Hey guys, I've been playing guitar for 2.5 years and recently I've started to jam with my friend, who plays bass guitar. We're about the same skill level on our respective intruments.

We want to cover songs from funk, jazz, or soul. The problem is that either the song contains too many other instruments to be played exactly, or if it doesn't, it's too difficult (I'm looking at you, jazz standards!)

Does anyone have any ideas of how a guitar/bass duo could cover these types of songs and still sound decent? We want to improve and also have fun but don't know where to start. In fact, any advice on playing in a small group like ours is welcome!

tl;dr: two guys wanna play something like >this< but 90% easier.
You just need to arrange the songs. Keep it simple enough. As you may hear in the video, the bass is basically the rhythm section while the guitar plays the melody and some chord tones.

You don't need to play all parts exactly like on the record. Do your own arrangements. Just play the most important parts, maybe add something of your own. Keep the bassline rhythmic and play melody (and some chord tones) on the guitar.

No song will work well with just guitar and bass if you play exactly the same parts as on the record because the original bass and guitar parts are made to sound good with the whole band, not alone.

Also, note that the solo in the video is improvised. You don't need to play solos or you could play easier solos. It's all up to you.

But yeah, try the first 30 seconds of that video. That shouldn't be too hard. And that's something you should maybe try to do with your own arrangements. You could of course simplify it even more. But it can't be too simple either.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
The above comments are pretty much right on. It's in the arrangements. Listen to others who play in trios and duos in styles similar. Get a go drum machine and learn how to program it. It's not that tough and gives you lots of opportunity to practice or perform.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70Tw1ByQ4fo
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Nov 21, 2015,
forget guitar, learn drums

i'll sell you my drumset if you drive to dallas
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by MaggaraMarine
But yeah, try the first 30 seconds of that video. That shouldn't be too hard. And that's something you should maybe try to do with your own arrangements. You could of course simplify it even more. But it can't be too simple either.

Thanks for the tip! We were able to figure out the chords, melody, and bass line from that video. I guess I was just intimidated by the improvised solo sections.

Quote by Rickholly74
Get a go drum machine and learn how to program it. It's not that tough and gives you lots of opportunity to practice or perform.

That's a really good idea that I hadn't thought of before, I'll look into it.

Quote by Hail
forget guitar, learn drums

i'll sell you my drumset if you drive to dallas

Haha, our bass player used to be a drum player but we just don't have enough people to play all the instruments.

Quote by NeoMvsEu
Check out Mike Masse, did a bit of acoustic and bass duo stuff on YouTube

Thans for the recommendation, he has great stuff! I'm super jealous of these people who can play guitar and sing at the same time.
You really just need to find a drummer. In the meantime, use pre-recorded tracks.