Page 1 of 3
They're real, and they're living in our country.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
I believe in aliens. I think it is impossible, with the vastness of our universe, that Earth is the only place that life developed.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Yeah. I mean I hope they're out there, I don't assume it. I believe they're possible and more than likely. I wish we'd see some evidence of that in our lifetime.
I won't care unless they show up

and take our jerbs!
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by Guitardude19
I believe in aliens. I think it is impossible, with the vastness of our universe, that Earth is the only place that life developed.

Yeah this.
I'm 100% certain intelligent alien life exists in the Universe. Guitardude is right...it's preposterous to think we are the only sentient beings in a universe so large.
Quote by TobusRex
I'm 100% certain intelligent alien life exists in the Universe. Guitardude is right...it's preposterous to think we are the only sentient beings in a universe so large.

Why?

If the universe was really really small, say the size of our solar system, but we could make life really easily in many different conditions in a lab, we would expect life to be on most planets.

But we don't know how Life happens.

Perhaps it's a one time thing?
Quote by onelove50
Why?

If the universe was really really small, say the size of our solar system, but we could make life really easily in many different conditions in a lab, we would expect life to be on most planets.

But we don't know how Life happens.

Perhaps it's a one time thing?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation

While putting accurate values on the variables is difficult, you'd have to really weight them against multiple instances of intelligent life for that to fart out a result that means there's just us.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
The Drake equation seems to have error bars wider than our galaxy.

"Putting accurate values on the variables" we don't know what ALL the variables are, and untill we do the size of the universe is irrelevant.

What we know is that all living organisms we’ve ever looked at are plainly related and so, almost certainly derived from a single common ancestor or event. If life arose more than once or repeatedly then all of the separate origins must've disappeared without trace, or never happened at all.

And why are they not arising on Earth now.

Because the Earth had to be in such a specific state for it to occur. The conditions or events needed to "spark" life are quite different from those that simply sustain it?

So unless you can put your finger on those conditions or events, that was so specific, it has seemed to only have happened once here, scale is irrelevant.
Quote by matt bickerton
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”

Also when talking about origins of life, its not just science but history too.
Quote by onelove50
The Drake equation seems to have error bars wider than our galaxy.

"Putting accurate values on the variables" we don't know what ALL the variables are, and untill we do the size of the universe is irrelevant.

What we know is that all living organisms we’ve ever looked at are plainly related and so, almost certainly derived from a single common ancestor or event. If life arose more than once or repeatedly then all of the separate origins must've disappeared without trace, or never happened at all.

And why are they not arising on Earth now.

Because the Earth had to be in such a specific state for it to occur. The conditions or events needed to "spark" life are quite different from those that simply sustain it?

So unless you can put your finger on those conditions or events, that was so specific, it has seemed to only have happened once here, scale is irrelevant.

We do know what the variables are.

And, as you're talking about life, we can ignore the final 3 variables(chances of intelligence, chances of that intelligence developing technology to attempt interstellar communications and lifespan of such a civilisation), and not limiting it to out galaxy, we can also hugely increase the scope of the first to rate of star formation in the universe.

Therefore, this modified Drake equation leaves little doubt that other life is likely to exist or have existed in the universe.
Quote by Diemon Dave
We don't know what the variables are, or we would be creating life for ourselves.
Quote by onelove50
We don't know what the variables are, or we would be creating life for ourselves.

We do know what they are.

We do not know the mechanics of it, but that doesn't matter for the Drake equation, because it is top-down. the mechanics are irrelevant.

Just like your posts.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by onelove50
So are the mechanics for making a cake irrelevant?

I like your posts too.

They are if you're looking at an equation designed to calculate the probability that cake exists elsewhere in the galaxy.
Quote by Diemon Dave
There is no probability of cakes existing, without the mechanics that make them.
Quote by onelove50
There is no probability of cakes existing, without the mechanics that make them.

There is no probability of understanding, when your mother drank heavily and smoked 80 a day while pregnant with you.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by Guitardude19

Quote by TobusRex

Nope.

It's not impossible that we are the only ones.

You're both engaging in a logical fallacy, that of claiming that probability is governed by very large numbers and that a sufficiently large number is therefore equal to certainty.

You both have about the same amount of evidence for your belief as the amount that exists for the existence of G_D...

I personally believe in the existence of both G_D and aliens, but I recognize the lack of evidence for either.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Nov 18, 2015,
I believe it's possible that aliens exist.

I also believe it's possible that aliens don't exist. Either way, I'm not really bothered to find out
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
No. Space is an illusion created by NASA in an attempt to get taxpayer dollars.
Quote by WaterGod
No. Space is an illusion created by NASA in an attempt to get taxpayer dollars.

Given their minimal budget, and what they have accomplished to get it, they aren't doing a very good job then.
Charles Darwin
I imagine so, but I very much doubt they'd be anything like any creatures from Earth given the differing atmospheres/gravity/distance from star/climate/elemental makeup of the various planets discovered so far.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by Arby911
Nope.

You're both engaging in a logical fallacy, that of claiming that probability is governed by very large numbers and that a sufficiently large number is therefore equal to certainty.

You both have about the same amount of evidence for your belief as the amount that exists for the existence of G_D...

I personally believe in the existence of both G_D and aliens, but I recognize the lack of evidence for either.

This works the other way too, as I was trying to point out.

Just because we are the only example of life on this planet, from one ancestor or event, doe's not mean it can't happen else where.

But when we don't even know how that event actually happened, to assume it's happening on every Earth like planet is just wishful thinking.

It's the best place to look, I'll give you that.
Last edited by onelove50 at Nov 18, 2015,
Quote by Arby911
Nope.

Thank you for pulling me up on my post. It was a poor choice of words. I find it highly unlikely that humans are the only life forms in the entire universe.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Quote by Guitardude19
Thank you for pulling me up on my post. It was a poor choice of words. I find it highly unlikely that humans are the only life forms in the entire universe.

As do I. But I've got fuck-all evidence to support that, excepting my mental incapacity to comprehend how it could not be, given the vastness we are discussing.

See, I'm a victim to the same fallacy, I'm just more aware of it...
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
As do I. But I've got fuck-all evidence to support that, excepting my mental incapacity to comprehend how it could not be, given the vastness we are discussing.

See, I'm a victim to the same fallacy, I'm just more aware of it...

You seem to be pretty condescending from that post....
Quote by VillainousLatin
You seem to be pretty condescending from that post....

Not at all, I'd already called the fallacy for what it was, and the post was intended as self-deprecating as even though I'm aware of the fallacy, I still submit to it, and the emoticon might be a clue as well.

But as we've seen here today on a few occasions already, if there's any possible way take offense, someone will.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Not at all, I'd already called the fallacy for what it was, and the post was intended as self-deprecating as even though I'm aware of the fallacy, I still submit to it, and the emoticon might be a clue as well.

But as we've seen here today on a few occasions already, if there's any possible way take offense, someone will.

Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by Arby911
Nope.

To be fare we have more evidence that Alien's exist, because WE exist.
We have no example of gods or God.
Quote by onelove50
To be fare we have more evidence that Alien's exist, because WE exist.
We have no example of gods or God.

I'm not sure that's as valid as you think it is. That we exist is in no way evidence that others do.
Charles Darwin
Page 1 of 3