So i have a godin redline 1, and im not a big fan of the emg 81 in the bridge. Also, ill be getting locking tuners. Im getting a new valve amp pretty soon, and when i do, im gonna play with the emg when i get my amp for a bit to see if i still wanna keep it. If not, what are some good suggestions for a bridge pickup? Passive prefered over active.

I play a lot of music genres, but the godin redline is my "shred guitar". I play mostly thrash, death, and nwobhm heavy metal

Thanks for the help

Nick

Ps- amp will most likely be a carvin v3m, or a marshall dsl40
Last edited by ngav3 at Nov 21, 2015,
I'd go with the Carvin V3M, myself.

I love Godins...the Redline 1- is that the one with the single EMG in the bridge and a volume knob?

Also, what is your budget?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Yup, thats the one with the single bridge pickup. For the actual pickup, budget is under $150
There is no "best." I could probably name ten models that would all make you very happy, but in different ways.

That said, I'm loving my Seymour Duncan Black Winters. They have a lot of output, are pretty balanced across all frequencies, and very dynamic. Definitely very aggressive and gnarly for thrash, death, and black metal styles. The leads on the neck pickups are superb; very "shreddy" in my opinion. I've never been one to use the neck pickup very much except for cleans, but with the BWs, I'm almost always on the neck pup for leads because they sound so liquidy-good. Cleans are amazing too, on the bridge and the neck. Again, I've never been one to use the bridge pickups for cleans very often, but I do use the BW bridge for cleans fairly often.

They are some of the most well-rounded pickups I've ever played, yet absolutely KILL at what they are marketed for -- extreme metal. But you could play any genre with them and be happy with your choice...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
The EMG 81 is perfect for those genres. But there are some guitars it does sound completely horrible in, losing its attack. Why do you not like it?

Try Seymour Duncan's SH-5 Custom, Gary Holt used one for quite awhile
Baby Joel's rabbit profile picture is kinda cute. #TeamJOEL
Or for $160 you can have Scott Ian's Duncan El Diablo pickup made for you
To be completely honest, i havent gotten a good taste of the emg 81 yet. Since my amp is basically one of those start pack amps haha...long story about my old amp that got destroyed. So basically once i get my new amp, ill use the 81 for a while, and see if i like it
In that case you shouldn't have even thought about buying a new pickup. With the right amp that pickup is one of the crunchiest pickups out there. If you don't like it after you give a true chance try out that Duncan Custom I mentioned above
Seymour Duncan passive pick ups are awesome. Put a SH-4 in on of my guitars and it sounds great. I'd definitely check out their lineup of passives if you want to get a new bridge pickup. There are lot's of comparison Videos on YouTube which give you a pretty good look on who they'll sound.

Edit: Here's on of those Videos I was talking about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRtL6Lb5TnU
Guitar: IBANEZ RGIR20BFE-WNF
Strings: Ernie Ball .010 - .052
Amp: Yamaha THR10X | Orange Micro Dark
Effects: Boss MetalCore ML-2, Zoom 505 II, CryBaby
Last edited by svelle at Nov 21, 2015,
Quote by PiercedBand
In that case you shouldn't have even thought about buying a new pickup. With the right amp that pickup is one of the crunchiest pickups out there. If you don't like it after you give a true chance try out that Duncan Custom I mentioned above

^^100% agreed on this. You can't get a true sense of how an EMG 81 will sound through a cheap practice amp. In fact, the 81 would probably be one of the last pickups I'd choose if I had to play a "starter-pack" amp -- it would simply push the amp too hard and make a bad tone sound even worse. When driving a medium to high gain tube amp, they can sound amazing (but then again, that's an opinion -- some people don't like them). That's what they were meant to do, anyway.

If you get one of the amps you mentioned, it will likely sound very good. But once you develop your ear for 'good' tone, you may decide it doesn't quite provide what you need. But then again, it might be the perfect tone for you.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
If you eventually decide on passive pickups, I agree- the Seymour Duncan Black Winters are a great choice, and are more versatile than their name leads you to believe.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Under $150... $140 gets you a Bareknuckle. I would recommend a Holy Diver for you, or if you lean more toward the heavier side, a ceramic War Pig.

EDIT: Oh you're not sure what you want because you play through a cheap crappy amp.

Deal with that first then come back. That said I know the EMG dislike.

Try doing the 18V mod before you drop $150 on a pickup.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Nov 22, 2015,
dimarzio d-activators are pretty nice all around (they will be going into my ibanez prestige), may be a little heavy.

dimarzio super distortion is THE 80's thrash hair pickup.

SD JB cold be a good option.

i haven't tried the black winters yet, but i will be putting them in a different prestige.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/