So I've been watching the videos for the fingering and that's not a problem, I'm certainly able to do the solo, but I'm working my up to speed.

My main question is, why does everyone (including lee himself, even though if I'm correct is not the original guy who would do the solo, the other guy left) alternate pick the last fast sequence instead of economy picking it? It seems like it is set up for economy picking.

Is it because there's an underlying reason or is it because most people don't know how to economy pick that well? For those of you who don't know, here's a cover/tut or look it up yourself

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kKflRzhXG3E

Thanks, I'd really like to do this correctly.
Last edited by Knight Elijah at Nov 23, 2015,
Alternate picking gives a distinct staccato sound that you can't replicate with other methods of picking. Clearly the guitarist prefers that staccato sound, as do I. Simple as that.

A good video to demonstrate that staccato sound would be this:

John Petrucci recorded this alternate picking even though it is most definitely easier to sweep pick, but he preferred that staccato sound so he alternate picked. You can definitely hear that the sweep picking gives a more fluid sort of sound, while the alternate picking gives an almost mechanical more raw sort of sound.

Quote by Knight Elijah
is it because most people don't know how to economy pick that well?

Where did you get this idea that most people can't economy pick that well? Just as many people can't alternate pick well. In fact, I would argue that far more people can't alternate pick well.
Last edited by vayne92 at Nov 22, 2015,
Quote by vayne92
Alternate picking gives a distinct staccato sound that you can't replicate with other methods of picking. Clearly the guitarist prefers that staccato sound, as do I. Simple as that.

A good video to demonstrate that staccato sound would be this:

John Petrucci recorded this alternate picking even though it is most definitely easier to sweep pick, but he preferred that staccato sound so he alternate picked. You can definitely hear that the sweep picking gives a more fluid sort of sound, while the alternate picking gives an almost mechanical more raw sort of sound.

Where did you get this idea that most people can't economy pick that well? Just as many people can't alternate pick well. In fact, I would argue that far more people can't alternate pick well.

Makes sense, and I was just curious because a lot of people surprisingly don't even know what economy picking really is, and most of the people who do seem to alternate pick anyway. I for one am definitely better at economy picking than alternate picking, although I'm trying to get better.

In that I can hear a difference, you're right, although it would be nice if the amp was louder so it could mask the sound of the pick hitting the strings so you could hear exactly what comes out of the amp
Jason (the guy who wrote the solo) most probably economy picked it, since he's a huge economy and sweep picker. Listen to his solo for Polyphia's Aviator, full of both, with a good example of his economy picking at 3:03
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd6hTuN0bLg

So it's technically meant to be economy picked, but if you can't economy pick or you just prefer to alt pick it, then by all means. Lee can't ecomony pick or sweep pick well at all so he just alternate picks it, but even then, he can't play that solo consistently for the life of him.
Quote by Jimjambanx
Jason (the guy who wrote the solo) most probably economy picked it, since he's a huge economy and sweep picker. Listen to his solo for Polyphia's Aviator, full of both, with a good example of his economy picking at 3:03

So it's technically meant to be economy picked, but if you can't economy pick or you just prefer to alt pick it, then by all means. Lee can't ecomony pick or sweep pick well at all so he just alternate picks it, but even then, he can't play that solo consistently for the life of him.

Dude! Thank you for the information! Honestly I just hit a brick wall trying to alternate picking fast enough, it just feels impossible. Also holy shit I've never really looked into that band but he is ungodly!!

And yeah you're right, since its Jason's solo, Lee has taken it over since he left and if you watch ANY of the videos its apparent that Lee cant reproduce it for the life of him

Anyway thank you for the info, I maybe was correct that most people alt pick this (including lee) just because they are more comfortable alternate picking. I will try this economy picking now

Edit: a thousand times easier. I didn't try because I heard somewhere that alternate picking was the right way to play this solo and I wanted to do it the right way (and not cheese out) but really it was completely apparent this was written for economy picking as soon as I tried it. Thank you again!
Last edited by Knight Elijah at Nov 22, 2015,
I economy pick this.

If you want an economy picking workout, Yngwie and Stump are your go-to guys. Those mixed minor cram licks they do are absolutely insane.

Also, holy fuck Jason Richardson, dude is WAY too clean.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Unfortunately, I saw a clip of Jason in the studio doing this solo and he was in fact alternate picking it. Honestly I've been playing for 10 years and this guy makes me feel like an absolute beginner. What do I do, I just seem to be at a brick wall
Last edited by Knight Elijah at Nov 23, 2015,
Metronome, really.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Knight Elijah
Unfortunately, I saw a clip of Jason in the studio doing this solo and he was in fact alternate picking it. Honestly I've been playing for 10 years and this guy makes me feel like an absolute beginner. What do I do, I just seem to be at a brick wall

Jason is just not fair to the rest of humanity, the guy is just fucking insane. He played XIV (easily BOO's hardest piece) at NAMM this year perfectly, completely relaxed. The best part was, he played it again the following day, and both playthroughs were just as good as the album recording.

I'd say learn it economy picking, I'm willing to bet that Jason wrote it for that, but in the studio decided it alt pick it for whatever reason, probably the sound. But I guess if Jason can do it, anyone can, even if he is a freak of nature

Also I should probably clarify, Jason never "left", he was kicked out (not a wise move by the band).
Last edited by Jimjambanx at Nov 24, 2015,
Quote by Jimjambanx
Also I should probably clarify, Jason never "left", he was kicked out (not a wise move by the band).

My understanding was that he decided to leave because the rest of the band were abusing drugs on tour and also owed him something like $3000?
Quote by Random3
My understanding was that he decided to leave because the rest of the band were abusing drugs on tour and also owed him something like $3000?

No they apparently called him while he was on break and told him that he was acting like too much of a "dad" to the band (because of their drug abuse) and that a uhaul with all his equipment was on the way to him and that he was out of the band. L

And thus this monster was set free from BOO to explode the heads of guitarists in all different ways