Hey guys!

A few months ago I finally got a electric guitar after wanting to get into playing guitar for years!

I love it so far, and I'm learning pretty fast but the problem the tone doesn't sound that great which is pretty demotivational.

I have a Ibanez GIO GSA60 and the amp is a Roland Micro Cube GX

I play a lot of Metalcore, Hardcore, death metal etc.

What should I invest in to get my guitar to sound better?
Should I get a new amp? Or install better pickups on my guitar?

Thanks!
Quote by paulomalonga
Hey guys!

A few months ago I finally got a electric guitar after wanting to get into playing guitar for years!

I love it so far, and I'm learning pretty fast but the problem the tone doesn't sound that great which is pretty demotivational.

Thanks!

Practice is what you should be investing in right now. Your amp is nothing more than a beginners practice amp, but should work just fine to learn with (deff better than I had starting). But until you get somewhat proficient on guitar even a $5000 amp is not going to help more than what you currently have..
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
For what you listed you'll want to start saving up for a high gain tube amp like a 6505. Also worth investing in a tube screamer pedal to keep things tight. Even though the cube is a good practice amp don't bother with pickups, you'll only be wasting your cash. A great guitar through a crappy amp will sound like crap, a crappy guitar through a great amp will sound good. Don't get too caught up on gear right now though just worry about practicing.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
Last edited by ltdguy27 at Nov 18, 2015,
Quote by paulomalonga

Practice time.
Don't bother with pickups in that guitar.

I would look into a used peavey 6505+ combo. $350-400ish used. A tube screamer and a noise gate will come in handy.

Then I would look for a new guitar down the line.

Practice is what is most important now.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
A better amp may motivate you to practice more, so I say new amp.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
I wouldn't bother buying a tube amp at the moment. I may be walking on thin ice here, but I don't think that tubes will sound very different than digital amps to anyone who doesn't have an extremely attuned ear. If you're playing for an audience of people who can tell the difference (that is, an audience of electric guitar enthusiasts), then sure, get a tube amp. But if you're jamming with friends who can't tell, or playing at bars for people who certainly can't tell, and sitting around playing music by yourself and you can't tell, then why bother spending the money?
Quote by Mythopoeios
I wouldn't bother buying a tube amp at the moment. I may be walking on thin ice here, but I don't think that tubes will sound very different than digital amps to anyone who doesn't have an extremely attuned ear. If you're playing for an audience of people who can tell the difference (that is, an audience of electric guitar enthusiasts), then sure, get a tube amp. But if you're jamming with friends who can't tell, or playing at bars for people who certainly can't tell, and sitting around playing music by yourself and you can't tell, then why bother spending the money?

When it comes to cheap solid state amps, the differences between them and tube amps are more apparent. If you cannot hear any difference now, don't worry; you will as you gain experience.

It isn't just a matter of how the amp sounds on face value either, it's also the very important matter of how the amp reacts to the way you play. What the attack envelope feels like the very moment you strike the strings, the smoothness of the transition between a signal that's clean and a signal that begins to distort. How the amp brings out more nuances in different guitars. All of these things seem impossible to perceive to someone of little experience, but it's something you gain an appreciation of over time. Consider this when buying a new amp. Play with some good tube amps for a little while and the differences may become noticeable.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 18, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
When it comes to cheap solid state amps, the differences between them and tube amps are more apparent. If you cannot hear any difference now, don't worry; you will as you gain experience.

It isn't just a matter of how the amp sounds on face value either, it's also the very important matter of how the amp reacts to the way you play. What the attack envelope feels like the very moment you strike the strings, the smoothness of the transition between a signal that's clean and a signal that begins to distort. How the amp brings out more nuances in different guitars. All of these things seem impossible to perceive to someone of little experience, but it's something you gain an appreciation of over time. Consider this when buying a new amp. Play with some good tube amps for a little while and the differences may become noticeable.

