I played guitar for a couple years in high school but never really got anywhere with it and lost interest in uni due to time constraints and listening to a lot less guitar-based music. Lately though I have been getting back into black metal and punk with a vengeance and feel a very strong urge to pick up where I left off. 90% of the music I will be playing will be black metal and punk, so I need something that can sound good with both. I will not be getting an amp for now, but instead one of the Line 6 pods or something similar... Even though I played guitar before I am still more or less a total newb on technical aspects of it... I know the pickups have a big impact on the sound... so I need good suggestions on the guitar itself, the pick-ups, and what pod or multi-effect pedal to use. I will only be playing through HPs due to my schedule (I work at night) so an amp is out.

I don't want to spend a ton of money but budget is flexible. The tone I'm looking for black-metal wise is Emperor, Immortal, Watain, Marduk etc. Punk-wise think Nofx, Propagandhi (early), Me First and the Gimme Gimmes. I am pickier about how my BM sounds though so focus on that though I really want to be able to get both (hence the versatility of the Pod hopefully...)

Basically I'll be playing lots and lots of power chord riffs and tremolo picking.

Guitar-wise I have been thinking about the Ibanez RG series and some of ESP's lineup. The only thing I absolutely DO NOT WANT is a floating floyd rose bridge. I regretted having that on my old RG550 immensely (it also had all kinds of electronics issues as well due to being quite old when I got it so I won't be using it). If I can get an RG without that though that'd be nice (I'm open to anything though)
Last edited by WNxScythe at Nov 19, 2015,
You could block the FR trem on your current guitar and have a tech sort the wiring.

Look for a used POD XT, the beans run $65ish used and the XT live runs $100ish, both would be a great practice tool for you.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Since you're focused on just a few target tones, if you can, try some out before you buy any. I have a few different portable digital modelers from different companies, and I have found that none does ALL tones well. There are always a few models that sound awesome, a couple that sound like ass, and the majority are so-so.

Sometimes, which ones are best will even vary between similar devices from the same company.

That's the manufacturer's presets, though- you may still be able to dial in your desired sound by manipulating the control parameters.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 19, 2015,
Quote by WNxScythe
I know the pickups have a big impact on the sound... so I need good suggestions on the guitar itself, the pick-ups, .

The pickups actually don't have a big impact on the sound you're after, but you might want to steer toward something with active EMGs or (my preference) SD Blackouts. That's not *quite* a no-brainer, but it makes things easier.

Quote by WNxScythe
I don't want to spend a ton of money but budget is flexible.

Basically I'll be playing lots and lots of power chord riffs and tremolo picking.

The only thing I absolutely DO NOT WANT is a floating floyd rose bridge. I regretted having that on my old RG550 immensely

Unless you're doing a lot of alternate tunings (always a possibility), don't steer away from a Floyd simply because your old one was a PIA. One of the VERY nice things about a Floyd is that they stay in tune, where hard tail guitars will sometimes drift. You can block the Floyd easily enough, and that solves issues with bending, string changes, etc. When I wanted to use a Floyd *and* have my alternate tunings cake too, I picked up a Variax JTV-89F -- perhaps the only guitar on the planet that will let you do that. Unfortunately, that's just a touch beyond the budget of most folks here, and/or they have no clue what a Variax is/does because you don't find one hanging in a GC very often.

Find (if you can) a used Pod HD "bean". It has nearly all of the same electronics as the rest of the Pod line, but it's the least expensive and most portable of them all.

Then download Meambobbo's PodHD Tone Guide (it's always available online, but you should download the .pdf version as well): http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/ It'll get you up to speed very quickly and eliminate some niggling issues that will otherwise set your teeth on edge.

And finally, invest in a good set of headphones (I usually define "good" as "studio quality in the $99-199 price range that do NOT have extended "DJ" bass response). My go-to's have been on the order of AKG240s, Sony 7506's, BeyerDynamic 770 and Sennheiser 280's. There are other brands that work well, but those will give you a good reference point to start.