http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KDLYubyeCak

For anyone who doesn't know I'm referring to the type of sound you can find in the song Emerge by Auras, which the above link is a link to.

While I like the tightness of Misha Mansoor from Periphery's sound, I much prefer the open quack sound from stuff like this. I love the voice it has.

I was wondering if anyone knows how to get that sound?

As of now I use: EMG 81x Pickups>Ego Compressor>NS-2 noise gate>TS Mini>ENGL Savage 120>ISP Decimator G string in FX loop

Perhaps you can only get this sound from passives?

Is this a product of more mids or treble? When I up the presence my tone gets fuzzy and I don't like that. Right now I have Bass:8 Mid:5 Treble:6 but keep in mind the TS boosts mids a bit.

Any help is appreciated but please listen to Emerge by Auras (if the link doesn't work, just a sime Google search will find it) so that you are sure you know what I mean.

Thanks guys

Oh also, as a side note, I have spent quite a bit of time getting my tone to where it is specifically so I can still have a decent amount of bass so my tone isn't all thin with no bass like some of these bands have. Hopefully I can keep some bass in my sound while attaining this voicing
Last edited by Knight Elijah at Nov 19, 2015,
Quote by King Shredder
Sound's like there's maybe a phaser but it's not on high and a kill switch later on.

Hmm, that's interesting... A phaser? I suppose that makes sense, it's cool because you don't really notice it, and everything still sounds normal, it just has that quack tone.

Anyone else have any ideas or can confirm this? I don't have a phaser pedal so I can't really do it myself at the moment
Is it possible that's the bass? I saw a video on their facebook of their bassist tracking and he gets that slap-style quacky effect going on.
That sounds like it's coming primarily from the bass to me. For an example of a similar bass effect, but far more pronounced, and in a non-metal context, check out RHCP's "Sir Psycho Sexy". Starting at about 30 seconds in, Flea uses that super bass quack sound a lot. I get that sound the same way that Flea does, with an Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron pedal. I'm not any kind of effect guru, so all I really know is that it's some kind of filter, which you can adjust for high-pass, band-pass, low-pass, or a mix. The Q-Tron Plus has it's own FX loop, and I put a Bass Big Muff (also from EH) in there, and it gets an amazing heavy fuzzy synth bass tone. The Q-Tron is designed to be used for guitar or bass (or anything, really), and you could probably get a that kind of sound out of it by mixing with a heavily distorted guitar, and rolling back some of the knobs for a more subtle effect.

Also, whatever else is going on for the main tone, that very last little bit as it fades away is definitely a phaser and a killswitch.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Last edited by the_bi99man at Nov 21, 2015,
Quote by the_bi99man
That sounds like it's coming primarily from the bass to me. For an example of a similar bass effect, but far more pronounced, and in a non-metal context, check out RHCP's "Sir Psycho Sexy". Starting at about 30 seconds in, Flea uses that super bass quack sound a lot. I get that sound the same way that Flea does, with an Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron pedal. I'm not any kind of effect guru, so all I really know is that it's some kind of filter, which you can adjust for high-pass, band-pass, low-pass, or a mix. The Q-Tron Plus has it's own FX loop, and I put a Bass Big Muff (also from EH) in there, and it gets an amazing heavy fuzzy synth bass tone. The Q-Tron is designed to be used for guitar or bass (or anything, really), and you could probably get a that kind of sound out of it by mixing with a heavily distorted guitar, and rolling back some of the knobs for a more subtle effect.

Also, whatever else is going on for the main tone, that very last little bit as it fades away is definitely a phaser and a killswitch.

Huh, yeah that's interesting, it's has a lot of similarities. I would 100% think that but it's a very common sound in this genre, bands like Tesseract and the heavier The Contortionist stuff also has it. Unless it's common to also have the basses have this sound. Whatever it is, it's very interesting and I will look into that pedal type, thanks!
Low gain, hit your strings really hard, lots of upper mids.

There you go.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Is it possible there is an out of phase pickup lurking around somewhere? Maybe a split coil humbucker?