Page 1 of 3
Oxford English Dictionaries' 2015 Word of the Year is not a word. It's this emoji.

I find this to be interesting, and a testament to how language changes. It's interesting to see how we've regressed to using images as written language.

Other nominees were "lumbersexual" and singular "they." The singular "they" one is something I sort of expected to see on the list, even though I'm opposed to its usage in some circumstances.

If you're particularly lame, talk about how you've "lost your faith in humanity" or how you "don't want to live in this planet anymore."

Anyway, here's a link,
Free Ali
Last edited by chrismendiola at Nov 17, 2015,
Interesting indeed. I use lots of emojis but I rarely use that one. I wonder why they picked that one - do other people really use it that much? Is its meaning reflective of 2015?
cat
Quote by chrismendiola
If you're particularly lane
aha.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by guitarxo
Interesting indeed. I use lots of emojis but I rarely use that one. I wonder why they picked that one - do other people really use it that much? Is its meaning reflective of 2015?

Yeah, I see this all of the time on my Twitter and Instagram feed. I'd actually be surprised if any other emoji other than this one were chosen.
Free Ali
bet a lot of prescriptivists are real salty.

a singular they is way more useful though
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
i think it's stupid, but of course it's stupid. if it wasn't stupid, people wouldn't care.
Quote by Jackintehbox
i think it's stupid, but of course it's stupid. if it wasn't stupid, people wouldn't care.

it's only stupid if you have no understanding of how language works
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by chrismendiola
Yeah, I see this all of the time on my Twitter and Instagram feed. I'd actually be surprised if any other emoji other than this one were chosen.

I don't use twitter but I usually see these on insta: 😻🍻🙏💩💪🎉

I want to know if there are regional variations
cat
Quote by BladeSlinger
bet a lot of prescriptivists are real salty.

a singular they is way more useful though

Not really. The word "one" already serves that purpose, but it also makes you sound like a fucking dork. On the other hand, a singular "they" addresses the gender neutrality issue, but may also lead to confusion with pronoun agreement. The meaning of "everybody gets their share" could be lost on the reader, especially without context. Using "one" may be really lame and tryhard, but at least it's always clear.
Free Ali
:')
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
because millions of teenagers with iphones find everything hilarious.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Between 😂, "lumbersexual" and singular they (which I'm assuming is a trans rights thing) 😂 is by far the best choice.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by chrismendiola
Not really. The word "one" already serves that purpose, but it also makes you sound like a fucking dork. On the other hand, a singular "they" addresses the gender neutrality issue, but may also lead to confusion with pronoun agreement. The meaning of "everybody gets their share" could be lost on the reader, especially without context. Using "one" may be really lame and tryhard, but at least it's always clear.

Uh, what?

"The police officer crossed the street. One entered the grocery store."

What the fuck?

"The police officer crossed the street. They entered the grocery store."
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by guitarxo
I don't use twitter but I usually see these on insta: 😻🍻🙏💩💪🎉

I want to know if there are regional variations

It's all over Instagram comment sections. Especially black people. Black people love that emoji. Or really anyone from an urban area, really.
Free Ali
Quote by BladeSlinger
Uh, what?

"The police officer crossed the street. One entered the grocery store."

What the fuck?

"The police officer crossed the street. They entered the grocery store."

Pronoun antecedent agreement. That's the right term for it, isn't it?

"Everybody gets their share" vs. "everybody gets his or her own share" or "everybody gets one's own share."
Free Ali
Quote by chrismendiola
Pronoun antecedent agreement. That's the right term for it, isn't it?

"Everybody gets their share" vs. "everybody gets his or her own share."

but it's irrelevant in this situation. This isn't about prescriptive rules. This about about shifting usage in practice.

Whom is hardly used and who is taking over objective and subjective. big fucking deal. Multiple verbs are shifting from irregular to regular. alert the press
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by ErikLensherr
singular they (which I'm assuming is a trans rights thing)

I don't think it is, at least not primarily. You probably use it all of the time without realizing it. It's most commonly used when the subject of a sentence's gender is unknown, so "they" or "their" would be used.
Free Ali
"Singular they" is really funny. It feels like deliberate conflation, and ultimately, a game of social dominance. A singular multiple. I suppose it makes sense in the same way that "8" makes sense: a single character that demonstrates eight (singular discrete) units.

If someone insists upon being called "they", it only makes me realize that the person has realized that their "self" is a collection of billions of cells (and trillions of atoms), or that they want to control how you speak about them. At that point, I'd argue that the person cannot seriously be speaking for the sentience of the hydrogen and carbon that makes their composition.
Quote by chrismendiola
It's interesting to see how we've regressed to using images as written language.

All written language is images. Inscriptions of curves, dots, and lines. They are no more absurd than an emoticon.
Oh, I didn't even see that you used the word "regressed". get the fuck out

^You're operating on the idea that they is inherently plural. Old English has singular neutral pronouns. Pronouns are subject to change all the time.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Nov 17, 2015,
Quote by BladeSlinger
but it's irrelevant in this situation. This isn't about prescriptive rules. This about about shifting usage in practice.

Whom is hardly used and who is taking over objective and subjective. big fucking deal. Multiple verbs are shifting from irregular to regular. alert the press

Bud, I know that you know I'm not a prescriptivist. We've definitely had this conversation before. I'm saying that the usage could possibly lead to confusion. Singular "they" isn't really useful, if you think about it, because we already have gender neutral pronouns- we just don't like how they sound. I'm talking about how the fact that "they" can be perceived as either singular or plural without any distinction since the word can have two different meanings that are nearly opposite from one another- you have to draw from the context of the conversation.

