Hey,

I was thinking about replacing the bridge pickup in my Michael Kelly Patriot Glory to a Seymour Duncan SH-8 Invader. It came with Rockfield SWC's and although I like them, I would prefer a lot heavier pickup in the bridge position for rhythm, but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

What do you guys think? Would the Invader fit my LP? Is it worth spending €80 on it? I have no experience in replacing pickups.

BTW, I use a Peavey Bandit 112 with an EHX Metal Muff.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate your help,
Tami
Last edited by tami626 at Nov 19, 2015,
I think you meant bridge for playing lead.. Since bridge pickup is usually hotter than the neck, I use neck for rhythm. I don't own a Mike Kelly guitar so can't provide any useful information there.. If the pickup cavity is wide enough, then should be no problem putting it in.

Someone should chime in soon with more details on how.. You need a good quality soldering iron, solder, wiring diagram from the pickup manufacturer..(ex: Black = hot, bare =ground, each company has their own)
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Personally I found the Invader too muddy

^ soldering pickups is pretty damn easy if you have even the slightest bit of mechanical know how
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Nov 19, 2015,
I actually use the bridge pickup for rhythm and the neck for lead almost all the time.
if its too muddy three solutions

#1 adjust the pickup height , the lower the less muddy it becomes
#2 attach a capacitor before the pickups black wire hits the switch 0.01uf to 0.033uf
#3 the fender greasebucket tone control does wonders

the greasebucket costs under 1$ to make , it's three components that are easily found in electronics shops. in fact the resistor you dont really need.
Quote by King Shredder
I'd get a better amp before worrying about pickups.

Says the guy who prefers Valvestates...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Says the guy who prefers Valvestates...

That's not a bad amp if you're going for a Chuck Schuldiner death metal type sound and play that kind of stuff.For anything else it's not great.
Quote by King Shredder
That's not a bad amp if you're going for a Chuck Schuldiner death metal type sound and play that kind of stuff.For anything else it's not great.

I know, and you were very clear that you use it because you are looking for a specific tone, but it's still fun to give you shit about it...
Charles Darwin
Quote by King Shredder
I'd get a better amp before worrying about pickups.

Well, maybe you would, but I don't have the money to upgrade my €400 amp. I can probably spend about €100, so it's either a pedal or the pickup. And since my pickups don't sound heavy enough, I believe the best upgrade I can do is the bridge pickup. I think the Bandit does a pretty good job with the Metal Muff.
Quote by tami626
Well, maybe you would, but I don't have the money to upgrade my €400 amp. I can probably spend about €100, so it's either a pedal or the pickup. And since my pickups don't sound heavy enough, I believe the best upgrade I can do is the bridge pickup. I think the Bandit does a pretty good job with the Metal Muff.

I think the concern that's being expressed is that given your current gear, a pickup swap isn't likely to provide you with the results you want, and then you've spent that money for nothing and are even further away from what you actually need.

It's your call of course, but sometimes doing something is NOT better than doing nothing, at least for a while.

BTW, kudos on your Michael Kelly, they are excellent guitars!
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Nov 19, 2015,
Quote by Arby911
I know, and you were very clear that you use it because you are looking for a specific tone, but it's still fun to give you shit about it...

Well it's good you're having fun, I made you happy today so it's all worthwhile then for me too.
Last edited by King Shredder at Nov 19, 2015,
An Invader will certainly fit, but it is also a mid-heavy pickup, which works great for bright guitars or mid-heavy styles. You can also check out the Black Winter, which might be closer to the sound you are going for.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Quote by tami626
Unfortunately, I can't find the Black Winter anywhere in Slovakia.

ask any shop that sells Seymour Duncan pickups, they will get them for you or use the internet
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Well, maybe I could try that. But how do I know if it's a better choice for me? How would you describe the difference between the Invader and the Black Winter? Based on Youtube videos I like the Invader more, but I guess it doesn't mean much.
Quote by tami626
Well, maybe I could try that. But how do I know if it's a better choice for me? How would you describe the difference between the Invader and the Black Winter? Based on Youtube videos I like the Invader more, but I guess it doesn't mean much.

