Page 1 of 2
I tried venting to my girlfriend and my non-guitar playing friends, but they obviously don't get it, which is understandable.

Anyways, I've had a hard-on for Gibson LP Customs ever since I was a wee lad and saw the big names playing them, but within the last few years I feel like Gibson has really started to let themselves go.

Two major beefs that I'm more than happy to debate/discuss:
1) Richlite. I know this is old news, but over the years I haven't really gotten the taste of it out of my mouth. I've heard the argument of, "oh it mimics ebony in tonality and appearance and it's renewable...etc", but that doesn't mean it's not bullshit. Tonewood itself is a crock of shit imo (GASP go easy on me) and regardless, it's composite.

I'm all for innovations in guitar manufacturing since there has been very little - especially with the big name manufactures, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around this. Epiphone releases Ebony-clad guitars for way cheaper. Look at the Matt Heafy signatures (I understand that Epi's use different quality woods, but that's not the point)

It bothers me that there are so many elitists within the Gibson community that condemn unorthodox gear like Kemper and Fractal, yet gladly usher in stuff like this.

2) Cost. I wouldn't be so bothered by richlite if the standard ~$3800 price tag stayed the same or decreased. But $4800?!

What makes this guitar worth $1000 more? A composite fretboard? PLEK'd frets? I don't think so.

If I'm going to drop my hard-earned cash, I'll buy a used one for half that. But thanks anyways Gibson. * middle finger emoji *
Whats a Gibson
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Whats a Gibson

Like Mel Gibson or something.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
Like Mel Gibson or something.
Is he the one who doesn't like the jews
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Banjocal at #33694166

no that was Adolf Hitler
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Banjocal

Nah, that's the conspiracy theorists.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by Trowzaa
no that was Adolf Hitler

same difference

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by Banjocal

no that's everyone
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
oh wait he was mad max

right

idk i never got antisemitism from max

what were we talking about again?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
something about how hitler did nothing wrong

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
antisemitism killed jew chords
Quote by theogonia777
antisemitism killed jew chords

The thing is, probably true, hence its sad.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
I feel you, but I've always preferred the Gibson Macbook over Les Paul Customs.
Bring me the Road Warrior.

“We’re built of contradictions, all of us. It’s those opposing forces that give us strength, like an arch, each block pressing the next. Give me a man whose parts are all aligned in agreement and I’ll show you madness. We walk a narrow path, insanity to each side. A man without contradictions to balance him will soon veer off.”

silentfall.bandcamp.com
I've been saying for ages, Gibson are MADLY overpriced. They're the apple of guitar makers. It's ridiculous that they're still in business, because they literally offer the worst value for money of any company I can think of.
Quote by pedromiles101

What makes this guitar worth $1000 more?

just kind of fundamental basics of supply/demand pr much.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by GFraser
I've been saying for ages, Gibson are MADLY overpriced. They're the apple of guitar makers. It's ridiculous that they're still in business, because they literally offer the worst value for money of any company I can think of.

well like apple they sell a status symbol what do you expect
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by DQcrewmember
how do you ban people from posting in your threads?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You don't

Quote by Zaphikh
"Why are we here?"

"Plastic... asshole."
without wishing to get into a flamewar, RE the status symbol + price thing

that's why I use G&L

*hides*

and they're better, too
Quote by EndTheRapture51

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Did somebody say Gibson?

I don't know why you would want a Custom RI anyway considering the models a lot of your heroes played were 70-80s models that are still pretty cheap on the used market now. Like why have the fake version when you can have the real one?

The only reason why I own a Standard RIs is because owning a 59 would be in the realms of 5-6 figures. If I could go on Ebay and get a '58 LP Standard for what a used LP Custom goes for I would have like 12 of them.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I just cannot understand the reason anyone would feel the need to spend nearly $5000 on a guitar.
I solved my Gibson problems by buying used SG specials. I get the Gibson sound and neck profile I like for $500 or less. If I’m lucky the previous owner already paid to have the nut slot and frets fixed. If not I can pay to get them fixed and still have spent less than the guitar cost new. And that asshole Henry J. gets none of my money.
I'll tell ya what's more BS than the tonewood argument: the tonewood argument in regards to ELECTRIC guitars
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by K33nbl4d3
well like apple they sell a status symbol what do you expect

There's your answer OP.
Gibson is way overpriced for the quality you get these days. If I'm going to overspend on an electric guitar, I'm getting a PRS, because at least I know the neck won't warp after 5 years. Happened to my Explorer, no joke
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Quote by Dreadnought
I'll tell ya what's more BS than the tonewood argument: the tonewood argument in regards to ELECTRIC guitars
God, I hate when I hear people saying shit like "oh this koa wood is much brighter than this amber, etc."

