I started this build because I want to challenge myself. I am creating a 25.5" scale custom guitar but not using any power tools along the way. Might as well start with work in progress pics. The total work involved in getting to this stage is roughly 4-6 hours. The entire project is derived from 3 pieces of lumber: quarter sawn Canadian rock maple for the neck, rosewood fretboard, and [un-pictured] an alder body.

Gear: Carvin Bel Air 212 50W, Carvin X100B 50watt, Orange Dark Terror, Egnater Rebel 30, ESP Eclipse-II, ESP Custom Shop Viper Bass, LTD SC-500, LTD Alexi-600, LTD KH-202, Modded Jackson RR3, P.O.S. Warlock.
I have a friend who does loads of builds almost entirely but hand without power tools. I totally admire that, but could never do it myself....I tend to just use the wrong tools
The wood wasn't planed with power tools? The pieces were sawn with a hand saw?
They were dimensioned when I received them to withing 1/8" of where i needed them. I'm not trying to go full lumberjack and cut down my own trees. I planed all surfaces and then leveled them using a steel plate and sand paper. It is labor intensive, but I find it relaxing after being in the office all day.
Gear: Carvin Bel Air 212 50W, Carvin X100B 50watt, Orange Dark Terror, Egnater Rebel 30, ESP Eclipse-II, ESP Custom Shop Viper Bass, LTD SC-500, LTD Alexi-600, LTD KH-202, Modded Jackson RR3, P.O.S. Warlock.
Cool. I was just wondering how much of 100% was the 100% you were referring to.
Curious as to how you did the route for the truss rod. That looks pretty straight to me and looks like it may've been done using a router.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Curious as to how you did the route for the truss rod. That looks pretty straight to me and looks like it may've been done using a router.

I was wondering the same thing, it looks very neat. If that was hand-cut, I'm suitably impressed.

FWIW, I like filing for relaxation. I'm not very good at it, but it is satisfying.
Quote by dspellman
The wood wasn't planed with power tools? The pieces were sawn with a hand saw?

my mate does it with handsaws. I've seen him cut some massive pieces of wood by hand (takes him hours/days some times)......I just shake my head sometimes at his commitment
I'm not sure I understand the charm of working without power tools, unless you're getting ready for the Zombie Porklips or using it for therapy.
Quote by dspellman
I'm not sure I understand the charm of working without power tools, unless you're getting ready for the Zombie Porklips or using it for therapy.

I agree ... its just way to much hard work to make it fun at all
Quote by dspellman

It is a kind of therapy, like a lot of unnecessary physical (strike out "physical", make it "human") endeavours.
Last edited by Tony Done at Nov 21, 2015,
Quote by Tony Done
It is a kind of therapy, like a lot of unnecessary physical (strike out "physical", make it "human") endeavours.

Like whittlin'. Check that, this is *exactly* whittlin'.
Need chaw to go with that.
Yeah, I was into whittling when I was younger. - I could at one time count large numbers of scars, I forget how many, but it was a lot, on my lh index finger. One or two are still visible 50-odd years later. Then I discovered guitar and my use of hand tools became only occasional. I noodle while watching the TV, better than wood chips in the carpet, I guess.
Last edited by Tony Done at Nov 22, 2015,
Quote by Rendeath
I started this build because I want to challenge myself. I am creating a 25.5" scale custom guitar but not using any power tools along the way. Might as well start with work in progress pics. The total work involved in getting to this stage is roughly 4-6 hours. The entire project is derived from 3 pieces of lumber: quarter sawn Canadian rock maple for the neck, rosewood fretboard, and [un-pictured] an alder body.

nice so far!

fwiw, you might want to use a double action truss rod next time.

keep posting pix
I like to see this - it is somewhat what I did in high school (I used a hand jig-saw and power drill, but all of the rest was done using chisels, planes and sanding blocks). I built three solidbody guitars that way and I still play them more and enjoy them more than any of my purchased instruments.