Where is the best place to start when it comes to music theory if you know absolutely nothing? I've wanted to learn it for a long time but I don't know where to start.
Take a look at the music theory link in my sig. Avoid modes at all costs (guitarists really like to get ahead of themselves with that topic). Ask questions here, but know that we'll likely flood you with lots of information that may or may be entirely applicable.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Leran intervals (sounds, shapes). Initially, the 3 and b3, and the 5, and the octave. Intervals are the words on which vast majoirty of music is based. Scales and chords are built from them.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/music_theory/drastically_cut_learning_time_with_intervals.html

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/the_basics/drastically_reduce_learning_time_with_intervals_part_2.html
Last edited by jerrykramskoy at Nov 23, 2015,
Hej -

Definitely learn notes and/or intervals, and how they sound. Music is the art of sound; it demands to be heard and listened to. We can give (excessive) information about common practices (It sounds like there's a section break here; why do they go from this chord to this chord? "Oh, this happens often in music in this form - here and here are examples"), but it's easiest to learn if you find some songs that interest you and build your knowledge from things that interest you.
Glad to cross paths with you on this adventure called life
Quote by Jet Penguin
lots of flirting with the other key without confirming. JUST LIKE THEIR LOVE IN THE MOVIE OH DAMN.
Quote by Hail
you're acting like you have perfect pitch or something
1) C major scale and intervals ( 3rd, 5th etc.)
2) harmonized major scale in triads ( C, Dmin, E, Min etc.)
3) learn to name chord progressions using roman numeral system - II,V,I.
4) learn A minor scale and its intervals ( min 3rd etc.)
5) analyse a simple song in the key of C major using the roman numeral system above.
Quote by UGMKZ
Where is the best place to start when it comes to music theory if you know absolutely nothing? I've wanted to learn it for a long time but I don't know where to start.

The very first thing I would suggest is, to learn how to correctly spell out, every major scale. Notice, I didn't say "play", but to spell out. And, make sure you know the order of the musical alphabet.

I don't know if you're looking at the self taught or looking for a "program" of guided study, but, hope this helps. It can be a challenge.

Best,

Sean