Got my eye on a second hand Dual Dark 50 for excellent value - however I'd need to get rid of my current amp to break even (price of the second hand DD50 would match it).

Current amp is an Orange OR100 so they're similar from the get go, although owning this amp has told me I don't really use cleans that much and I don't really need 100w, but the Orange drive channel is to die for, so the Dual Dark immediately caught my eye with their two gain channels (no cleans on this so I hear).

They're supposed to be higher gain but I've never been able to play one. The music I play is bottom heavy sludgy hardcore (we play fast and slow songs) with a little bit of chug here and there with a Schecter Blackjack w/ SD Blackouts.

So yeah...any of you folks tried one out? How do they compare against the OR100 (or indeed any of the other high power Orange heads)?
I like the Rockerverbs and thunderverb better than the dual dark. I was disappointed in the dual dark.

My favorite orange is the Rockerverb 50 mk1. My second favorite is the thunderverb 200. Kind of sounds odd as they are my favorite as they are quite different. My Rockerverb 50mk1 will never leave. It can get good and sludgey with a droptuned SG with a pair of EMG'S. 500T's also go with it quite nicely, and you still have nice cleans, and beautiful bluesy grit.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thunderverb is like the holy grail for me when it comes to Orange (well, apart from a vintage OR120) but they're out of my price range. Can't really see many going second hand because...well, who would sell one?

I've tried a RV mkII and always preferred the OR100...what makes the mkI any different?
The 50mki has 4x 6v6's in the power-section. I prefer that over the el34 based Rockerverbs. Its a little nastier IMO. I Think the cleans are better on the mki's, but some debate that. I have a/b'd a bunch of oranges one time at a shop. I picked the 50mki over the others and it was substantially cheaper. $890 used out the door.

I haven't tried the new mkiii Rockerverbs yet though.

I am not sure why, but I was underwhelmed with the dual dark
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/