I have a Variax and I love using the alt tuning mechanism.

I like the concept of using one guitar with drastic multiple tunings, an of course, changing the tuning physically is not really reliable when you're going so many semitones up and down.

I got a morpheus and I love it, but it's not very portable.
Is there any pitch shifter out there that is:
1) sounds nice
2) polyphonic
3) battery compatable
4) compact
5) can go down at least 5 semitones without skipping any semitones between.

What is the best option?
I was going to get the Digitech Drop but it's Adapter only.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
I have the digitech drop and more than 3 or 4 steps down just sounds terrible, For me anyways. Very muddy. This is the only one I've used so not sure if that's normal or not.
Quote by esky15
I have the digitech drop and more than 3 or 4 steps down just sounds terrible, For me anyways. Very muddy. This is the only one I've used so not sure if that's normal or not.

It's because a lot of pitch shifter pedals use basic pitch shifting mechanisms.

If you look at decent pitch shifting software and plugins, they have "formant preservation", or "timbre preservation", which gets rid of artifacts associated with pitch shifting, such as pitch shifting upwards causing the "chipmunk effect", or pitch shifting downwards causing all the high end to die.

With Formant preservation, you compensate how the tone is effected by shifting the harmonics up or down.
The drawback of this though is that on how strong the preservation is, limits the range of the notes. If you play a note too far high or low, it will add harmonic noises. The best thing to do is to set the range of the instrument or sounds.

Sadly, the droptune doesn't have this. The only one I know that has this is the morpheus Capo, to keep the guitar from sounding nasally, but even the morpheus Droptune doesn't have any preservation methods.

My Variax has formant preservation, but if you go below 7 semitones, it still gets a bit muddy, but sounds better than other pitch shifters. Shifting up still sounds nasally, but not as bad as traditional pitch shifters.

Back on topic: I tried getting a Behringer pitch shifter but it was broken when I got in in the mail. It skips some semitones though, which is annoying.

Does anyone have any experience with the EHX pitch fork?
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
I had the chance to use the Digitech drop, and it sounded passable to me. But i only used it from standard to C, so 4 semitones.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
I use the Pitchfork. It's nice. I never go more than a whole step with it, tho.
Quote by jpnyc
I use the Pitchfork. It's nice. I never go more than a whole step with it, tho.

How far can you go with it, and what increments? Does it skip any?
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Quote by NakedInTheRain
yeah, it skips the minor third. like i said a few posts up.

so the 3rd semitone down and up are skipped?
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Quote by Clay-man
so the 3rd semitone down and up are skipped?

To elaborate, it has the same range up and down. The knob only selects increments; there’s a switch for up and down.
Quote by Clay-man
I have a Variax and I love using the alt tuning mechanism.
What is the best option?

The best option is still the Variax, but the newer ones are much easier to use in this regard. And if you've got a Pod foot pedal or rack version with a foot pedal, you can store changes in the user presets.

The MIDI setups do this pretty well.

But if I were picking a reasonably priced battery powered polyphonic pitch shifter, I guess it would be the pitchfork.