I made a thread the other week asking about the Micro Terror. Following a break from playing for a couple of years I've recently got back into it and need an amp.

Ideally I'd like to spend around £200, but I'm open to increasing that for the right amp.

I play a wide variety of music, I like my rockabilly and blues plus a bit of Nile Rodgers style funk. So cleans and maybe reverb would be nice, but not essential as I have a Zoom multi effects pedal.

In terms of heavier stuff, nothing more than QOTSA or at most AC/DC type tones. I'm not after brutal high gain tones, which it seems lots on here are.

I guess if an amps got a good clean channel I can use a distortion/fuzz pedal anyhow.

So I thought of the Micro Terror, then was set on the Micro Dark. But I also like the look of the Crush 35RT, which might be better than the Terror for cleans.

In terms of loudness, home use with the potential for jamming with others if needed.

What other amps should I look at?
[quote="LutResIn terms of loudness, home use with the potential for jamming with others if needed.[/QUOTE"]Most amps have volume controls, so base yourself on the sound and features of the amp instead of its "volume", which you can change anyway.

I would get a blackheart BH15 combo and steer clear of the oranges.
They may look appealing but there's nothing worth getting in that price range if ya ask me.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by LutRes
I made a thread the other week asking about the Micro Terror. Following a break from playing for a couple of years I've recently got back into it and need an amp.

Ideally I'd like to spend around £200, but I'm open to increasing that for the right amp.

I play a wide variety of music, I like my rockabilly and blues plus a bit of Nile Rodgers style funk. So cleans and maybe reverb would be nice, but not essential as I have a Zoom multi effects pedal.

In terms of heavier stuff, nothing more than QOTSA or at most AC/DC type tones. I'm not after brutal high gain tones, which it seems lots on here are.

I guess if an amps got a good clean channel I can use a distortion/fuzz pedal anyhow.

So I thought of the Micro Terror, then was set on the Micro Dark. But I also like the look of the Crush 35RT, which might be better than the Terror for cleans.

In terms of loudness, home use with the potential for jamming with others if needed.

What other amps should I look at?

Orange Tiny Terror. It does Angus great.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
The Crush is a pretty standard beginner's amp, I'd avoid it unless you really need something cheap. I have no first hand experience with the Micro Dark, but in clips it consistently produces a harsh, very cliché solid-state-esque distortion.

Getting something decent new in your price range might be tough... maybe a Bugera V22 if you can find one. Also maybe a Laney Cub12 (sounds good in clips I've heard) (Skip the Cub8 and 10 though, sounded pretty dull when I played them).

If a used amp is an option for you, look for a Laney VC15 for Fender Super Champ XD, they'll both do the styles you mentioned very well.
Quote by TheQuailman
The Crush is a pretty standard beginner's amp, I'd avoid it unless you really need something cheap. I have no first hand experience with the Micro Dark, but in clips it consistently produces a harsh, very cliché solid-state-esque distortion.

I used to think the Crush were that too but videos seem to suggest the new models have stepped it up?

Where I've not really played over the last two years I've lost touch with what's come out recently.

Like I said I can stretch my budget, probably upwards to £350, but wanted to get some feedback on those amps first.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by LutRes
£350

No offense dude, but you can get a used AC15 for that kind of money and you're thinking about some lame starter amp.

I admit I haven't played a Crush in years, so maybe the new models are better than their predecessors... but experience shows that everytime a manufacturer reworks their entry level line-up, they praise it like it has been handed to mankind from the heavens; the guitar mags all review it and they sure are impressed with how well it does for it's price and all.
This in turn moves me to get my ass to the guitar store and experience this tonal behemoth for myself. And lo and behold, it's still crap.

Online videos and clips are a mixed bag as well. I wouldn't buy on them alone.

By all means, try one out if you can. But it's probably not that great. There's plenty of small, low-gain tube combos available new and used around the 300 quid mark, and those will do the styles you listed very very well.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Nov 19, 2015,