Long story short I've been playing for 10 years, a few years ago got really into sweeping and then economy picking. I'm very good at both.

I can't for the life of me alternate pick. I can tremolo fine, but changing strings with alternate picking is the most infuriating thing in the world.

Now keep in mind this is for speed picking, I can do it fine slow. But here's my main 2 problems I need help on.

1) I'm so used to economy picking it's hard for me to stop when it would be so much easier to just keep the pick moving forward to hit the next note as opposed to lifting it up, moving it over the next string, then hitting it in the reverse direction. It's just seems completely silly and stupid to me. But when I try to learn something with alternate picking, it's very hard to avoid accidentally economy picking. I understand this is something that will most likely go away with sufficient practice so I'm not TOO concerned.

2) This is the one I'm really concerned about:

I can alternate pick slow, and I can alternate pick fast, I CANNOT alternate pick at medium speeds. This is infuriating for me. No matter how I try to learn something slow and then work my way up to speed, I hit a wall and it's impossible for me to get faster. I make sure as Michael Angelo Batio says that I am locking my thumb and finger muscles (locking as in keeping them from moving) during alternate picking. Perhaps it's because my technique while doing it slow is incorrect so when I try to increase speed it doesn't work? But I've tried to see what I'm doing when I alternate pick fast and carry that over to when I do it slow. Still nothing.

I'm trying to learn a really hard solo and I have all of it but the end which is super fast alternate picking and I'm just super frustrated. I need help
Last edited by Knight Elijah at Nov 23, 2015,
I'm in a similar situation as you, and I would highly recommend checking out some Paul Gilbert lessons- if you haven't already.
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
Quote by JimDawson
I'm in a similar situation as you, and I would highly recommend checking out some Paul Gilbert lessons- if you haven't already.

This. His "Intense Rock' video is available in full (last time I checked) on Youtube and it has some great alternate picking exercises, although they can put you into a sort of fixedness in the shapes he uses.
Paul Gilbert is a good start! Check out the lessons. Look at the way you hold the plectrum again. Maybe do some exercises to strengthen your grip. Maybe learn to relax a little bit but find the balance between sweep picking and just alternate picking. Oh and the good old metronome do help even though you say that you keep hitting a wall. Practice and more practice is all i can say. If you still can't get past it then I suggest you see somebody about some lessons.
Just curious, why don't you just play the part using economy picking?
"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."-Abraham Lincoln
Quote by Saintp83
Just curious, why don't you just play the part using economy picking?

Because he wants to add alternate picking to his toolbox.
Quote by Facecut
Because he wants to add alternate picking to his toolbox.

It also sounds different.
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
I am a staunch believer than economy picking is superior but if you really want to focus on alternate picking paul gilbert does a great job and this video also helps I find

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TnddE2k598

skip to 2:35 for short version
Last edited by Blicer at Nov 26, 2015,
Yeah I personally think economy picking is superior too, and yeah it sounds just a bit different, but not enough for most people to even notice, let alone matter.

Truth is though, you can get really good both ways. I was just wondering because if you already have economy picking in your arsenal, then I just figure might as well stick with it.
"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."-Abraham Lincoln
Quote by Saintp83
Yeah I personally think economy picking is superior too, and yeah it sounds just a bit different, but not enough for most people to even notice, let alone matter.

Truth is though, you can get really good both ways. I was just wondering because if you already have economy picking in your arsenal, then I just figure might as well stick with it.

Yeah, I personally also believe economy picking makes way more sense. But even though this particular solo seems to be made for economy, the video of him tracking it shows him using alternate (lol) because the guy is just a monster.

I guess I'm slowly getting better, it's just frustrating and I keep bumping into strings I don't want to hit. The hardest part is changing to a thinner string on an upstroke. The Paul Gilbert stuff has helped and I have been watching his stuff for a while, but really I just feel like I'm at a wall and wondering if there are any little tricks that can make me say "oh duh, how did I not think about that"

Oh yeah, also, I have watched the entire cracking the code series, and in the end the guy really just finds a bunch of ways to avoid pure alternate picking. Which is fine but the whole point of me learning this is so I can learn how to do it in a different way then I usually do (economy AKA avoiding pure alternate picking)
Last edited by Knight Elijah at Nov 28, 2015,
You got me curious, care to share the video? (I keep thinking its wintersun for some reason lol)
your problem is that you're expecting your alternate picking (which is just a new technique you've, just now started working on) to reach the level of skill that your economy picking is currently at. That's definitely not going to happen overnight especially since you're so used to straight economy picking.

Just be patience you are implementing a new technique into your muscle memory. It's going to take some time for your brain to adjust to it fully. The funny thing is that your left hand is already used to being synchronized with your right hand while pure economy picking.

So it's going to take time for your left hand to get into perfect synchroniziation with your right hands new way of picking.

(which is alternate picking)This happened to me a while back when I was learning hybrid picking, but the great thing is its easier to speed up since your left hand technique is already there; so it's just the need to focus on your picking hand to make sure everything is synchronized perfectly..

I'm pretty sure there's some alternate picking exercises out there that will help you to really refine the technique.. The more you frustrate yourself the less progress you'll make so be patient. If you want me to shorten the post up for you, and give you a brief summarization; then I'll get straight to the point.

Your hands are out of synchroniziation pretty much. Another thing I'd like to add I'm 100% sure that your alternate picking Is sloppy while playing fast, and very inconsistent so slow down. I'll repeat myself once again make sure that your hands are fully synchronized..
Last edited by Black_devils at Nov 29, 2015,