I currently have a Vintage Modified Jazz Bass (Squier) that is really nice, but I am somewhat wanting a P bass to compliment it. I see the Classic Vibe Squire P Bass, but am not really digging the ashtray bridge cover. If I went Fender I would just get a MiM more than likely, though I really want that Steve Harris West Ham bass (I like the Hammers as well as Steve Harris!).

Are there any suggestions you would give me for a midrange (~$500-600) p bass? Thanks guys!
Quote by Dinglebuttz
I currently have a Vintage Modified Jazz Bass (Squier) that is really nice, but I am somewhat wanting a P bass to compliment it. I see the Classic Vibe Squire P Bass, but am not really digging the ashtray bridge cover. If I went Fender I would just get a MiM more than likely, though I really want that Steve Harris West Ham bass (I like the Hammers as well as Steve Harris!).

Are there any suggestions you would give me for a midrange (~$500-600) p bass? Thanks guys!

You really cannot go wrong with Squier Precisions. That ashtray can be removed by the way.
Quote by sonicnuance
You really cannot go wrong with Squier Precisions. That ashtray can be removed by the way.

Does it leave open holes or does it attach to the bridge somehow? Thanks for the suggestion!
Quote by Dinglebuttz

This one doesn't appear to have an ashtray: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/squier-classic-vibe-70s-precision-bass
Quote by sonicnuance

This one doesn't appear to have an ashtray: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/squier-classic-vibe-70s-precision-bass

Hmm, weird. I live in Indiana and was looking at sweetwater (normally arrives next day since they are in state!) and it has the bridge cover installed...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PBassCV70Bk
Quote by Dinglebuttz
Hmm, weird. I live in Indiana and was looking at sweetwater (normally arrives next day since they are in state!) and it has the bridge cover installed...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PBassCV70Bk

That is weird. It could be Sweetwater has a relationship with Squier allowing them to have a different instrument. Same could be said for Musician's Friend.

However, it is only two phillips screws to remove the cover. If it were me, I'd rather have the cover and remove it. Many vintage instruments were set up that way and usually people would remove them and have the ubiquitous holes.
Quote by Dinglebuttz
Does it leave open holes or does it attach to the bridge somehow? Thanks for the suggestion!

Yes it does leave open holes where the two phillips screws are. Its actually a common "look" for Precisions to have those holes.
Quote by sonicnuance
That is weird. It could be Sweetwater has a relationship with Squier allowing them to have a different instrument. Same could be said for Musician's Friend.

However, it is only two phillips screws to remove the cover. If it were me, I'd rather have the cover and remove it. Many vintage instruments were set up that way and usually people would remove them and have the ubiquitous holes.

Which is why they got nicknamed "ashtrays', because once removed that's how they were re-purposed.

I actually like the ashtray cover look and if you do buy a bass with one and remove it, keep it. If you ever decide to sell the bass, its an option some people like, such as thumb rests.
Quote by anarkee
Which is why they got nicknamed "ashtrays', because once removed that's how they were re-purposed.

That is funny. I never new that bit of history. Makes sense though.
Seeing a lot of good reviews and info on the Squier Matt Freeman bass as well. Same quality as the classic vibes but with a slightly chunkier neck. So many options lol!
I didn't know they gave Matt Freeman a signature bass.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
Quote by CNC-Digity
I didn't know they gave Matt Freeman a signature bass.

Yep, and it just came in today! Played for a couple hours and I LOVE it. Feels excellent and sounds a lot better than my VM jazz bass. Setup out of the box was spot on. Neck looks straight, action is low, no buzzing and was mostly perfectly in tune!

I highly recommend the bass. The neck is amazing! Has a nice lacquer coating but not sticky feeling at all. Has an aged look as well.