Oh, I completely understand.

I haven't tried the Black winter, I was just letting you know how you could get one if you wanted one

go to some stores and try guitars with different pickups and see what you do and don't like, you can make a better decision that way.

You can also look at Dimarzio. They will let you trade your pickups in one time for a different one if you don't like them.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Nov 20, 2015,
The problem is that even the biggest store in my country has a pretty limited range of guitars you can try. I have actually never seen a single guitar with Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio pickups even though I've been there several times and I checked all of them. Sometimes they have a few with EMG's and that's all for metal.
Quote by psp742
I think you meant bridge for playing lead.. Since bridge pickup is usually hotter than the neck, I use neck for rhythm.

I think 90% of guitarist (well that play rock/metal) would use the bridge pick up for rhythm
Quote by dspellman
Tami626 -- check your PMs.

What do you mean? Nothing's there.
Well, does anybody else think I shouldn't get it, until I get a new amp? I don't think I will buy one in the next few years, so I thought the new pickup would be worth it. I've heard it's a pretty reasonable choice if I like my guitar, but it has cheap pickups. Especially, when I'm not satisfied with the sound of them.

Also, even though the Bandit isn't the best amp ever, I think a better quality and heavier pickup will make a significant difference regarding the sound. But, as I've already mentioned, I have absolutely no experience in changing pickups at all, so I may be mistaken. That's why I'd like to hear a few more opinions.

BTW, I have a Jackson JS35 I want to sell, and it sounds a lot different through the Bandit than my Michael Kelly. The pickups are heavier, but too muddy, and they don't have a 'character' like the Rockfield SWC's. They simply sound 'plain' to me. From what I've read, the Invader seems to be the best choice for me.
Pickups plays a part in getting the tone you want but another important factor people tend to forget is the amp or speaker the sound is coming from, the tone and frequencies will sound different coming from stock speaker when upgraded to a much better speaker driver.

Usually the stock speakers on any combo are ok or adequate but nothing special, I'm not sure if the Peavey Bandit came with the Peavey Blue Marvel speakers or something else. but I would check around for a better upgrade.

I bought a USED Peavey Envoy 110 made in USA Silver Stripe (previous owner upgrade/mod speaker to 12" Peavey... he noted it's a Peavey speaker but didn't specify speaker model. the speaker sound really nice thou.)

I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Last edited by psp742 at Nov 22, 2015,
Well, I haven't thought about upgrading the speaker. But if I can buy a lot better one than the Blue Marvel for up to €100, it makes sense. I could get a Celestion G12T 'Hot 100'. What do you guys think about it?
try to listen to sound clip of the speaker on youtube, on clean and lead channel. If you like the sound then it is a good buy. remember that what I like will be different from what you like, everyone has their own sound... If you want to get a certain sound.. best suggestion is asking others who are into the same band or music and see what they are using. Peavey Bandits have very nice clean channel, not sure on the high gain (since my Envoy 110 40-watt transtube combo came with 10" Peavey Blue Marvel and was upgraded to a 12" Peavey speaker) another thing to note is open back or closed back amp.. I'm sure others will chime in regarding this.

http://peavey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23697#p181016

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?79691-Peavey-Bandit-Quandry-Which-12-quot-speaker

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/new-speakers-for-peavey-bandit-112-help.495985/
Last edited by psp742 at Nov 22, 2015,
So, I checked some Youtube videos. I think the Celestion G12K-100 sounds better than the G12T, but it's a bit too expensive. However, I found an old G12H-100 for only €70, and it seems to be even better than the K one. Has any of you guys used it?

EDIT: Well, the offer is already gone. I'll probably just start a new thread about upgrading the speaker.
Last edited by tami626 at Nov 24, 2015,