Well, I've been playing for a decent amount of time, but I've only messed around on a tube amp, like, twice. So that probably has something to do with it. I also don't really play live and very rarely jam with friends. I'm a record direct-to-computer kind of guy. Typically, I just forget about an amp and record through a line-in with a nice MFX that does what I need, then just feed that directly into the comptuer. So maybe I'm not very qualified here, since my experience/style is kind of non-standard (unless you're into poorly-produced one-man black metal like the crap I play ).
Don't upgrade the Pickups, you're better off buying a new guitar instead. I'd suggest you get a 30 watt Line 6 Spider or some kind of 30 watt peavey.
Quote by dspellman
Practice time.

+1
Worry about gear later.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Roland cube is fine for the beginning.
sure.. practice ist the thing to go for... but in my opinion, if you hate your guitar's sound as much as i did hate mine... get an emg-81 or similiar for your bridge. i paid 70€ for the set .. and though everyone (even in the shop) said it would be useless and i should rather get a new guitar/amp, i really enjoy the sound now and it now sounds much better in my ears ...
personally, i just cant stand the sound of the cheap, passive pickups..
Quote by fabianaryo
Don't upgrade the Pickups, you're better off buying a new guitar instead. I'd suggest you get a 30 watt Line 6 Spider or some kind of 30 watt peavey.

i would skip on the spider.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Robbgnarly
Practice is what you should be investing in right now. Your amp is nothing more than a beginners practice amp, but should work just fine to learn with (deff better than I had starting). But until you get somewhat proficient on guitar even a $5000 amp is not going to help more than what you currently have..

Bingo.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
For a battery powered amp, that cube is great. If you want a heavier sound, crank everything up on it...volume, gain, tone, extreme, literally everything and keep the master volume down. It'll give you a pretty heavy sound.
Quote by paulomalonga
Hey guys!

Thanks!

An acoustic guitar.
Builds better hand strength, sounds better, easier to learn on...
Quote by pant4797
For a battery powered amp, that cube is great. If you want a heavier sound, crank everything up on it...volume, gain, tone, extreme, literally everything and keep the master volume down. It'll give you a pretty heavy sound.

Crank everything up to get a heavy sound? Are you trolling or...?

Quote by smokewoodblues
An acoustic guitar.
Builds better hand strength, sounds better, easier to learn on...

I doubt he would enjoy an acoustic guitar since he likes to play Metalcore and Hardcore.

I may agree to some point on the better hand strength, but sounding better? That's awfully subjective and depends on what you want to play. Easier to learn on? Neither is objectively better to learn on, it all comes down to what you want to achieve and what you want to play.
Quote by DanyFS
Crank everything up to get a heavy sound? Are you trolling or...?

I doubt he would enjoy an acoustic guitar since he likes to play Metalcore and Hardcore.

I may agree to some point on the better hand strength, but sounding better? That's awfully subjective and depends on what you want to play. Easier to learn on? Neither is objectively better to learn on, it all comes down to what you want to achieve and what you want to play.

Sounds better as in you don't need an amp and you just hear the guitar.

Better to learn on - as in once you can play an acoustic, an electric is like butter.

My advice - don't try to learn a style until you learn basic chords, strumming, and scales.

peace on
Quote by smokewoodblues
Sounds better as in you don't need an amp and you just hear the guitar.

...which is why OP has an amp.

Quote by smokewoodblues
Better to learn on - as in once you can play an acoustic, an electric is like butter.

Great if you want to play acoustic/clean stuff. A lot to spend if the clean stuff OP will play is restricted to the odd intro and suchlike. Honestly, I also question the actual benefit of learning on acoustic. It basically (after a few discouraging weeks) gives you an advantage in finger strength, which quickly becomes a non-issue.

Quote by smokewoodblues
My advice - don't try to learn a style until you learn basic chords, strumming, and scales.

peace on

Why not both? There's a lot of technique for metal and similar genres that's worth getting used to early on It also takes away the element of similarity to that violin your parents made you learn to play when you were five; if someone learns early on to play stuff they actually want to play there's far more reason for them to want to improve.

I basically agree with all the people saying "practice". Give it a year or two and if you have the money to invest then you'll have a much better chance of choosing something that'll last you a long time.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
+10 to practice.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.