With all the great reviews going round about Helix I was almost tempted but then saw a review of a product that has appeared with little publicity. It's the Atomic Amplifire and it's little bigger than a double effects pedal but inside are some really top quality leading edge amp models and effects. It's for the person who wants the best quality tones available but doesn't want option paralysis and a whole load of weird and wonderful tones they will never use. It can plug direct into a PA for those who like to do that, is a brilliant recording tool or will bring your amp alive with a great variety of tone options. It's only 599 dollars or £469 and it is way better than any other multi effects unit I have ever used or tried.

Check out the reviews. The software is great for easy editing, works and downloads without any problems and the company has already released a load of free custom tones to add to your unit. Indications are that the people who make it are leading edge experts in this technology but also guitarists and the product will develop over time.

Please, this is not another Pod or Zoom or Digitech it's in a class to compete with Helix, a Fractal Audio or Kemper for tone quality. I love it!
What exactly is the reason for this thread? It seems just like an advertisement to me.

I wouldn't be surprised if it gets closed
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Dude where was TS the other day when I made a thread about this thing.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by abutcher713

Check out the reviews.

I've seen mixed reviews. And those are from people who actually own them, who've had them for a while, have had (or currently own) other modelers. I have to note that I don't put a *lot* of stock in internet forum reviews, however. Far too many glowing comments from 14-year-olds who've never touched one and who are simply parroting someone else's review, and that someone else may actually be reviewing the spec sheet and the marketing copy or may be a completely inappropriate reviewer for the gear ("and now the ultimate question: Does It Drift?!").

Maybe you can do an actual review of yours rather than provide marketing copy?

I've seen/heard an example at the LA Amp Show in October. Of the folks I know who were also there, most felt it was a decent piece, but noted that there's an increasing level of competition in that price range, and that it was going to be challenged to find shelf space.

I've had an email relationship with Tom King (Atomic Amps) since the first Atomic Reactor series amps were produced. Tom has a knack for finding niches and devising products that are clever and non-obvious but on-point.

The Reactor series were well-designed tube-amp powered speakers with a very wide range (but not FRFR) that had a hot-swappable bay for desktop modelers from Line 6, Vox, M-Audio and Behringer (via adapters). This effectively made them an extremely efficient and versatile combo amp. They were produced a bit cheaply in China (the tolex peels off them easily) but were smart and timely.

His second product was a follow-on set of speaker designs that used the 50W tube amp (in the powered versions) and that added a tweeter to 12" speakers to produce something approaching an FRFR setup to go with all modelers.

A stereo rack-mount version of a pair of the 50W tube amps was available to power the passive versions, but it was overpriced and short-lived.

His current offering is the CLR, a compact coaxial 12" speaker (active and passive versions available) cabinet designed by Jay Mitchell that can be had with an internal high-power solid state amp, and which is marketed as a close companion to a modeler.

Atomic has, however, marketed in batches. The Reactor series is no longer made and parts aren't available. Ditto for the wedge and box speakers with the tweeter. Same for the rack-mount tube amp.

I'm not at all sure that I would expect an upgrade or a follow-on product or long-term support for any product coming from Atomic, given their history. Tom provides very good (and often personal) support for any current product, but he instantly orphans products that are no longer sold.
Last edited by dspellman at Nov 20, 2015,
Just for the record, I am not advertising and I am 62 not 14 having played for 50 years. What frustrates me is that every time someone brings out something new that aims to be an improvement on what's out there, you get a whole load of people who have never heard the thing slagging it off. My purpose in posting this was to hope people would get behind this product in which case it will have a future. I haven't looked at the forum for some time but why all the negativity?
Quote by abutcher713
Just for the record, I am not advertising and I am 62 not 14 having played for 50 years. What frustrates me is that every time someone brings out something new that aims to be an improvement on what's out there, you get a whole load of people who have never heard the thing slagging it off. My purpose in posting this was to hope people would get behind this product in which case it will have a future. I haven't looked at the forum for some time but why all the negativity?

I have never tried it, but from my experiences with pedal type preamps, I don't waist my money any more.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I have never tried it, but from my experiences with pedal type preamps, I don't waist my money any more.

To be fair this isn't quite the same as a Bogner Ecstasy or whatever, it's more like a POD but in a smaller package.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by abutcher713

But you haven't actually told us anything about it so there's really nothing to "get behind"?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
There are plenty of reviews on Youtube about it. All I am saying is that in my opinion having bought one, it's not just hype and marketing. The tones available from it are really high quality and to my ears better than Pod and others I've tried, some by a long way. I like that this can be achieved in a relatively small box and the software is the easiest to use of any of these things I've tried especially compared with the Boss Tone Central. Its price I feel is fair.

I didn't expect to attract a critique of my reviewing skills. I have'nt attempted to post a full review nor do I intend to. It would be easy to overlook a unit like this as just being another incarnation of the same. If it helps anyone to take a good look at it or a second look, then that's good and all ll I am hoping for.
Quote by dementiacaptain
To be fair this isn't quite the same as a Bogner Ecstasy or whatever, it's more like a POD but in a smaller package.

Oh OK.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I just saw this post and I just noticed the Atomic Amplifire just recently to. I came across it while watching YouTube. Chris Brightwell from Damage Inc was useing it as a preamp going in his Mesa Mark IIC+ return. I gotta say listening to that and a few other videos it's worth checking out.