My signal chain is as follows:

guitar -> preamp -> [Hi-Z signal] -> ABY splitter -> A. PA system, B. Headphones

The fact that the signal from the preamp is used both in a PA system and in a pair of headphones, naturally causes an issue: When splitting in AB-mode the signal to the PA is almost completely lost. This causes a huge volume-jump, when switching between A/B and AB modes.

I'm currently trying to figure out the best way to solve this, and have come up with 2 potential solutions:

1. Putting a buffer-pedal in front of the ABY pedal. If my logic holds, this would power the headphones, and keep the signal steady, no matter if it's being split or not?

2. Putting a headphone amp behind the ABY pedal, powering the headphones, reducing the signal loss significantly. There will still be a small loss in high end, due to the signal still being split without being buffered.

Can anyone help me decide, which would be the better solution, or perhaps lead me down a 3. route?
I reckon your ABY splitter is badly designed.
What is it exactly?

Getting a good one will probably solve the issue.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
I reckon your ABY splitter is badly designed.
What is it exactly?

Getting a good one will probably solve the issue.

A passive ABY splitter can't really be poorly designed, unless it's downright poorly soldered.
Quote by mathias.loekke.
A passive ABY splitter can't really be poorly designed
The difference in volume is most likely due to the difference in input impedance of the headphones vs the PA system (likely around 60ohm vs 600ohm), so if you use an ABY spltter that doesn't add any resistance to even the volume of the sound going into the headphones and the sound going into the PA system, you'll end up with a big difference in output volume when you switch between devices.

So yeah, you may be using the wrong ABY splitter for the task.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Wouldn't something along the lines of http://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behringer/Signal-Processors/Headphone-Amplifiers/MA400/p/P0491 be more appropriate than a splitter?

I appreciate, in this instance, the in-out is only mic line level which wouldn't be favourite for a line level but somewhere in the chain you will need a baby mixer of some sort as you can't split a signal evenly to power both headphones on one branch and a PA on the other.

My thoughts are you will want some form of controllable mixer amp between the line signal and your headphones but I am sure others can better advise.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
Last edited by John Sims at Nov 23, 2015,