Hello,
I'm having a little trouble with my sight reading. I play guitar and sing and I need to learn (and also want to) sight read musical notation. Most sheet music seems to be for the piano and on the guitar it seems rather pointless to me, very few people play guitar why reading off of a sheet of paper as far as I know. So I was thinking about using a keyboard because the notes are laid out so well there, it makes the whole thing way easier I believe.
Do you have any other ideas/tips for me to solve this problem?
Thanks in advance
I'll think more in-depth about this, but you sing too... The most powerful way to learn sung melodies is by sight-reading.
Neither. The exam asks for musical dictation. They dictate a melody, I have to write it down. And I don't know where to start.
When is this exam?

Is this for placement or admissions? A school would be pretty hardcore to have ear training prerequisites for freshmen. If it's just for placement, don't sweat it. The worst you can do is get placed in the first year course with nearly everyone else. To my knowledge, ear training is not widely taught in high school and colleges really don't expect you have much ability prior to admission.

I'd focus on your audition pieces foremost. Audition performance will determine whether or not you get accepted to a music program, and any skills exams will only be for placement. It doesn't do you much good to have good ears but not enough guitar skill to get into the music school in the first place.
Last edited by cdgraves at Nov 25, 2015,
This exam is in summer 2016.

I'll have to ask someone who has done it how difficult it is. It's not a music school, it's a musical engineering school.
Quote by Jayerrr
Hello,
I'm having a little trouble with my sight reading. I play guitar and sing and I need to learn (and also want to) sight read musical notation. Most sheet music seems to be for the piano and on the guitar it seems rather pointless to me, very few people play guitar why reading off of a sheet of paper as far as I know. So I was thinking about using a keyboard because the notes are laid out so well there, it makes the whole thing way easier I believe.
Do you have any other ideas/tips for me to solve this problem?
Thanks in advance

You might want to look into some classical guitar sheet music. You won't be disappointed with the amount of music available for intense study.