Got a Blues Jr. I like the size/weight and being able to crank it, but compared to a deluxe or deville it just doesn't sound full due to the size. Sure i can swap speaker and tubes and even give it a bigger cabinet, but I'm not sure if the cost is worth it since it would most likely only hurt the resale value of the amp. Should i look into getting another hotrod for a more full sound or would a few modifications to the Blue Jr make it sing?
This is just basic general advice (since I haven't tried modding a blues jr) but i think you're pretty much on the right track yourself- if you suspect the mods won't help much, they'll only hurt the resale and you run the risk of spending almost as much as would get you a hot rod (at least if you factor in selling the BJr) without any guarantee of getting the same results. If you know the Hot Rod will do exactly what you want, in other words, it's the safer option.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i personally think a blues junior is a much better sounding amp than a hot rod deluxe, so i would mod the JR.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
There are mods you can do to a BJr which could be reversed, a replacement pine cabinet as an example. However, if you want a Deluxe, as Dave has said, you would be better getting a Deluxe. Aren't they a different tube set for a start, as the BJr uses an EL84?
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
I would kinda avoid ANY Hot Rod series Fender makes unless you already have a few dirt pedals.
The OD channel of every Hot Rod Series amp I have played (Hot Rod Deville 4x10 extensively, the others, only occasionally) is shit.
A friend of mine has one and he never uses the OD channel on it, it sounds so bad.
And he can make a Line 6 Spider sound fairly decent.
But its got great cleans and is a damn fine pedal platform.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Nov 22, 2015,
How exactly are new tubes and speaker going to lower the resale value of the amp? You will still have the old speaker to throw back into it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ Sorry i got confused I meant you're not liable to recoup what the upgrades cost (especially the replacement cabinet). Reversible? Sure. Get back what you put in? Probably not.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah i meant like I bought the amp for around 300, if i put $100 to $200 then I've spent 500ish on the amp when a used hot rod is around 400 and resales well. Honestly I had a HOD and sold it for a Blues JR because I wanted less watts, I liked the fact that i could make the JR break up without busting ears. I think ill be happier if I can get the JR sound better with some mods. but my question is, how much better will mods make it sound. is it worth it tho, since i could just sell my amp and buy something else for around $500
But then you'll have your new speaker to use in something else. If you buy a HR Deluxe it will need actual mods unless you are happy to use it as single channel amp.
Personally, I think the BJ is a better sounding amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The BJ is a better sounding amp with a much worse sounding speaker

Get a decent one in there before you decide to go for a hot rod. The Eminence Cannabis Rex is my fav for the BJr, and a nice set of JJ tubes
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Quote by Cathbard
(a) But then you'll have your new speaker to use in something else.

(b) Personally, I think the BJ is a better sounding amp.

(a) true, but that's not absolutely guaranteed- it might be the wrong impedance, or the wrong wattage, or just not suit the next amp you get.

(b) it may well be, it's a good while since i've tried either.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i persnoally thing the BJ sounds GREAT driven. but its a single channel fender. naturally driving a fender is a common place with good tone.

fender's 2nd channel drive tones are known to be pretty darn aweful, aka the 2nd channel of a hot rod. i mean, they get it done for the standard classic rock bar gig but aside from that not really worth talking about.

i would much rather get a good speaker in the BJ, a sm57 mic or a senheiser, and a solid 1-2 pedals like a OD and a boost, some combo you like to push that thing in different variations of natural drive.

ive heard more BJs on the gigging scene than any other amp...and ive never heard one sound bad. ever. if i had to name 1 amp that literally cant sound bad, its a blues junior.

the cannabis rex is good.

http://proguitarshop.com/andyscorner/humboldt-hot-rod-shootout

PGS used to sell hot rod series modded. sure you can youtube this combo or the PGS humboldt and hear what that speaker does in that amp.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Last edited by ikey_ at Nov 22, 2015,
Quote by Dave_Mc
(a) true, but that's not absolutely guaranteed- it might be the wrong impedance, or the wrong wattage, or just not suit the next amp you get.
Meh. Doesn't ever guitarist have a stock of speakers that they've pulled out of amps? One day you'll use them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
possibly, but i have 3 V30s that I can't imagine ever using
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hmmm, I like both the BJr and the HRD. They do sound a bit different but not so much in a live band situation. A good OD pedal and a different speaker will probably get you there. Remember that there are no perfect amps. They all got warts and we tend to swap them out more often than really necessary. After owning about 25 different amps I think maybe I can work with these 5 for a while.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
If you like the way it sounds, just get an extension cab for it, don't worry about modding it or swapping out the speaker in it. Pick up a Hot Rod 1x12 Extension cab and swap out the speaker in that for something more along the lines of your tastes. If you end up ditching the BJ, you can pick up a Hot Rod Deluxe and still have a matching extension cab.

New tubes are an inevitability with any tube amplifier, so you may as well toss some new ones in it.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.