No it's not, there's no difference in sound when it's going through magnetic pickups. And even if there was a difference, it's so minuscule and unnoticeable that as a guitarist you should be able to make the difference yourself. Want it to sound brighter? Then play brighter. Want a warmer sweeter sound? Pluck the note that way then. There are so many ways for the player to change the timbre on a guitar, it's not like a piano. I think it's largely placebo effect.
I really like richlite. Looks like your argument is bunk.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by pedromiles101
I tried venting to my girlfriend and my non-guitar playing friends, but they obviously don't get it, which is understandable.

Anyways, I've had a hard-on for Gibson LP Customs ever since I was a wee lad and saw the big names playing them, but within the last few years I feel like Gibson has really started to let themselves go.

Two major beefs that I'm more than happy to debate/discuss:
1) Richlite. I know this is old news, but over the years I haven't really gotten the taste of it out of my mouth. I've heard the argument of, "oh it mimics ebony in tonality and appearance and it's renewable...etc", but that doesn't mean it's not bullshit. Tonewood itself is a crock of shit imo (GASP go easy on me) and regardless, it's composite.

I'm all for innovations in guitar manufacturing since there has been very little - especially with the big name manufactures, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around this. Epiphone releases Ebony-clad guitars for way cheaper. Look at the Matt Heafy signatures (I understand that Epi's use different quality woods, but that's not the point)

It bothers me that there are so many elitists within the Gibson community that condemn unorthodox gear like Kemper and Fractal, yet gladly usher in stuff like this.

2) Cost. I wouldn't be so bothered by richlite if the standard ~$3800 price tag stayed the same or decreased. But $4800?!

What makes this guitar worth $1000 more? A composite fretboard? PLEK'd frets? I don't think so.

If I'm going to drop my hard-earned cash, I'll buy a used one for half that. But thanks anyways Gibson. * middle finger emoji *

I'm all for the composite fretboard if it will add stability. I'm tired of my guitar nex changing with the weather and frets popping up. If it would help this dilemma I don't know.
I bought a Hagstrom that had a composite fretboard . I can't even remember the model is that terrible? I do remember the fretwork. It was okay throughout the neck but it actually had fret noise on just one fret that it was almost completely fretting , way way gigantic defect.
I have a Gibson, that ES 339. It's taken years, I think I've had it for at least six years. The neck is finally become stable and I don't have to adjust it all the time. I've had the nut done and the bridge made to fit the radius of the neck. It always had kind of a dead spot from about fret 8 to 13 or 14 depending on its mood. That's gone.
It took a lot of getting used to okay but now I like it. It's a keeper. It's worth twice as much now, new, as when I bought it for 1200 , open box. Even though they sell for over two grand now I doubt very seriously if I can even get one. It is in great condition no scratches no nothing but you can tell it's not new. I always want to get new tuners for because of vintage ones suck. You can't get them to function properly but it just takes a lot more work to get a new set of strings broken in.
If I'm honest, I'd rather spend $400-500 on a nice used guitar and mod the shit out of it so it's exactly what I want. My cap for buying a new guitar is 1k. Not a penny more, and that's on the high end. There is nothing a $1500+ guitar can do that I need, or can't mod up for a fraction of the price myself. Learning to solder, wire, and modify a guitar from a shell body/neck was the best thing I ever did. It opened so many doors for me and really set the 'I need a multi-thousand dollar guitar NAO' mindset on fire.

“We’re built of contradictions, all of us. It’s those opposing forces that give us strength, like an arch, each block pressing the next. Give me a man whose parts are all aligned in agreement and I’ll show you madness. We walk a narrow path, insanity to each side. A man without contradictions to balance him will soon veer off.”

silentfall.bandcamp.com
Quote by Baby Joel
just kind of fundamental basics of supply/demand pr much.

No, it because Jenry Juszkiewicz is an assshole and a dumbass.

Proof:

Last edited by CodeMonk at Nov 29, 2015,
Quote by JustRooster
I really like richlite. Looks like your argument is bunk.

My Martin has a Richlite fretboard and I am loving it. Also played a fair few Fretless Zon basses with a phenowood fretboard, which is pretty much the same thing. Again, wonderful material.
I don't know or really care about the Richlite debate as per sound/tone because lol that shit is for dorks. But it's supposedly more sustainable, so if that's true, that's all good with me. Guitars should find better resources other than wood.
Free Ali
Free Lard
Quote by chrismendiola
I don't know or really care about the Richlite debate as per sound/tone because lol that shit is for dorks. But it's supposedly more sustainable, so if that's true, that's all good with me. Guitars should find better resources other than wood.

Other than wood, the most easily replenished building material on the planet?
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
Other than wood, the most easily replenished building material on the planet?

I didn't say woods should be replaced entirely or significantly. Cutting down fewer trees is all I mean.
Free Ali
Free Lard
Page 1 of 2