background:
bla bla bla new prime minister is young, hip and "with it"

TL; DR:
Canada is accepting 25000 refugees from war torn Syria BUT is only accepting whole families and women, NO unmarried male adults due to security concerns.

Part of me has been trying to find a way to label this as sexist but the part of me that finds this to make perfect sense is winning rapidly.

What do you plebes think?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-refugee-plan-women-children-families-1.3330185

EDIT: Justin is so dreamy! *swoons*
Trudeau smokes pot and thinks its funny to throw himself down a stairwell as a party trick.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
smart plan

but what are these women with children going to do once they move? how will they support themselves given the fact that most of them probably don't have many work-skills?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Trudeau smokes pot and thinks its funny to throw himself down a stairwell as a party trick.

I also think it's funny to see trudeau fall down stairs. Not sure how it's related to the refugees though
Quote by flexiblemile
I also think it's funny to see trudeau fall down stairs. Not sure how it's related to the refugees though

Well you didnt take umbridge to the pot so Im guessing thats related then?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by k.lainad
smart plan

but what are these women with children going to do once they move? how will they support themselves given the fact that most of them probably don't have many work-skills?

Hopefully the "full family" clause means that single mother families won't be too big of an issue because they'd be coming with their husbands provided they aren't already dead yet.

It's only unmarried men who will have a tough time.
Quote by StewieSwan
It's sexist as hell and ridiculous

In that case, how would a country like canada (and many others) manage to bring in as many refugees as possible while still maximising safety concerns?

I'm not saying I disagree with you, I'm just curious about your reasoning
It is sexist but likely effective. Not ideal but it's a crude workaround for the greater good. If it allows us to take in 15,000 more refugees than our UN mandate then it's hard to get too worked up about.
Wasn't the terrorist who blew themselves up and killed a police dog a woman?
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr

No. She was next to the suicide bomber so it was erroneously reported as her IIRC.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by ErikLensherr

yes. To be more precise, she was in the room when the police raided the appartment and she blew herself up. It's not clear wether or not she was playing on kamikaziing herself at a later date, though.

EDIT:

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
No. She was next to the suicide bomber so it was erroneously reported as her IIRC.

uh maybe, I'll go check it out right away
Quote by flexiblemile
yes. To be more precise, she was in the room when the police raided the appartment and she blew herself up. It's not clear wether or not she was playing on kamikaziing herself at a later date, though.

Are you sure about that.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by flexiblemile
In that case, how would a country like canada (and many others) manage to bring in as many refugees as possible while still maximising safety concerns?

It's a negligible concern. AFAIK only one of the attackers in Paris came in with refugees. One out of how many tens of thousands does not necessitate putting such a ridiculous filter in place.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
It's a negligible concern. AFAIK only one of the attackers in Paris came in with refugees. One out of how many tens of thousands does not necessitate putting such a ridiculous filter in place.

It's debated whether he did at all or not, what with the whole duplicate passport thing.
Quote by StewieSwan

I thought it was 2 and they went through Greece?

Not that it changes your point.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Not sure whether this is a permanent thing or just to hit this year's target. The UN wanted Canada to take in 10,000 this year and so far we are falling short of that target. New government wants to hit 25,000 by year's end - just a little more than a month to go. This could simply be a policy to streamline the process and hit the more ambitious target.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Are you sure about that.

hum yeah the two or three articles I found sortof contradict each other.

Well one thing for sure, she wasn't there by mistake and wether or not she pushed the button, her presence is a tacit approval of said actions.
Quote by Godsmack_IV
Not sure whether this is a permanent thing or just to hit this year's target. The UN wanted Canada to take in 10,000 this year and so far we are falling short of that target. New government wants to hit 25,000 by year's end - just a little more than a month to go. This could simply be a policy to streamline the process and hit the more ambitious target.

Well I imagine that putting such a system in place is going to be a heavy toll on logistics and ressources. It's pretty realistic that they're falling behind this early.

I'm sure it'll all even out soon enough
Terrorists can be women too

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by flexiblemile
hum yeah the two or three articles I found sortof contradict each other.

Well one thing for sure, she wasn't there by mistake and wether or not she pushed the button, her presence is a tacit approval of said actions.

She wasnt there by mistake for sure. I dont disagree with that.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by EndTheRapture51

this is true but so far, 95% of terrorists were men. Not only that but women are often underprivileged (at best) in those countries.

So while it is true that this measure will likely not be 100% efficient and is likely punishing many innocent men by preventing them entry, doesn't this method maximize the good done here?

I mean if I have to choose to leave a man to live in syria or a woman, I will choose the man because he will have a much easier time getting by than a woman.
Seems pretty damn sexist to me, and also kinda ignorant. If you read interviews of ISIS defectors, a lot of people join because ISIS provides benefits, housing, food, money, etc. for both their fighters and their families. In other words, a not-insignificant number of ISIS fighters have families. It's not a stretch to think that they'd send entire families over as a cover for one operative.

