Hey guys- I'm looking for a way to be able to stream recordings live onto the Internet. Here's the setup:

-I am using Reaper as my daw, and I would like to be able to go through reaper first so I can process tracks and apply a little mastering.
-My driver will likely be ASIO4ALL, only because I may be using multiple mixers/usb interfaces together so i can have more channels and process tracks cleanly and independently.
-i am on Windows 7 and i have a very good internet connection available, and my computer has pretty high processing power so i am not worried about limitations on that end

Basically, I want to be able to hit "record" in reaper, and while reaper is recording send the overall mix to some sort of online service that I can send to people as a link so they can stream / listen to it live. I like the "live" touch, because i think it causes people to be more natural and doesnt let us pause and "fix" things.

Sorry if i am too vague. Any help is appreciated!
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

There is value in recording live with all players interacting with each other. This captures an intangible live feel and groove that we want in our recordings. Streaming that live rough mix directly without any post processing or final mix/mastering has zero value that I can imagine unless you want it to sound like a rough mix with flaws. Not sure why anyone would choose to do that. Try it once and see if you agree.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
There is value in recording live with all players interacting with each other. This captures an intangible live feel and groove that we want in our recordings. Streaming that live rough mix directly without any post processing or final mix/mastering has zero value that I can imagine unless you want it to sound like a rough mix with flaws. Not sure why anyone would choose to do that. Try it once and see if you agree.

Its for a podcast live show type thing
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

What you describe is essentially you recording your live performance, then uploading it as podcast. I don't see how it will be live? It will still be a recorded mix.

If you want to stream like a radio show then you'd need something like Shoutcast service.

If you want to broadcast video and audio, look up here:
http://www.howto-connect.com/5-best-websites-to-broadcast-yourself-online-in-real-time/

You might need some kind of digital mixer to do that or maybe second computer to stream, not sure.

A radio show that I appeared on had a little mixer and then the broadcasting software that was getting all the audio from the mixer outs.
Last edited by diabolical at Nov 20, 2015,
Quote by diabolical
What you describe is essentially you recording your live performance, then uploading it as podcast. I don't see how it will be live? It will still be a recorded mix.

If you want to stream like a radio show then you'd need something like Shoutcast service.

If you want to broadcast video and audio, look up here:
http://www.howto-connect.com/5-best-websites-to-broadcast-yourself-online-in-real-time/

You might need some kind of digital mixer to do that or maybe second computer to stream, not sure.

A radio show that I appeared on had a little mixer and then the broadcasting software that was getting all the audio from the mixer outs.

A second computer is a good idea. I have an extra laptop that can handle the streaming, and my main PC can handle the daw/mix.

It seems like you guys are getting caught up on the minor details of what im saying that I want to do lol. I have a lot of people that want to listen to the podcast live (while we are recording) so they can call in and speak with us, ect. We obviously want to upload the result at the end, but having it be streamed live is important to us too
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

Sounds to me like you could probably do something with either a hardware mixing desk/recorder setup that streams the live "mix" realtime, like what we did in the studio for some sessions was always run a HD 2 track recorder on the 2bus (master bus) capturing any performances. Those back in the days were just regular cassette tapes and now HD recorders, but essentially capturing the live "monitor mix" or rough performance mix, whatever you want to call it.
The idea back then was that we wanted to capture any song changes or fresh ideas that people tend to produce during a session, in case they want to go back to these for another take.
Then 16 and later 24 track session was recorder with the instruments isolated going into first a reel-to-reel, then HD recorder and finally Pro Tools. Then you can mix that professionally and it becomes your album.

So anyway, I was thinking that same approach might work for you depending on the gear.
You can get a mixing board and use its insert points to capture your instruments direct into an audio interface, if you want to do a professional mix will probably need at least 12 inputs for multimic drums, 2 guitars, bass, vox, etc. The inserts could be used to capture your raw performance to DAW (or some kind of dedicated HD recorder), while the mixer master bus sends out the "broadcast mix" to the other PC.