Hey, so this is an issue that's been consistant for over the years, and thought I'd reach out and see if anyone can help me.

I record guitar with an M-Audio Fast Track USB, and use Reaper as my DAW.
Whenever I pan a guitar track left, I get a loud ear piercing whistling noise. It's worsened by increasing gain, and turning up the track volume. But when I pan to the right, the sound is non-existant no matter how high the gain or track volume. It does this for all of my guitars, and through any amp simulating software.

But if I record panned fully left without the track monitor the sound isn't there after the matter. I have no idea why it's happening, but it's been plaguing me for years.
My interface has a mic and guitar input, they're stereo as well, so the mic represents one side, and the guitar represent the other. But when using with reaper, it's automatically set to mono so the guitar comes in center.
Any help is appreciated
Also I should add, if I turn the guitar track volume down while panned left, the sound won't be there. But it's definitely too quiet to be used in a mix at that volume.
Quote by Frankieanime78
Anyone? .-.

People here have lives bro. You just created the thread today, it might take some time for people to answer. Be patient.
Sounds to me like you haven't properly configured your input channels in Reaper.

Do you record guitar direct into the M-Track or are you miking an amp?

That's what I found doing generic search:
http://www.noterepeat.com/products/m-audio/m-track/378-m-audio-m-track-plus-setup-with-reaper

It might not hurt to find the latest drivers for your interface and try reinstalling just in case they've had to fix some issue on the older driver.
Hey man, just a question. What are you panning? Is it the track in reaper? This sounds very strange to me, but my initial thought is:

You're panning left which is doubling the gain in the left channel and distorting it (causing the whistling) and when you pan right you're pulling all the sound out, so your pan is essentially running as a volume knob... Seems unlikely but it's all I can think of.

Its hard to see what you're talking about without seeing it. Maybe you should try recording directly in with no amp sim as a mono channel and see if the sound is there and can be panned as normal. If that's all good then the problem is in your sim.

Sounds like you got some voodoo happening up in here.
Guitarist/singer/songwriter/producer from Melbourne, Australia.

Check out my blog on everything music at www.lockyberesford.com
Quote by lockyberesford
Hey man, just a question. What are you panning? Is it the track in reaper? This sounds very strange to me, but my initial thought is:

You're panning left which is doubling the gain in the left channel and distorting it (causing the whistling) and when you pan right you're pulling all the sound out, so your pan is essentially running as a volume knob... Seems unlikely but it's all I can think of.

Its hard to see what you're talking about without seeing it. Maybe you should try recording directly in with no amp sim as a mono channel and see if the sound is there and can be panned as normal. If that's all good then the problem is in your sim.

This guy is on the right track i think. Reaper has some options per track and master track for pan law and for "width". I think messing with these settings alters how the pan knob behaves. There might be another option too that modifies how the pan knob behaves. Try searching "Reaper panning not working" or something in google and people will probably be more versed in it. Im guessing its just a problem with your settings and you are really loud in one channel. Btw, what Driver are you using in your device settings?
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by diabolical
Sounds to me like you haven't properly configured your input channels in Reaper.

Do you record guitar direct into the M-Track or are you miking an amp?

That's what I found doing generic search:
http://www.noterepeat.com/products/m-audio/m-track/378-m-audio-m-track-plus-setup-with-reaper

It might not hurt to find the latest drivers for your interface and try reinstalling just in case they've had to fix some issue on the older driver.

I'm plugging my guitar direct into the interface, which connects to my desktop. So nothing else in the chain..
Quote by lockyberesford

Having you explain it like that makes a lot of sense. But I'm panning using the pan knob on the track itself where you arm recording and adjust the volume..
If what you're saying is what's going on, than I'm not sure how I can work around it. If the track is set to stereo, panning to the left just turns off the volume. Since the signal only exists in the right channel technically.. This stuff is frustrating >.>
Quote by Watterboy
This guy is on the right track i think. Reaper has some options per track and master track for pan law and for "width". I think messing with these settings alters how the pan knob behaves. There might be another option too that modifies how the pan knob behaves. Try searching "Reaper panning not working" or something in google and people will probably be more versed in it. Im guessing its just a problem with your settings and you are really loud in one channel. Btw, what Driver are you using in your device settings?

