So I'm pretty much torn on what Orange amp I should get. Regardless of opinions I've previously been given on this forum I've play tested both the Orange CR60C and Orange Micro Dark in my local Guitar Center/Sam Ash and love them both. I'm currently doing some research on the amps and recently came up with a good idea. I really like the response of Orange's "Voice of the World" speaker but the PPC112 comes with a Celestion Vintage 30. If I was going to go solely with the Micro Dark I'd want a 1x12 cab instead of the optional 1x8. In particular, I was obviously considering the PPC112

My idea is this, the CR60C is an open back combo amp. The speaker can be disconnected, and it seems you can use the combo as a cab if you have another head. So it may be possible to run the Micro Dark through the CR60C's "VOTW" speaker. Look at this video at 1:50 and you'll see what I mean. Good idea? Essentially I kill two birds with one stone since I like the "VOTW" speakers and it seems possible to run both amps through the one speaker. The Micro Dark head isn't terribly expensive either so all in all you're looking at around $600 more or less...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idPZyyXrgsc
Last edited by anthonymarisc at Nov 19, 2015,
You're an Orange fanboy aren't you?I mean you didn't say what type of stuff you play.You're obsessed with how it looks really, am I right?You could get better gear for the price depending on what you play, i'm sure.
Quote by King Shredder
You're an Orange fanboy aren't you?I mean you didn't say what type of stuff you play.You're obsessed with how it looks really, am I right?You could get better gear for the price depending on what you play, i'm sure.

Lmao a little bit yes, I play a lot of Mastodon and Sabbath... a teeny bit of Hendrix and Pink Floyd as well.

EDIT: I actually do like the way they sound though. The only other amps in my price range that are available locally are Fender Mustangs, Peavy Vyprys, Vox amps, a Bugera. I've already dipped my feet with Blackstar. But I genuinely enjoy the sound of these two amps though.

EDIT 2: To answer my question would this work though? Can I run the Micro Dark through the CR60C?
Sounds like you have already decided so... don't ask us, go buy it.

Personally, as a fan of Sabbath I would choose a TT or DT tube head and 112 cab instead of the Micro but to each his own.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
The speaker in the CR60C is a 16 Ohm unit, so that's fine to use with the Micro Dark.

Seems expensive for a "cab" though, I'd recommend looking into some other 1x12s first.
Quote by Cajundaddy
Sounds like you have already decided so... don't ask us, go buy it.

Personally, as a fan of Sabbath I would choose a TT or DT tube head and 112 cab instead of the Micro but to each his own.

I like them but I'm open to suggestions. Feel free to try to persuade me otherwise and I'll look up and research other options as well. These amps are only what I have available locally and they're the best compared to everything else I've tried in store. I'm not above ordering an amp online I'm open to other options.
Quote by anthonymarisc
I like them but I'm open to suggestions. Feel free to try to persuade me otherwise and I'll look up and research other options as well. These amps are only what I have available locally and they're the best compared to everything else I've tried in store. I'm not above order and amp online I'm open to other options.

Finding a Peavey Classic 30 combo shouldn't be too hard.
There's also a lot more options when buying used gear, of course.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Quote by anthonymarisc
Ohhhh I like it, guitar needs a little more low end though.

The Tiny Terror is a pro quality tube amp that is pretty low cost. It is a lot more amp than the SS Orange amps (Micro) which are geared towards a beginning player.

Low end is all about the tone controls and speaker cab.

Quote by King Shredder
Jeesus, is this what people pay thousands for?That's really thin and horrible.

No, its a 15 yr old kid playing through a $400 tube amp. The amp is pretty great. Kid, not so much. See sig below.

Quote by Cajundaddy
The Tiny Terror is a pro quality tube amp that is pretty low cost. It is a lot more amp than the SS Orange amps (Micro) which are geared towards a beginning player.

Low end is all about the tone controls and speaker cab.

Well I'm definitely improving, but I still consider myself in amateur in many regards I just think the Orange stuff I was considering is a decent step above my 10-watt 1x8 practice amp. Plus I don't exactly have the best paying job right now so the CR60C+Micro Dark is equal in value to my current guitar. Not ready to spend over 1K on an amp just yet.

EDIT: To be fair the the Micro Dark does have a tube pre-amp.
Quote by anthonymarisc
Well I'm definitely improving, but I still consider myself in amateur in many regards I just think the Orange stuff I was considering is a decent step above my 10-watt 1x8 practice amp. Plus I don't exactly have the best paying job right now so the CR60C+Micro Dark is equal in value to my current guitar. Not ready to spend over 1K on an amp just yet.

Buy the amp you want. I found my Tiny Terror for $350 used, like new condition.

Quote by Cajundaddy
No, its a 15 yr old kid playing through a $400 tube amp. The amp is pretty great. Kid, not so much. See sig below.

