Hi everyone. Got a question concerning the p90 pickup. I recently bought a reproduction Gibson 54 gold top kt. Turned out to be a lot harder than I could ever of thought. anyway right now the problem I am having is wiring the pickup. Manly I need to know which wire coming from the pickup is the ground and which is hot. Thanks
Dena
if its two wires it doesnt matter much but if you know what brand they are i can help
Quote by Tallwood13
if its two wires it doesnt matter much but if you know what brand they are i can help

If the ground and negative lead are combined then it can matter, no? Getting it wrong can mean lots of hum.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
i like to use humbuckers as an example, if we're working with a double conductor pickup like two wires coming out of one wire sort of thing , it doesn't matter is my understanding. Signal in and signal out is all that matters.

say for example with phase reversal on two wire humbuckers the only way you can do it is by flipping the magnets or doing what gary moores guitar tech did on one of his les pauls (maybe his 59) and accidentally put it in the wrong way. Regardless you've got one wire going to the base and one from coil to coil and out of the guitar if it's two conductor. My personal experience since I never used the middle position on one of my guitars with two humbuckers , both were two conductor if i swapped a ground and hot wire it didnt' matter on one guitar pickup (same brand too mind you). The only way I'd get phase reversal which isn't the hum issue .. but ... the only way to get phase reversal is to convert it to a 4 wire pickup. Hum out of 2 wire humbuckers in the isolated positions or not doesn't happen if there is only two wires.

The only issues I ever got hum out of is guitars not shielded properly , jacks not soldered with the right contacts (beginners mistake i fix) or guitars i fix that aren't wired properly , like string ground or just the path out of the guitar isn't right. Of course EMI protection like copper tape or a RFI/EMI reducing power bar go a long way.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Nov 20, 2015,
The phase was reversed on Gary Moore's LP back when Peter Green was still making hits with it with Fleetwood Mac in the late 60s. This article suggests the magnet was probably accidentally reversed in the factory.

Unfortunately, that's the extent of my knowledge; you're probably right if you say it works, since most of what I know about wiring is purely hypothetical.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i