Yea, I've never really looked into panning. Always thought it was just as simple as turning the obvious panning knob that sits right on the track monitor :s

But driver for the device? As in M-Audio? It says "5.10.0.5133" which is dated for 5/8/2009. It's just what automaically downloads when I first plug it in. The disc that came with the device has the same driver on it. And when I try to find updates, it tells me it's up to date. But since Avid bought out M-Audio, it's impossible to find drivers, or any information on my device specifically it seems like.. I've used ASIO4All as well, but if I drop it below 512 samples, it glitches. It basically sounds like if you put a tremelo effects pedal on the guitar and set it for half second intervals. Since the driver M-Audio has installed is always at 256, I never use anything else. That bit of latency bothers me with Asio4all..
Quote by DanyFS
People here have lives bro. You just created the thread today, it might take some time for people to answer. Be patient.

Yea sorry about that. I just bumped it the next morning.. Just been very frustrated with this issue
Well, go into Reaper input setup and try to separate the stereo channel into two inputs, I think you can.

OK, if you don't record and just play back some mp3 files you import in a project - how does playback handle it?

Try to talk to some guys on the Reaper forum, they might be more knowledgeable in regards to setup.
Quote by diabolical
Well, go into Reaper input setup and try to separate the stereo channel into two inputs, I think you can.

OK, if you don't record and just play back some mp3 files you import in a project - how does playback handle it?

Try to talk to some guys on the Reaper forum, they might be more knowledgeable in regards to setup.
Using anything else in reaper, whether it's a mic or MP3 file, it doesn't do this. I don't think it has to do with Reaper specifically, but how my guitar signal is translated through the interface. But that's a good idea, I'll head over there and ask them as well
Quote by diabolical
Hang on...so when you use a mic on the same say "Channel/Input#1" it records without any issues?

Yeaup, if I record with a mic and pan, it doesn't do that.. Considering it's the other channel of the device, it would make sense to do the same thing when panned fully right, but nope.. Nothing :s

Is this what you have?

When you plug into the XLR it is OK, but when you go to guitar you get a squeal?

When you connect into #2, input level should be on "guitar", input monitor should be set to mono and you can vary the input vs playback mix. I imagine you're doing all this. If it is still screwy, if you don't want to spend more $, just get a cheapie DI box and run it at the XLR input, case closed.

One of these will do:
http://www.sweetwater.com/c957--Direct_Boxes?params=eyJmYWNldCI6eyJQcmljZSBSYW5nZSI6WyIxIiwiMiJdfX0

Whirlwind or Samson if you ask me.
Quote by diabolical

Is this what you have?

When you plug into the XLR it is OK, but when you go to guitar you get a squeal?

When you connect into #2, input level should be on "guitar", input monitor should be set to mono and you can vary the input vs playback mix. I imagine you're doing all this. If it is still screwy, if you don't want to spend more $, just get a cheapie DI box and run it at the XLR input, case closed.

One of these will do:
http://www.sweetwater.com/c957--Direct_Boxes?params=eyJmYWNldCI6eyJQcmljZSBSYW5nZSI6WyIxIiwiMiJdfX0

Whirlwind or Samson if you ask me.
Yeaup, that's exactly what I use, and the mix is fine.. And yea I have it set on guitar and all that stuff. Alright though, I'll check those out
Quote by Frankieanime78
Hey, so this is an issue that's been consistant for over the years, and thought I'd reach out and see if anyone can help me.

I record guitar with an M-Audio Fast Track USB, and use Reaper as my DAW.
Whenever I pan a guitar track left, I get a loud ear piercing whistling noise. It's worsened by increasing gain, and turning up the track volume. But when I pan to the right, the sound is non-existant no matter how high the gain or track volume. It does this for all of my guitars, and through any amp simulating software.

But if I record panned fully left without the track monitor the sound isn't there after the matter. I have no idea why it's happening, but it's been plaguing me for years.
My interface has a mic and guitar input, they're stereo as well, so the mic represents one side, and the guitar represent the other. But when using with reaper, it's automatically set to mono so the guitar comes in center.
Any help is appreciated

With these kinds of things, I always record mono with the instruments, and then mix on the computer, that way you dont get any problems on the in between. Record your song onto separate tracks, but dont pan or mix or master anything, just export the raw data to your computer. From there, you can get like Audacity if you want something free or Nuendo if you want something godly (its hella expensive though), and then pan and mix there. The positives to doing it this way is you get a more full sound, you have more control over what goes on in your song, there are less problems on the way in between recording, and you get a neat mp3 or wav when youre done.