Yeah, but it's not all the kid playing, that really just doesn't sound great.
Quote by King Shredder
Tone controls, mic choice, mic placement, DAW, interface... A lot of variables go into a recording all affected by Jr's fingers.

In other applications the Tiny Terror has been used on a lot of "A List" recordings and can indeed sound pretty great when well captured. It is certainly not the right amp for everyone though. I kept mine for a few years but moved-on when I no longer needed that signature Brit crunch.

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Nov 19, 2015,
$600
Get a used Tiny Terror, Dark Terror or Dual Terror and a cab.

You can also get a used Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 combo that will pretty much nail all the tones you want.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
$600
Get a used Tiny Terror, Dark Terror or Dual Terror and a cab.

You can also get a used Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 combo that will pretty much nail all the tones you want.

Lowest I could find a Dark Terror was $425 on Ebay. New those run for nearly $700 plus a quality cab, you're looking at over 1K easy.
Quote by Ippon

+3.1415
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Ippon

+1 there was one for $399 also

Then get a used 1x12 cab and your in there
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
+1 there was one for $399 also

Then get a used 1x12 cab and your in there

The Dark Terror is all tube though is it not? Can I get good Metal tones out of it at low volumes? Especially through a 1x12...
The whole, "you have to crank a tube amp for it to sound good" is a feature of non master volume amps which were mostly dropped in the 80's. Don't worry about it. The Dark/Tiny/Dual Terrors all have a good master volume. Their preamps are doing all the work at low volumes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The whole, "you have to crank a tube amp for it to sound good" is a feature of non master volume amps which were mostly dropped in the 80's. Don't worry about it. The Dark/Tiny/Dual Terrors all have a good master volume. Their preamps are doing all the work at low volumes.

Honestly I make terrible money at my current job right now. I suppose I may save for the Dark Terror then, I like that amp as well. It's just gonna take longer for me to save up for it though...
but you will be buying a quality piece of gear instead of another piece of junk , it should even hold it's value if you decide to sell
So me and my friend went to Guitar Center today and I had a lot of hands on time with the CR60C & Micro Dark.

My overall thoughts on the CR60C:The amp has really good cleans but the EQ is extremely limited with only a Bass, Treble, and Channel Volume control overall the tone with the cleans were very pleasing to my ear and sounded crisp not digital sounding at all. This amp has a more usable EQ in the Dirty channel. A standard 3-band EQ with a Gain control & Channel Volume as well. The Reverb sounds good, Hall is my favorite. I cranked the gain and it sounds surprisingly ballsy, certainly usable for the types of music I play... I did notice a quite annoying fizzing coming out the amp the higher the gain is though. I know you guys aren't particular fans of a solid state Orange, for a budget guitarist it's definitely a good buy in my opinion.

Now onto the Micro Dark...

Sigh ok so I've pretty much watched every Micro Dark video on Youtube. I'm so fascinated by this little thing. Every video makes it sound big and just perfect. I mean it's a portable high gain voiced hybrid tube amp. In that kind of package you are gonna sacrifice a little tone which I may remind you all is subjective to the player's ear everyone is different. The first time I played the Micro Dark was at my local Sam Ash it was connected to the PPC108 1x8 cab. It sounded fairly boxy I'll admit. I think this amp needs to run at louder volumes to really get the most out of it. I was being fairly considerate at the time so I didn't really manage to crank the amp and get good tones out of it that day. Ultimately what some of you were saying was right. It seemed shrill and boxy at low volumes at least...

I played it today at Guitar Center where this time it was hooked up to a PPC112 which of course has a Celestion V30 in it. So I plugged it into the cab and wow. It sounded completely different. I don't know how many of you have actually tried this amp in store but it really does sound good through a bigger cab and I'm not just saying that either. My friend liked the tones but told me in his opinion he wouldn't buy it since lack of a 3-band EQ apparently is a deal breaker for him. Messing around with the Shape and Gain control I will admit I some good and some not so good tones out of it. When I dialed it in right it sounded articulate and very crunchy. When I didn't I got very muddy tones out of this amp. So after I was done I took the cable connected to the back of the head and the PPC112 and plugged it into the CabSim

When plugged into the back of the head you need to keep the volume relatively low. It's a pretty loud head despite its size, when plugged into the CabSim I had to drive the volume up considerably but once we started messing around with it my friend actually thought the CabSim sounded better than the standard input.

So like I said I haven't gotten the chance to try a Dark Terror yet but as of right now I'm thinking a Micro Dark ran into a PPC112 is a great budget set-up toss in a Maxon OD808 or a Ibanez Tube Screamer Mini along with a Fender Micro EQ pedal and maybe a HOF Reverb Pedal. You have a genuinely great sounding amp here. Plus you could always change the tube right to try different ones.

I don't know why no one sees the potential in this thing. You guys are sleeping on this amp, I've actually gotten to really see what it's capable of and think it's a good investment.

