell us what type of tones you like (so really what players) then things like whats your budget etc

I know the amp I have now won't produce good enough tones like one person said above, but would it produce a better tone than the amp has already? I'm starting to get sick of the terrible bottled up sounding distortion on my amp. I really like John Petrucci's tones especially in the song The Looking Glass. I currently can't afford a tube amp at the moment, but would you be able to list maybe a few under the $700 price range that are good? (if that's possible)
Thanks!
Quote by nickw1999
I know the amp I have now won't produce good enough tones like one person said above, but would it produce a better tone than the amp has already? I'm starting to get sick of the terrible bottled up sounding distortion on my amp. I really like John Petrucci's tones especially in the song The Looking Glass. I currently can't afford a tube amp at the moment, but would you be able to list maybe a few under the $700 price range that are good? (if that's possible)
Thanks!

Maybe Marshall DSL40C, although John uses Mesa Mark V, so the Mesa Express 5:25 maybe as the closest on budget but you'll need overdrive in front for a bit more gain/sustain.
I used to have an ME-50, in hindsight its probably my favorite of the half dozen or so mfx I've owned, so I actually just traded a couple pedals for another yesterday and I absolutely love the thing! I've used a Zoom G3 (which may be better for you, it has a looper and drum beats metronome, and it is a killer mfx, especially for the price) for mfx the last few years and the sound q of the ME50 makes the Zoom sound horrible. A few years ago when deciding which to keep, I thought the Boss sounded better but I ended up keeping the G3 cause of its numerous, highly useable functions. But the difference is stark. I'm not a fan of mfx od/distortion, but I was able to dial in a killer gritty clean tone, it truly sounded good (imo). If you don't need amp models or a looper, the ME50 is very hard to beat for the price.

The Zoom G3/X/G5 is another kickass yet affordable mfx. The amp models sound good through headphones, mine is a few years old yet looks and works like new, has a looper, drum beats, usb, all very easy to use, and quick to use on the fly.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by nickw1999
Thanks!

A really good Mfx pedal through a Champion 100 will still probably sound like poo.
Any good used Mesa should get you in the ballpark with Petrucci and several can be found for less than $500. also Jet City is pretty decent for hi gain prog at low cost.

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Nov 19, 2015,
Quote by Cajundaddy
A really good Mfx pedal through a Champion 100 will still probably sound like poo.
Any good used Mesa should get you in the ballpark with Petrucci and several can be found for less than $500. also Jet City is pretty decent for hi gain prog at low cost.

Thanks. Since I'm not too familair with tube amps like I mentioned before, would I be able to hook up a Mesa head to any stack? Or does the stack also have to be from Mesa?
Quote by nickw1999
Thanks. Since I'm not too familair with tube amps like I mentioned before, would I be able to hook up a Mesa head to any stack? Or does the stack also have to be from Mesa?

Any speakers as long as the ohms and wattage ratings are within tolerance.

This is an older classic with big balls:
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/msg/5291699888.html

More versatile but not as hi gain:
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/msd/5306463263.html

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Nov 19, 2015,
Quote by GaryBillington

What do you think about the Digitech RP500?
Quote by nickw1999
What do you think about the Digitech RP500?

I've only had very brief experience with a Digitech unit (can't even remember which model) when trying kit in a shop, but I wasn't impressed enough to give it a more in-depth trial.

I'm sure someone else would be able to give better advice about them than me.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by nickw1999
I currently can't afford a tube amp at the moment, but would you be able to list maybe a few under the $700 price range that are good? (if that's possible)
Thanks!

there are loads of good low watt tube amps around now days. Jet city (the 22H is awesome) and randall diavlo come to mind (quite hard to get outside of the US though), H&K tubemeister, blackstar, vox terror amps etc etc. Keep an eye on things like ebay or what ever the one near you is for bargain secondhand things.
I scored a secondhand EVH 5150iii 50w for $800nz (which is about $530us) and it smokes man
Quote by nickw1999
I've been playing guitar for a couple of years now, but I want to start experimenting with different tones. I know nothing about guitar effects or tones, so I am completely new to this. Many people have told me to buy a multi effects board instead of just buying pedals. I was looking at many but still don't know which one to buy. I looked at the BOSS ME-80 but many reviews said it didn't sound good, and I also looked the the Digitech RP1000. My price range is from $150-$300. Anyone know any good boards I can start out with? Thanks!

Ebay Digitech 2101 multi FX processor.... you won't be sorry. Read up on em.

You can use this stand alone with headphones as well for nighttime playing or if you're an apt dweller.

https://youtu.be/2tivc_PXwIM

His site is down so ya can't get patches from there at the moment.. but if you score one of these hit me up I have the patches.
My newest addition,
2007 Dean Cadi-KILL (Cannibal Corpse) Rob Barrett Signature model to see more of my gear visit my profile.
Last edited by Ikillintel at Nov 21, 2015,
I have an RP355 and wouldn't recommend it. RP500 is basically the same thing with just a bit more stuff in it.

