Hello guys.
I am new here, and not just here but generally in the guitar world.
Name is Ariel, I'm 20 from Israel, for a long time I wanted to start guitar (as I really enjoy listening to it, for years) but didn't have the time (school, military service etc).

Today I purchased my first guitar (Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top), and I really liked it. I also purchased a 20W Blackstar amplifier.

I only started learning today, from the internet. I tried learning to play TNT by AC/DC and it actually went quite well! I manage to play it flawlessly but one thing that's annoying me...

I set up my amplifier on distortion (it's a digital one), and I play with moderate gain.
Between strumming, I can hear small sounds of "touching" the strings with my left (fretting) hand, and it produces a bit of sound that really ruins everything

So my questions are:
1. How can I stop the "in-between" accidental mini-strumming with the fretting (left) hand (this is mostly heard as the gain goes higher)?
2. How can I completely mute the strings (so they don't produce any sound) after strumming? It's essential for this instrumental to sound well.

Thanks so much and sorry if I'm a newbie
Last edited by weinberger.ariel at Nov 22, 2015,
Hey Ariel,

Firstly, never apologise for being a newbie! We're all beginners at some stage...and if not with guitar then with something else...(I'm currently learning a foreign language so I know what it's like to be a beginner).

There are 2 ways to mute the string to stop that sound you're getting between notes. One is to use a left-hand finger (or fingers) that are not in use at the time, and lean them on the strings so as to mute the strings that you don't want to hear.

The other way is the use the palm of your right hand and rest it on the strings where you are picking in order to mute them that way.

It can take a lot of experimentation and practise to work out what's right for you (I use a combination of both) but it's well worth it...because I know how annoying that sound is!

Also, just a tip...but it might be better to practise without distortion first off...so that you get used to the muting techniques...otherwise that sound you're getting might drive you to distraction..and ultimately quitting.

All the best.
Mick
Quote by EasiestGuitar
Hey Ariel,

Firstly, never apologise for being a newbie! We're all beginners at some stage...and if not with guitar then with something else...(I'm currently learning a foreign language so I know what it's like to be a beginner).

There are 2 ways to mute the string to stop that sound you're getting between notes. One is to use a left-hand finger (or fingers) that are not in use at the time, and lean them on the strings so as to mute the strings that you don't want to hear.

The other way is the use the palm of your right hand and rest it on the strings where you are picking in order to mute them that way.

It can take a lot of experimentation and practise to work out what's right for you (I use a combination of both) but it's well worth it...because I know how annoying that sound is!

Also, just a tip...but it might be better to practise without distortion first off...so that you get used to the muting techniques...otherwise that sound you're getting might drive you to distraction..and ultimately quitting.

All the best.
Mick

Hey Mick!
Thanks for the response (it was a bit late so I asked my teacher about it, haha).
I actually was told the same by my teacher, but staying on distortion made me try harder and harder and I am progressing well with muting. Thanks a lot!