I am a senior in high school who is interested in getting some solo gigs. I had gotten a couple of gigs with my band but they were school events, battle of the bands, and other shows. I want to play some solo stuff with just me, from originals to covers. I was wondering how should I go about getting gigs and was wondering if anyone had tips on getting gigs?
message the place you'd like to play and have recordings to prove you don't suck (unless you do)
PM me for newts
What kind of music do you play? I hope you either have mean fingerstyle or some easy to use backing tracks.

Also: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1689471&highlight=how+to+get+a+decent+gig

Also have recordings. Having both intense jam-like music and chillax coffee shop music would be good to match the venue. And of course backing for both of those.
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 23, 2015,
contact/class small bars/jazz/rock clubs in your area/downtown/city

ask them if you can audition for a gig or something. so like meet up with them one night while they are closing and just play a few songs for them. The best thing is to share your youtube page or soundcloud / email so they know your legit and not just some punk kid.

if they like you, they might even let you play a live show and pay you.

its all about luck and persistence. good luck and never give up.

try playing your instrument/singing out in public, do it often and people will recognize your talent that way too.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by StewieSwan
message the place you'd like to play and have recordings to prove you don't suck (unless you do)

I would be playing a lot of Iron and Wine, Wilco, Bon Iver. Kind of like a folky alternative thing going. I would be playing mostly acoustic guitar but probably electric guitar as well. Also, I'm thinking about getting a bassist and drummer to play too. Would that help my chances of attracting attention in getting a gig?
Quote by k.lainad
contact/class small bars/jazz/rock clubs in your area/downtown/city

ask them if you can audition for a gig or something. so like meet up with them one night while they are closing and just play a few songs for them. The best thing is to share your youtube page or soundcloud / email so they know your legit and not just some punk kid.

if they like you, they might even let you play a live show and pay you.

its all about luck and persistence. good luck and never give up.

try playing your instrument/singing out in public, do it often and people will recognize your talent that way too.

Thanks, I will definitely do this
Quote by Hoolian
I would be playing a lot of Iron and Wine, Wilco, Bon Iver. Kind of like a folky alternative thing going. I would be playing mostly acoustic guitar but probably electric guitar as well. Also, I'm thinking about getting a bassist and drummer to play too. Would that help my chances of attracting attention in getting a gig?

what you're playing doesn't matter all that much. I said you have to not suck.
PM me for newts
Quote by Will Lane
What kind of music do you play? I hope you either have mean fingerstyle or some easy to use backing tracks.

Also: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1689471&highlight=how+to+get+a+decent+gig

Also have recordings. Having both intense jam-like music and chillax coffee shop music would be good to match the venue. And of course backing for both of those.

Thank you for your response. I would be playing a lot of Iron and Wine, Wilco, Bon Iver. Kind of like a folky alternative thing going. I would be playing mostly acoustic guitar but probably electric guitar as well. Also, I'm thinking about getting a bassist and drummer to play too. Would that help my chances of attracting attention in getting a gig? Yeah I was thinking that also, play a venue which matches the sound.
By "gig" do you mean........
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Take the lady out for dinner first man geez
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by Hoolian
Thank you for your response. I would be playing a lot of Iron and Wine, Wilco, Bon Iver. Kind of like a folky alternative thing going. I would be playing mostly acoustic guitar but probably electric guitar as well. Also, I'm thinking about getting a bassist and drummer to play too. Would that help my chances of attracting attention in getting a gig? Yeah I was thinking that also, play a venue which matches the sound.
Having a full(er) band is a good idea for bigger venue. Having backing tracks or small accompaniment is a better idea for smaller venues.
open mic night! tons of places have open mic night - that's the best way to get some live experience, get a small following, and add live playing to your "resume".
and harry doesn't mind if he doesn't make the scene