Page 1 of 2
Who is a good guitarist? what makes him good? in your opinion.
technicality? knowledge of theory? who can come up with the best licks?
ts's mom can come up with the best licks
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3
ts's mom can come up with the best licks

are you a good guitarist?
A good guitarist is one who can do their job well.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Inventiveness, uniqueness, emphasis on exploration. Technically able, certainly. 100% technical all the time? If it works for them, sure, but it's a stylistic choice.

Some examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAJJATb9Xf0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS5NZVQh8KY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXxZ3exL26U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoGSUOVrlkk
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by luffy1999
what makes him good?

awful
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Someone who knows what sounds they want to make and can reliably make those sounds

I am not a good guitarist
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
A good guitarist doesn't break a g-string while fingering Amin
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
For me a good guitarist is someone that plays with good feel and that just makes good music. A great guitarist is that, but also a beast technically.
After all these years, hearing "technical" still makes me cringe.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by eGraham

I know what you mean, I kind of hate the word "technical" myself, because it kind of makes it sound like "classical" and robotic, without feel. But to me, it really means proficient in a number of techniques, and possessing a high proficiency in dexterity and physical ability on the guitar. "technical" is just a lot faster to say.

Guitar is an instrument where you can learn a lot of different difficult techniques. From just playing basic things very quickly, to completely different styles of play. And that's the difference between a good guitarist and a great guitarist, to me. As long as the technical proficiency is added to musicality rather than replacing it.
Last edited by fingrpikingood at Nov 21, 2015,
Quote by chaoticfables at #33693723
a good guitarist should be able 2 play the guitar

Promote this man
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
Quote by eGraham at #33693713

Sounds like someones not very technical
Quote by MeTallIcA313
Guys, you heard Mr. Sacamano. No fun until racism is over.
Prince. The dude is one of the best rhythm guitarists alive. He can play lead, too. In many styles—acoustic blues, electric blues, jazz, pop, funk, r&b, and even full-on shred. Prince is a killer bass player—better than many professional bassists. And he can do all of that while singing falsetto. And dancing. In high heels. With a hot female dancer grinding against him. Who else does all that?
The ability to be able to express musical ideas via the guitar

Basically if they can play the music they want to, and have good control over the expressiveness of the guitar, then they are a good guitarist.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by UltimateGuizar
Seen this lad one time with his guitar on his back helping an old lady cross the road.
He was a good guitar player.

Eh, he was okay.
In artistic terms, Dylan Carlson and/or Bill Orcutt is as good a guitarist as Tosin Abasi or Chris Arp are.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by eGraham
Someone who knows what sounds they want to make and can reliably make those sounds

I am not a good guitarist

this

Quote by fingrpikingood
I know what you mean, I kind of hate the word "technical" myself, because it kind of makes it sound like "classical" and robotic, without feel. But to me, it really means proficient in a number of techniques, and possessing a high proficiency in dexterity and physical ability on the guitar. "technical" is just a lot faster to say.

I disagree with that part, to me, good classical music is the ultimate mix of soulful playing and actual skill.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
You grammar is terrible, I think what you meant to say is:

The Who had a good guitarist.
Saw Steve Morse with Deep Purple in 2013

was fucking great
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

I saw Steve Morse and the Dixie Dregs open for Rush, I think on their Moving Pictures tour.
This was when Eddie Van Halen was basically god to everyone.
I remember saying to my friend, "This guy makes Eddie Van Halen look like a fucking amateur".

I'd kill to see him with Deep Purple.
They've been to Reno a few times in the past.
Quote by CodeMonk
I saw Steve Morse and the Dixie Dregs open for Rush, I think on their Moving Pictures tour.
This was when Eddie Van Halen was basically god to everyone.
I remember saying to my friend, "This guy makes Eddie Van Halen look like a fucking amateur".

I'd kill to see him with Deep Purple.
They've been to Reno a few times in the past.

If you ever get the chance, drop what you are doing and go see that.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by Vampire_State

allow the 90s vk visuals but for real rosier is The One such a tune
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by Pastafarian96
this

I disagree with that part, to me, good classical music is the ultimate mix of soulful playing and actual skill.

Ya, didn't mean to say classical was robotic. Should have put a comma there after classical. The classical in quotes wasn't to say all classical is robotic, but that philosophy that classical is the correct technique or whatever. The focus on doing everything "right" and placing your hands the "correct" way, instead of playing with feel.

Classical music is as good as the people playing it, just like everything else. The greats, were written by greats.
Last edited by fingrpikingood at Nov 22, 2015,
a good guitarist says grace at dinner or else he doesn't get a cookie for dessert, ok??
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by vintage x metal
a good guitarist says grace at dinner or else he doesn't get a cookie for dessert, ok??

OKI MAWM.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Page 1 of 2