Model is the Promag Grand Humbucker.

Backstory if that helps: An older chap came in the music store I work at recently and was curious about putting electronics in one of the classical guitars. I suggested just a pickup as that would be easier. He did not want the single-coil DM pup because of buzz (I do not blame him) but rather the humbucker. But I could not fit it onto the classical he was looking to buy, because the sound hole is too small. As well as the humbucker we had did not work at all. So I sold him the classical and said we could get a new humbucker in soon, but I would have to fit the pickup to the guitar, and I could only do so if he bought it first.

So today he came in and I fitted the pickup to the guitar (by hacking away at the foam cushions and wood), and then plugged it in to an amp. However, hardly any sound came out. I had the gain cranked but there was little sound.

Then it dawned on me that the classical strings are probably not doing the magical things that metal strings to do a pickup's magnetic field. So no sound is happening. Also on the classical I have with built-in active electronics, those sound like garbage too so I should have seen this coming.

Or maybe I am doing it wrong. I presume not, because I tried the pup on a steel-string and it worked properly.

tl;dr I owe a chap $96 USD.

Part two of this story is that now I can build the pickup back to fit on a steel string and I have a nice humbucker. And now other chaps will not try this either.

Some pup suggestions for him would be nice too.
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 21, 2015,
Look for something like the K&K Pure Classic, it is a piezo pickup, instead of the magnetic pickups you have talked about in your post.
Quote by Will Lane
. . . . . However, hardly any sound came out. I had the gain cranked but there was little sound.

Then it dawned on me that the classical strings are probably not doing the magical things that metal strings to do a pickup's magnetic field. So no sound is happening. . . .

Some pup suggestions for him would be nice too.

This is exactly right. Magnetic PUs will only work with ferrous metal strings - usually steel and/or nickel . Classical guitar strings are nylon monofilament and nylon multifilament wound with copper so there is no ferrous metal in them.

You need to use a piezo PU and if you are fitting it yourself it's best to use a type with stick-on transducers rather that try to fit an under-saddle one.