Hi guys!

Since a month ago I've been with the idea of starting recording bass and guitar videos...
So far I've learned how to record video and audio and combine both on a same file.

My gear is this:
PRS S2 CU24 and Laney IRT Studio
Yamaha TRBX 305 and Carvin MB15

For now I've been recording only guitar with the IRT Studio which is great so far but I'm not sure about the best way to record the bass guitar...

Also, my laptop (I'm on windows btw) doesn't have a good camera so what I have in mind is recording with my cellphone camera that can record HD at 30fps while recording the audio with audacity, with the guitar I can use the laney and I think it can work well...

The thing is, I know I need something else for recording bass and I read people says "use this interface" and other says "use a DI" and other... "use a mic"

So, rightnow I guess I don't have problems recording the guitar, except for very small latency issues... but If I'm gonna buy an interface or something else, I'd like to get something that can do the job for guitar and bass, and if I can also use a mic well that's awesome!

Do you recommend me using an interface for the guitar or should I stay recording through the IRT Studio? by the way, can I connect and amp to hear it while recording? or I shouldnt record while using amp?

Can I get a better sound if I use the IRT Studio through a DI box or audio interface?

Someone recommend me the Focusrite 2i4 but im new to all of this so I'd like to read some advices before buying...

Do I need different tools for guitar and bass or can I record both with the same tool?
and another thing, I also read that is recommended to record through bot DI and mic to get the better sound, is there something that let's me do all of this? record bass, guitar and also mic the cabs?

Thanks guys, hope you can help me!
P.D. if you say that using a mic is the best option I heard the Shure SM58 is the best option, is that right? for bass and guitar?

BUDGET: almost forget this! I don't know how expensive this things are... but my budget would be around the price of the Focusrite 2i4 more or less!

Thanks!

Edit:

O yeah! BTW I don't have a guitar cab right now but Im saving to buy a 212 or maybe a 112 since I only play at home haha, with v30 obviously!
Last edited by carpercen at Nov 18, 2015,
You're using Audacity? I recommend Reaper, free (technically) and much much better than Audacity.

Take a look at the Recording sticky: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1658707

About the mic, that would be the SM57. SM58 is for vocals.

I have no experience with your amps, but you could try amp and cab sims provived you have an interface too. Just connect the guitar to the interface, interface to PC, and on your DAW open up the amp sims. You have all the info you need on the introdution to recording sticky.

For a list of amp sims, IRs, etc, check this sticky: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1522593
Quote by DanyFS
You're using Audacity? I recommend Reaper, free (technically) and much much better than Audacity.

Take a look at the Recording sticky: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1658707

About the mic, that would be the SM57. SM58 is for vocals.

I have no experience with your amps, but you could try amp and cab sims provived you have an interface too. Just connect the guitar to the interface, interface to PC, and on your DAW open up the amp sims. You have all the info you need on the introdution to recording sticky.

For a list of amp sims, IRs, etc, check this sticky: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1522593

But then my IRT Studio is useles? or can I play with it through the audio interfacE?
Have you tried recording bass via the IRT? Just pick a clean setting and go. The cab emulation will probably be an extra plus.

Get some decent recording software, Studio One Artist is free now (I think), Reaper is trialware (free with nag screen), and there are lots of affordable cheap software, the likes of Mixcraft, N-Track, Tracktion, etc...
Quote by carpercen
But then my IRT Studio is useles? or can I play with it through the audio interfacE?

Depends if you prefer the sound of your IRT Studio or amp sims. Experiment.

Doesn't the IRT Studio has an USB out? If yes, you don't need an interface.
You can use an SM-57 or SM-58 for vocals or guitar cabs - they're the same mic capsule inside each mic.

You can run the bass into a DI, then run the DI into the interface. Another option is to mic the bass cab, but you'll want a mic designed for kick drums or bass in this application. You can try using an SM-57/58 on the bass cab, but you'll get better results with the correct mic. If your budget allows, you can also look into buying a Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI for under $200. For around $150 you can buy a mic designed for bass frequencies. I'm running a Kemper Profiler Amp here for bass, but it's probably outside of your budget. You can also try running the bass straight into your interface, but you'll get better sound using one of the options already mentioned. If you have access to some amp plug-ins, just plug straight into the interface and use them.
Quote by diabolical
Have you tried recording bass via the IRT? Just pick a clean setting and go. The cab emulation will probably be an extra plus.

Get some decent recording software, Studio One Artist is free now (I think), Reaper is trialware (free with nag screen), and there are lots of affordable cheap software, the likes of Mixcraft, N-Track, Tracktion, etc...

But wouldn't be risky? I mean, being a guitar amp, wouldn't it ruin it if I put a bass through it?
Quote by DanyFS
Depends if you prefer the sound of your IRT Studio or amp sims. Experiment.

Doesn't the IRT Studio has an USB out? If yes, you don't need an interface.

Yes! I've been recording with it through Audacity... As I dont have a cab yet I've been having fun recordin haha!
But what I was wondering it's what do I need then to record bass?
Quote by KG6_Steven
You can use an SM-57 or SM-58 for vocals or guitar cabs - they're the same mic capsule inside each mic.

You can run the bass into a DI, then run the DI into the interface. Another option is to mic the bass cab, but you'll want a mic designed for kick drums or bass in this application. You can try using an SM-57/58 on the bass cab, but you'll get better results with the correct mic. If your budget allows, you can also look into buying a Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI for under $200. For around $150 you can buy a mic designed for bass frequencies. I'm running a Kemper Profiler Amp here for bass, but it's probably outside of your budget. You can also try running the bass straight into your interface, but you'll get better sound using one of the options already mentioned. If you have access to some amp plug-ins, just plug straight into the interface and use them.

I had in mind the Focusrite 2i4, don't want to spend that much as this is only for home... my bass amp has a DI out, and my bass is active... so, I don't know, I wanted to try recording bass through the IRT Studio but i don't know how safe it would be...
Running bass through guitar amp will only blow up the speaker as the bass has some low frequencies that the guitar cab can't handle. That will happen after a while and at extreme volume settings, as the speaker cone needs to stretch out.

Actually one of the hidden studio tricks for bass is running it though a guitar amp on crunch setting and recording that via DI or a bass cab hooked to the guitar cabinet. Some of the guitar speakers are also fuller range than say the standard Celestions and can handle it as well. I have a Fender Champion 112 that I played bass through for 2 years in a band and it has no damage.

You should be safe with the IRT, that's a direct tube recording device, right?
Last edited by diabolical at Nov 18, 2015,
Quote by diabolical
Running bass through guitar amp will only blow up the speaker as the bass has some low frequencies that the guitar cab can't handle. That will happen after a while and at extreme volume settings, as the speaker cone needs to stretch out.

Actually one of the hidden studio tricks for bass is running it though a guitar amp on crunch setting and recording that via DI or a bass cab hooked to the guitar cabinet. Some of the guitar speakers are also fuller range than say the standard Celestions and can handle it as well. I have a Fender Champion 112 that I played bass through for 2 years in a band and it has no damage.

You should be safe with the IRT, that's a direct tube recording device, right?

Yeap!
It's a head/rack tube thing... 3 preamp and 2 power valves... I don't know that much in that matter... so you think it should be fine to record my bass through the IRT then?