Is this song in key of Dm (I personaly think that it is), but one thing worries me and that is chord Gmaj that is used in couple bars in beggining of song. It can't be Gmaj becaues Dm scale have flat B

Can someone explain me chord progression and a bit of harmony in this song.
Just because there's a note outside of the key scale doesn't mean it can't be in the key. G major is quite a common chord in Dm, even though it doesn't fit the key scale. It's called "modal mixture" or "chord borrowing".

The key is defined by the tonic. If Dm sounds like the tonic, that's our key (and in this song it is definitely the tonic). Just because the chords would fit the C major scale better, it doesn't mean we are in C major. It's all about the tonic.

Plenty of songs use borrowed chords. It's very common to not only use the diatonic chords of the key.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by cdgraves at #33689252
Yes.

If you are improvising a solo, you should also use the B natural instead of Bb.

Not so fast -

F C | Dm | occurs quite often as well... and this isn't modal, it's just a borrowed chord. If you're going to improvise over part 2, over the lyrics "all in all you're just a-nother brick in the wall", I'd play Bb's before it gets to the Dm chord.
Glad to cross paths with you on this adventure called life
Quote by Jet Penguin
lots of flirting with the other key without confirming. JUST LIKE THEIR LOVE IN THE MOVIE OH DAMN.
Quote by Hail
you're acting like you have perfect pitch or something
^ depends on how non-vocal you want to make it ;D
Quote by Jet Penguin
lots of flirting with the other key without confirming. JUST LIKE THEIR LOVE IN THE MOVIE OH DAMN.
Quote by Hail
There's a Bbmaj7 chord behind the solo too. Just know the chords you are playing over and choose the notes according to that. You could play either Bb or B natural over the Dm chord, it doesn't really matter.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by Ilisariss
Is this song in key of Dm (I personaly think that it is), but one thing worries me and that is chord Gmaj that is used in couple bars in beggining of song. It can't be Gmaj becaues Dm scale have flat B

Can someone explain me chord progression and a bit of harmony in this song.

WARNING: MODAL JARGON APPROACHING!!!

You're misunderstanding music theory. Music theory only describes the "common practices" in music. It's not hard and fast rules.
Or you should think of the "rules" as what people do "as a rule" - i.e. commonly, out of habit, but not always. They're not laws.

The key of D minor usually has a Bb note (as a rule), so doesn't usually feature a G major chord. Gm is more "common".
But nobody's going to stop you putting a G chord in if you like the sound - and Floyd obviously did!

In fact, major IV chords in minor keys is another "common practice", and there is - accordingly - a theoretical label for it (a minor scale with a major 6th degree). It's known as "Dorian mode". (I bet you've heard of that!)

Floyd liked using Dorian mode in their intros: Wish You Were Here (Em-A); Shine on You Crazy Diamond (4-note riff, Gm-C).

In general, minor keys in rock songs will often mix natural minor, dorian mode and harmonic minor. So the key of D minor might include G or Em as well as Gm and Bb; and more likely A major than Am.
This is normal practice - following rules (of various kinds), not breaking them. If the music sounds good, no rules are being broken. It might just be following rules you haven't heard of yet.

The concept of "borrowing chords" (as mentioned) is perhaps the simplest "rule" you can apply to almost any rock song.

A major key will often borrow chords from the parallel minor.
A minor key will often borrow chords from the parallel major.

You should expect to see this happening, in most songs. Not all by any means, but most.

(The related concept is "mode mixture", because it's as rare for a song to stick to one mode exclusively as it is to stick to one major or minor scale exclusively. I say "rare", but that's only relative: it's just less common.)

Classical theory already enshrines the major V chord in the minor key, as the practice known as "harmonic minor". (A or A7 in D minor.)
Mode mixture (borrowing chords) is an old idea too, it's just that it's become central to rock songwriting.

The key of D major can include the chords F, C, Bb and/or Gm
The key of D minor can include the chords A, G and/or Em. (In fact it will usually include A, not Am.)
... and you may find other chords too, which will all have their own theory labels attached.

The "key" is just the note that "sounds like home" - the gravitational centre of the song, and probably the final note (root of final chord). There are many ways of establishing that sense of "key", and the old "do re mi" major scale is only the most obvious and straightforward (most familiar in our culture).
Essentially, the only thing that defines a key as "major" or "minor" is the tonic chord (and even that can flip at times). That's if you want to define the key .
You could stop worrying and play the song...
Last edited by jongtr at Nov 19, 2015,
Quote by MaggaraMarine at #33689707
There's a Bbmaj7 chord behind the solo too. Just know the chords you are playing over and choose the notes according to that. You could play either Bb or B natural over the Dm chord, it doesn't really matter.

^ I don't think I even listened to that part haha

https://youtu.be/Y9d72n2fX6g
8:13

Funny thing, though, Gilmour still plays A-C followed by G-B in the transition from Bb/D to Dm.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Quote by Hail