It gets the job done (I use it to record some demos - it came with Cubase LE4 so that's a good thing), but it's nothing special. It's also quite old (7 years), I'm pretty sure that multi FX stuff has got better since it was released.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I owned rp500 until 2 years ago. Great tones and built like a tank. Only issue was the delay between switching sounds of about half a second. Bit shit when kicking in from clean to heavy distortion gap was noticeable. But still a really good bit of kit. Only reason I don't have it now is the other guitarist in my band sounded like shit so I gave it to him...everyones a winner. lol.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
Quote by diabolical
Look up Carvin - they're running blowout deals and you can get their Legacy series loaded with Celestions. I'd go for 2x12.

What do you think about Line 6 tube amps? My friend has one and he says he likes it.
Quote by sytharnia1560
there are loads of good low watt tube amps around now days. Jet city (the 22H is awesome) and randall diavlo come to mind (quite hard to get outside of the US though), H&K tubemeister, blackstar, vox terror amps etc etc. Keep an eye on things like ebay or what ever the one near you is for bargain secondhand things.
I scored a secondhand EVH 5150iii 50w for $800nz (which is about $530us) and it smokes man

Thanks!
Quote by Ikillintel
Ebay Digitech 2101 multi FX processor.... you won't be sorry. Read up on em.

You can use this stand alone with headphones as well for nighttime playing or if you're an apt dweller.

https://youtu.be/2tivc_PXwIM

His site is down so ya can't get patches from there at the moment.. but if you score one of these hit me up I have the patches.

Hey man, thanks for the recommendation. My friend's dad who was a big guitarist in the 80s and 90s let me borrow something like this over the summer. It was a Digitech GSP21 Legend and I didn't really understand it much. All I did was mess around with the presets on it because there was so much options to make tones. Since I'm new to all of this tone stuff, I have no idea how to make tones. I know what effects there are, (reverb, chorus, flanger, etc.) but I just don't know how to replicate a guitar tone from a certain song. (unless someone has a pre made patch I can download and use)
Quote by MaggaraMarine
I have an RP355 and wouldn't recommend it. RP500 is basically the same thing with just a bit more stuff in it.

It gets the job done (I use it to record some demos - it came with Cubase LE4 so that's a good thing), but it's nothing special. It's also quite old (7 years), I'm pretty sure that multi FX stuff has got better since it was released.

Thanks. Right now I think I'm set on getting the Digitech RP360. It looks easy to use, and there are already some presets online. It looks pretty cool with the program that comes with it that you can make tones with.
Quote by nickw1999
What do you think about Line 6 tube amps? My friend has one and he says he likes it.

They are modeling amps with tube gimmick, but I guess they're probably OK for your needs. I think the Line6 Vetta can be had for super cheap now too, so it might be worth looking.
I played one of the line 6 DT 25 amps .... sounded really good. Me and a friend managed to pick the four programmed amps just from the tones...so quite impressed by them
My understanding is a great many MultiFX take the analogue guitar signal and digitise all of it. They then manipulate the digital version of your guitar and, after stripping all soul from the sound, feed what is left through another converter.

MFX are fine for convenience, and as a cheap way to give yourself a pedal board full of effects, but can be a bit like driving a simulator compared to the real thing.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
I have a BOSS GT-8 for 10 years now... it is like a tank and sound very nice... I rarely use the built-in amp emulator or distortions since I got a decent tube amp.

If you can find a used one, I recommend it.
'12 Gibson '58 Re-issue
'14 Fender American Special Stratocaster
'14 Squier Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster
'05 Ibanez RG320FM (With Upgrades)
Laney IRT Studio (IRT112 Cab)
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
BOSS GT-8
Quote by nickw1999
Thanks. Right now I think I'm set on getting the Digitech RP360. It looks easy to use, and there are already some presets online. It looks pretty cool with the program that comes with it that you can make tones with.
If you've got a line on a good deal, then I'd get the RP500 you mentioned before over the RP360. If you are in US ten $125 is a decent price (GC used has several at just over that price w/ return policy guarantee). Make sure you pay attention to the cabinet settings when trying to tweak your tones. The "DIRECT" setting bypasses the cab sim, so you should compare the other cab sims against that.
Not sure if this thread is defunct now and you made your choice, but I had one of the first ME80s in the UK and for home practice and work it was fine. However, if you are in a band and plan to gig with one then it has been an absolute nightmare. The main issue is the volume inconsistency between patches. I am constantly trying to reprogram the unit to get all the volumes to equate, but it is practically impossible. Consequently when playing with my band I switch to a tone and nearly blow the bass players head off and have to react and turn down the volume - I then switch to a solo tone and it is too quiet to be heard.

I am getting rid of the ME-80 at present and switching back to good old separate pedals...
I am a fan of the Boss ME-50. I used an ME-30 for many years and it was pretty good but the ME-50 is much better. I find the Boss pedals easy to program and that's a big consideration in any multi pedal. I had an earlier ZOOM pedal and it was garbage but I understand that they are much improved now.

One thing to consider is how you will be using your multi effects. Some of these units are not "stage" friendly. I have a Digitech RP155 that I use in my home studio and while the sounds are really good it is not the kind of pedal that works well in a live situation. The reason is because you need to scroll through your patches to change to the next patch. This is not possible in a live situation where you need to jump between patches a moments notice. If you just plan on using your multi effects pedal at home or in a studio situation it doesn't matter but if you are playing live it's a major consideration.

One last bit of advice. Ebay is a great source. People are always upgrading and there are lots of good bargains on barely used pedals.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.