Hey! I'm new to the world of bigger amps and need some help. I have a speaker cabinet for my guitar with eight 50 watt speakers and I need an amp head, what should I look for in terms of watts?

Thanks -Tom
Okay. Not much information to work with.

What kind of cab? What size speakers? Ohm rating of the cab? What brand/model speakers? What genre of music do you like to play? Do you want a single channel or multiple channel amp? Tube amp or Digital Modeling? Do you gig or just a bedroom warrior?

Your best bet is 50w to 100w tube amp for a cab that size.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Thanks for the response! It's a Traynor 8x10 with Jenson electric lightnings and with an ohm rating of 4 ohms. I like to play jazz but I also like to play alternative rock and I'm playing gigs. I also wouldn't mind a tube amp with a single channel.
Next question then is what is your budget?

Something like a Bassman Silverface or a Marshall JTM-45 would be flexible enough to cover your bases. But, you have plenty of other options.

Honestly though, it sounds to me like you have a Bass Amp cab. Not sure if that will be the best cab for you to work with though. Most modern guitar cabs are rated at 16 ohm and 8 ohm. Certain amps don't even have a 4 ohm option. In fact, of all the amps I own, only one has an output for 4 ohms. You'd be better off with a 2x12 combo amp or 4x12 head and cab set up, both of which would be easier to move around than that refrigerator 8x10 cab.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by streak256
Thanks for the response! It's a Traynor 8x10 with Jenson electric lightnings and with an ohm rating of 4 ohms. I like to play jazz but I also like to play alternative rock and I'm playing gigs. I also wouldn't mind a tube amp with a single channel.

Sounds like you have a Bass cab, specially with the 4 ohm rating.
8x10 is a classic configuration for bass cabs, definitely overkill for guitar. I´d sell the cab to a happy bassist. There´s a reason most guitarists play 2x12 or 4x12 cabs, just saying.

As for a single channel tube amp. where are you situated? A shop near here (Germany) is selling off Hughes & Kettner Puretone heads for a ridiculous price. I´d get one if I didn´t already have more amps than I´ll ever need.