Hey all,

I made a little proggy post-rock ditty, and tried my hand at producing it. Any critical feedback, whether on the composition, arrangement, production, or whatever else, would be very much appreciated. Maybe even hit the favourite button or leave a comment in the song stream? Everything helps!

https://soundcloud.com/shortbjurd/shortbjurd-time-is-a-dated-concept-pt1instrumental

C4C applies here; I'll write back an amount proportionate to what you write me. If there's an aspect you'd like me to focus on in my reply, please let me know and I'll do my best to help out.

Last edited by juckfush at Nov 23, 2015,
hey there
it's hard to listen, piece of music not for everyone,
but imho guitar work is very good
I esspecially enjoyed this calm part in the midle of the number
keep working
Thank you very much for the constructive feedback!

Part 2 of this song, which is currently being recorded, has a lot in common texturally with the calm part you've mentioned. I'll be sure to post a new thread once it's ready.
damn, first of all i love the guitar tone it has a cool mix of modern guitar with a twang of rock n roll. the little tapping parts at 1:30 are very cool as well. I enjoyed the composition, very progressive but not annoying and has a lot of feeling still. when it comes down around 2:15 i like that part as well, very calm and a good build up to exit it with cool tapping as well! good job on this one man.
Hey thanks for the crit!

I really dig the guitar tone, along with the "forceful" sounding snare. Prog is not really my cup of tea, but I found quite a few bits and peices I enjoyed which says a lot as I'm not a prog guy. I think my favorite part of this is definately the guitar tone. What's your rig like? Are you recording from an amp or a DI? Overall good stuff dude, keep it up.
Thank you enloartworks and jedke for your feedback!

This time around I experimented with two set-ups; one for dirty tones, and another for cleans and effects.

For dirty sounds, I recorded DI with a G&L ASAT Classic S (there's the twang!), and re-amped using a Poulin Lextac soft-amp run into Poulin LeCab2 powered by Fredman impulses. Each of these plug-ins are available for free online in packages with a half-dozen more amp models.
A virtual TS808 rounded off some sharp high end, and I used two EQs to sculpt a pocket for each guitar and reduce extreme lows and highs, making room for bass and cymbals.
For lead tones, I included Reaper's ReaDelay with a slapback time, and Focusrite Scarlett reverb.

Here's a screenshot of my settings, excluding compression and gating.

For cleans and effects, I ran the same guitar (usually the neck pickup, sometimes a position 2 or 4) through a Mesa Boogie TA-30 in Top Boost mode, mic'd a foot away by a trusty Shure SM57. The ambient section in the middle features a pseudo violin sound made up by an Iron Ether Subterranea in Triangle wave mode, run into a fully wet TC Electronic Hall of Fame reverb. A Wampler Faux Tape Delay was modestly blended in for space.

I think that just about covers the guitar tones in this one, and I hope that this information is useful for you.

Thanks again.
Last edited by juckfush at Nov 20, 2015,
The song and riffs and everything are awesome and I like the drum sounds. I have one minor complaint about the guitar tone, which is that it kind of sounds like its dry or coming from behind a wall or something. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it sounds pretty good anyway.
Quote by juckfush
Thank you enloartworks and jedke for your feedback!

This time around I experimented with two set-ups; one for dirty tones, and another for cleans and effects.

For dirty sounds, I recorded DI with a G&L ASAT Classic S (there's the twang!), and re-amped using a Poulin Lextac soft-amp run into Poulin LeCab2 powered by Fredman impulses. Each of these plug-ins are available for free online in packages with a half-dozen more amp models.
A virtual TS808 rounded off some sharp high end, and I used two EQs to sculpt a pocket for each guitar and reduce extreme lows and highs, making room for bass and cymbals.
For lead tones, I included Reaper's ReaDelay with a slapback time, and Focusrite Scarlett reverb.

Here's a screenshot of my settings, excluding compression and gating.

For cleans and effects, I ran the same guitar (usually the neck pickup, sometimes a position 2 or 4) through a Mesa Boogie TA-30 in Top Boost mode, mic'd a foot away by a trusty Shure SM57. The ambient section in the middle features a pseudo violin sound made up by an Iron Ether Subterranea in Triangle wave mode, run into a fully wet TC Electronic Hall of Fame reverb. A Wampler Faux Tape Delay was modestly blended in for space.

I think that just about covers the guitar tones in this one, and I hope that this information is useful for you.

Thanks again.

Awesome, very helpful! thanks!
Hey man, this is a really excellent piece of music. It is quite jarring so won't be for everyone but it is something I really like in this style of music. The guitar tones were very good and reminded me a bit of At the Drive In. You certainly don't fall into the trap of overly distorted guitars and I like that.

The mix was decent but sounded like it could do with some more mastering to really bring it to life. My only real comment on the mix is that the snare is a bit too loud and sounds like it has a bit too much reverb as it sounds a but out of place compared to the rest of the kick. It didn't detract from the song but something to look out for.

Other than that I have nothing bad to say. The composition itself was great and progressed nicely. The explosion just before the 3-minute mark was particularly good. I added you on soundcloud and look forward to hearing more!

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=33687740#post33687740
Thank you very much, Richo! You're absolutely on point about the snare; I've since dialed back the reverb a bit, and tuned the snare drum up ever so slightly. It's much more expressive, and less obstructive to the mix now.

Many thanks for your kind compliments, and I'll try not to disappoint with future efforts. I've returned critique on the link you've provided.

Last edited by juckfush at Nov 22, 2015,
juckfush,
I've heard it said that some physicists think time is an illusion. Your song reminds me a little of Yes and Rush, and some newer bands that are a bit djenty or death metal-ish. I like this more mellow portion in the middle best, though the rest of the song is good too. I like the mellow ending also. Nice tune & the playing is good/tight. Please review my music at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1689613
Woah, this was something else! I really enjoyed this track! I feel you used the odd time signatures to your advantage, because those parts sounded really awesome. The guitar playing was top notch throughout, and your tone was impeccable! I love prog, granted this kind of prog is not usually my everyday cup of tea, but I have to say that this track was very enjoyable to me. The mellow parts of the song very used to great effect, and I really liked the transisition from hectic to mellow.
As you can see, I don't have anything constructive to say, because I couldn't find any faults. Really looking forward to part two!

And thank you for the feedback on my thing =)
Gear:
2011 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
2012 Tanglewood TW170

Boss Katana 100w 1x112
Line 6 HD500