This isn't even getting into the idea of child soldiers(Hell, realistically speaking, you don't even need the kid to be aware what they're doing. Just give the kid a bomb, and tell them to press the shiny red button once they reach the immigration booth. Kids are kids, they'll trust the adult and do it), or of fake families made for the sole purpose of smuggling an operative who doesn't have a family in, or of female terrorists(Yeah ISIS is absurdly sexist against women, but considering I recall reading that they have women as slaves, it's not an unreasonable assumption that they'd be okay with using a female slave as "an extension of her master's own will and actions", and therefore can justify it as her actions as a terrorist are actually her owner's). The number of issues with this that even a casual observer could point out is ridiculous.

"We're letting all refugees except for single adult men in" is about as naive a strategy for filtering refugees as I can think of. You might as well just let them all in, because this ain't gonna stop shit, and all you're doing is turning away the single adult men who weren't terrorists and would have fled Syria but now have no choice but to either die or join ISIS and become terrorists.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Nov 23, 2015,
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Now you finally have a real case of discrimination against men, and you only make a 5 word post. I am dissappoint.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
It may be more of a susceptibility to radicalization sort of thing. I think it's already been established that coming into Canada posing as a refugee is harder for terrorists to do than by going an alternate route given that those screening refugees are already on high alert for this sort of thing. Then again, it could just be political cover for their criticized plan of bringing in so many refugees in such a short amount of time.
Quote by flexiblemile

and how does their current proposition make things safe? By accepting what they are currently doing you essentially are stating. That women and children are unable to be terrorists or bad people. Not to mention it essentially says that women are weak and unable to take care of themselves. It also points toward the stigma that all arab men are bad people.

The fact is anyone can be a terrorist just like anyone can be a murderer, you see it all the time where kids kill another kid, a wife kills her husband, and even more. People are people sex has nothing to do with the capability of ones mind.
Not that smart.

Like there's never been (male) terrorists with families
My God, it's full of stars!
I don't think labelling it as "sexist" is helpful, but I also don't think it's a particularly good idea or meaningful change in terms of security. Favouring women with children and families is pretty standard shit for refugees.

Real talk though, why would a terrorist ever use the refugee system to get into the country? It's not like they're being smuggled in. They're going through both the UNHCR's vetting program, sitting in a refugee camp in Jordan or wherever in the meantime, as well as our own once they're approved by the UN. I'm sure there are far easier ways to get into the country.

“We question them about past or current military activities or affiliations, including their future plans. We have a number of biometric security and anti-fraud measures including iris scanning,” said a UNHCR spokesperson. The registration data is entered into an interconnected global system.
The UNHCR then triages the refugees, and selects a very small number (about 1 per cent) who would make good candidates for resettlement by countries such as Canada. Women with children, unaccompanied minors, the elderly, sick and vulnerable are given priority. Young, single men who may have been combatants, or cannot account for missing identity documents, do not make the cut, said Peter Showler, the former head of Canada’s Immigration and Refugee Board, who has worked as a consultant for the UNHCR.
Finally, Canadian visa officers based in the Middle East interview the refugees again to ensure their stories have no discrepancies. Their names are run through various databases, including the CBSA, CSIS and RCMP.

Refugees are a security risk but so is letting anyone into the country at all.
Last edited by jazz_rock_feel at Nov 23, 2015,
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Real talk though, why would a terrorist ever use the refugee system to get into the country?

I think people get this idea because of things like the attacks in Paris. Wasn't one (or more) of the assailants disguised as a refugee?
Free Ali
Quote by chrismendiola
I think people get this idea because of things like the attacks in Paris. Wasn't one (or more) of the assailants disguised as a refugee?

Possibly, I don't really know. And to be fair it's a different and far more complicated situation in Europe where there are masses of migrants that are crossing borders without necessarily going through the full screening process, or at least not until they're already in Europe. I think people think that refugees in the US/Canada are going to be in the same situation but it's pretty different. Because, you know, oceans.
Pretty pathetic considering his pandering to the feminists with the cabinet selection. The genders aren't all that equal, now are they?

I would rather we just do the smart thing and take in people that can actually work and be successful, not take in grandma and grandpa just because they're a part of the family. Grandpa and grandma can come later on when their relatives have made enough money to sponsor them.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Possibly, I don't really know. And to be fair it's a different and far more complicated situation in Europe where there are masses of migrants that are crossing borders without necessarily going through the full screening process, or at least not until they're already in Europe. I think people think that refugees in the US/Canada are going to be in the same situation but it's pretty different. Because, you know, oceans.

That, the US has got several bureaucracies that screen refugees for years before they can enter.
Free Ali
Quote by k.lainad
smart plan

Isn't prostitution legal in Canada?