It's different from "who" vs. "whom" because those would be really describing the same subject.
Free Ali
wait guys, you was the plural pronoun for centuries so I'm really having trouble understanding what you're saying

pls explain

^Dude, you're argument is full of holes. One, yes it is useful. What could neuter pronoun could replace "they" in my example? Also, "you" used to be one form of many and was plural. It eventually covered singular and plural. Now it's entirely singular and we're integrating words to add plurality, "you all".

It's happened before. It will continue to happen. If it's happening in the spoken language now then it obviously won't lead to that much confusion outside of prescriptive settings.

that's not even mentioning the shit ton of words that function as both singular and plural.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by chrismendiola at #33687815
I don't think it is, at least not primarily. You probably use it all of the time without realizing it. It's most commonly used when the subject of a sentence's gender is unknown, so "they" or "their" would be used.

Yeah but why highlight it now? Probably ties into Caitlyn Jenner and all that kinda stuff.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Yeah but why highlight it now? Probably ties into Caitlyn Jenner and all that kinda stuff.

it's been a thing for a long time but im glad you somehow found a way to whine about social justice stuff

not everything is some kind of political scheme
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger at #33687838
it's been a thing for a long time but im glad you somehow found a way to whine about social justice stuff

not everything is some kind of political scheme

I'm not whining I'm just pointing it out.

And yeah, I was right.

http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2015/11/word-of-the-year-2015-shortlist

The pronoun they is one of the most common words in English, but it has been thrust into the spotlight recently with reference to people with non-binary gender identities (that is, people who identify as neither male nor female).
Quote by jakesmellspoo
It needed to be done regardless because we lack a word with that grammatical function.

The transgender movement to change it is just part of the ongoing discussion

It sounded like you were being all 'oh well i bet this is because of those TRANSGENDER people trying to change everything'. sorry if that was inaccurate

i get excited about words cause im a nerd
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
what's a word?

i don't think emojis represent any halfway significant change to english. there seems to be some misunderstanding among out-of-touch people that emojis are used lexically.
Quote by BladeSlinger at #33687843
It needed to be done regardless because we lack a word with that grammatical function.

The transgender movement to change it is just part of the ongoing discussion

It sounded like you were being all 'oh well i bet this is because of those TRANSGENDER people trying to change everything'. sorry if that was inaccurate

i get excited about words cause im a nerd

I've never had a problem with the transgender community, I love them and they're the best
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Quote by Eastwinn
what's a word?

Words are events.
i don't think emojis represent any halfway significant change to english. there seems to be some misunderstanding among out-of-touch people that emojis are used lexically.

In what way(s) are emojis used then? Do they not constitute an attempt at transferring information in a way that is meant to be read?
Quote by Zaphikh
All written language is images. Inscriptions of curves, dots, and lines. They are no more absurd than an emoticon.

It is different though. Now we're using an image of someone experiencing the emotion instead of a word to describe it.
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Quote by Gatecrasher53
It is different though.

It isn't though.
Quote by Gatecrasher53
It is different though. Now we're using an image of someone experiencing the emotion instead of a word to describe it.

so all visual forms of communications aren't words? sign language is a sham we've been tricked into?
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
It kind of is though. English words require explanation, a dictionary, context within a sentence to understand their meaning. Emojis take the visual context that would usually be on your face and transfer it to written form. Emojis aren't specific to a language because Any human can read a face hopefully.
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Quote by BladeSlinger
Oh, I didn't even see that you used the word "regressed". get the fuck out

"Regress" often implies something negative, but I wasn't using it in that context. All I mean is that we're doing something that was in the past. I guess that's my bad, but I actually did give my word choice there some thought and I figured nobody would take it that way, but on your insistence, I will get the fuck out of my own thread.
Quote by BladeSlinger
^Dude, you're argument is full of holes. One, yes it is useful. What could neuter pronoun could replace "they" in my example?

The ones associated with Tumblr leftists were the ones (e.g. thon/xyr/xim), to name a few. There are also tons of obscure ones nobody knows about. I'm not saying singular "they" doesn't serve a purpose. We don't need singular "they," it's just the one that's become most popular to mend the issue of gender neutrality.

Quote by BladeSlinger
Also, "you" used to be one form of many and was plural. It eventually covered singular and plural. Now it's entirely singular and we're integrating words to add plurality, "you all".

Well, yes, but that's exactly what I'm saying- the fact that "they" is both singular and plural could cause confusion, but I didn't say that issue could never be fixed. I'm saying that as of right now, we don't have a way to distinguish between singular "they" and plural "they."

Quote by BladeSlinger
t's happened before. It will continue to happen. If it's happening in the spoken language now then it obviously won't lead to that much confusion outside of prescriptive settings.

I seriously don't know why you're saying this, because we've had conversations before making fun of prescriptivists.

I didn't say it would lead to mass confusion or anything. I'm saying it could lead to some confusion unless we find a way to distinguish between the plural and the singular usage- it's currently flawed. I'm sure that as a graduate English student, you're able to see that the way "they" is ambiguous as of right now. I'm not saying that it's wrong. I'm not saying that it shouldn't used. I'm saying that there ought to be a way to distinguish between the two.

Honestly, though, this is making my eyes roll because it seems like you're trying to stir some shit even though I'm not really disagreeing with you nor am I actually making the arguments you seem to think I'm making. I think you're getting the wrong idea about my issues with singular "they."
Free Ali
Last edited by chrismendiola at Nov 17, 2015,
Page 1 of 3