I won't be getting the CR60C. I've made my decision. Once I try a Dark Terror that might change though.
Last edited by anthonymarisc at Nov 22, 2015,
i haven't laid hands on the micro dark, but the original mirco terror IMO doesn't sound bad with a boost through a bitter cab. it can get pretty loud too.

BUT the tiny terror/dark terrors are MILES ahead.

don't let the idea of only a single EQ knob keep you away. i have a dual terror and i haven't ever had problems getting the tone i wanted.

also if you have an effects loop (my dual terror doesn't) you could throw a 10band in the loop. that would help a lot. but i haven't ever had problems.

although the micro terrors are pretty good for $100 (used), the normal terrors are soooo much nicer.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i haven't laid hands on the micro dark, but the original mirco terror IMO doesn't sound bad with a boost through a bitter cab. it can get pretty loud too.

BUT the tiny terror/dark terrors are MILES ahead.

don't let the idea of only a single EQ knob keep you away. i have a dual terror and i haven't ever had problems getting the tone i wanted.

also if you have an effects loop (my dual terror doesn't) you could throw a 10band in the loop. that would help a lot. but i haven't ever had problems.

although the micro terrors are pretty good for $100 (used), the normal terrors are soooo much nicer.

Yea the shape knob isn't a deal breaker for me. My Blackstar has one, I quite like the ease of use TBH. The Micro Dark does have an FX loop so I'm pleased about that. IDK it sounds quite good for $189 it's practically a steal, just need a good cab and few pedals and this thing is quite the little beast.

EDIT: I actually saw an interesting comment on Youtube about being able to run a Micro Dark & Micro Terror at the same time.
Last edited by anthonymarisc at Nov 22, 2015,
Since, its about amp, I tht I cud use some experience views here. Well I am planning to buy a decent amp for home practice and small venue gigging. Now, I kno I sud spend like crazy to get a awesome sounding amp but I am on a tight budget so would like to choose wisely.
I have boiled it down to this amps not sure if they are gud for live gigs. My choices are Marshall MG30CFX, Line6 spider IV 30W, Blackstar ID core 40, Roland cube 20 and Peavey vypyr VIP 2 40w. I play metal but cud use some decent cleans too. You may have made out my budget from my amp choices ha-ha.
Please suggest!!
Last edited by basezero at Dec 15, 2015,
Quote by basezero
Since, its about amp, I tht I cud use some experience views here. Well I am planning to buy a decent amp for home practice and small venue gigging. Now, I kno I sud spend like crazy to get a awesome sounding amp but I am on a tight budget so would like to choose wisely.
I have boiled it down to this amps not sure if they are gud for live gigs. My choices are Marshall MG30CFX, Line6 spider IV 30W, Blackstar ID core 40, Roland cube 20 and Peavey vypyr VIP 2 40w. I play metal but cud use some decent cleans too. You may have made out my budget from my amp choices ha-ha.
Please suggest!!

Start your own thread

But short answer get a used Peavey vypyr tube 60
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by anthonymarisc
Yea the shape knob isn't a deal breaker for me. My Blackstar has one, I quite like the ease of use TBH. The Micro Dark does have an FX loop so I'm pleased about that. IDK it sounds quite good for $189 it's practically a steal, just need a good cab and few pedals and this thing is quite the little beast.

EDIT: I actually saw an interesting comment on Youtube about being able to run a Micro Dark & Micro Terror at the same time.

Chasing bells and whistles again. For the price of a Micro Dark and a few pedals you could have found real "pro quality" guitar tone in a Dark Terror for the same $$.

No worries. We all did this when we were teens and everybody needs to own a few beginner amps that don't rate. Hard lessons tend to stick better when we make these choices ourselves. It's what makes the world go around.

Get the Micro Terror and pedals.

I own Tiny Terror combo and when you put the solid state amps next to it, you quickly forget about them. Not that they're bad, AFAIK Orange (the Micro Terror, etc.) and Tech21 (TM30, TM60) today seem to be making the only solid state amps that I won't be embarrassed to own.
Try out the Tiny Terror by dialing it in to a growly crunch, then try dialing in the Micro Terror for the same sorta tone using the same cab. This will show off the massive differences of the amp and I'd bet make you shrug off the Micro Terror.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by King Shredder

It's a pretty bad recording. That amp wants to crunch up so badly, that I would never have ran a Rat into such a low amount of headroom. The guy would have had much better luck winding the amp right up for his distortion. I ran a Tiny Terror into a Marshall 4x12 with a Les Paul and got plenty of girth and crunch. The OR15 is even better at this particular tone, and the Rockerverbs...that's a whole other planet.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by anthonymarisc
...and it seems possible to run both amps through the one speaker.

I hope you don't mean at the same time...
"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." -some dude
Last edited by Prime2515102 at Dec 15, 2015,
none of the solid state oranges sound anything like the bands you want to sound like.
good luck blowing money on trinkets.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer