So I have a question about an amp I used to own
The Peavey Vypyr VIP is one of the best feeling modelling amps I've ever heard, however I had several issues with it when I had one.

The first one i got sounded muddied and nothing like the floor model, and it sounded terrible. I traded it in, replaced it and got a new one and I heard a loud popping noise once and the master volume had a much less dramatic effect after that and all the amps sounded different. When I compared it to the floor model it sounded exactly the same but the volume issue wasn't fixed, so I Traded it in stopped wasting my time. So I eventually bought one... Again and it sounded amazing. I plugged in my pedal, and after that, the sound deteriorated. Turns out, using a pedal, even if below the level of a normal guitar, it somehow fries the pre-amp... So I'm now just plugging my Line 6 into a loud speaker. Now that I'm in a band, a small more portable set-up would be best for jam sessions, and as much as I love that amps sound, it sucks... Unless I'm using it wrong.

Have any of you had this problem?
Quote by Blink182Bouncer
So I have a question about an amp I used to own
The Peavey Vypyr VIP is one of the best feeling modelling amps I've ever heard, however I had several issues with it when I had one.

The first one i got sounded muddied and nothing like the floor model, and it sounded terrible. I traded it in, replaced it and got a new one and I heard a loud popping noise once and the master volume had a much less dramatic effect after that and all the amps sounded different. When I compared it to the floor model it sounded exactly the same but the volume issue wasn't fixed, so I Traded it in stopped wasting my time. So I eventually bought one... Again and it sounded amazing. I plugged in my pedal, and after that, the sound deteriorated. Turns out, using a pedal, even if below the level of a normal guitar, it somehow fries the pre-amp... So I'm now just plugging my Line 6 into a loud speaker. Now that I'm in a band, a small more portable set-up would be best for jam sessions, and as much as I love that amps sound, it sucks... Unless I'm using it wrong.

Have any of you had this problem?
On the first occasion, did you use one of the store's guitars to test then when you got home with your own model you used your own guitar? That could be the issue. Or cables. Or possibly the store model had better user presets. Or bad luck.

The second occasion sounds like something got plugged into where it should not be and something blew. Or bad luck.

The third occasion does not sound right at all. A pedal in the input of the amp would probably just make it sound bad, not fry it all together. Unless you used a power-amp pedal or something of the sort. I presumed you tried taking the pedal out the chain and trying it again. Could also be bad luck.
Quote by Will Lane
On the first occasion, did you use one of the store's guitars to test then when you got home with your own model you used your own guitar? That could be the issue. Or cables. Or possibly the store model had better user presets. Or bad luck.

The second occasion sounds like something got plugged into where it should not be and something blew. Or bad luck.

The third occasion does not sound right at all. A pedal in the input of the amp would probably just make it sound bad, not fry it all together. Unless you used a power-amp pedal or something of the sort. I presumed you tried taking the pedal out the chain and trying it again. Could also be bad luck.

On the first occasion I brought my guitar from home to test it at the store so that couldn't be the issue. On the second occasion I had plugged a random cable in, because the aux input alone, where I plugged in the pedal, wouldn't make sound unless the front input was used. Static must've came in and blew it up.

The third occasion. I just plugged in my pedal, then took the pedal out played straight through the amp, and everything sound worse after the pedal was used, as opposed to before. Plugged the pedal in again, rinse repeat, it sounded even worse. Has anyone else experienced this?
mine isn't a vip, its a 120 tube but I run pedals into it when it's part of my full rig. Modelling digital pedals in fact and it sounds great. No issues at all. Maybe just a bad batch the shop had in.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
Quote by Blink182Bouncer
On the first occasion I brought my guitar from home to test it at the store so that couldn't be the issue. On the second occasion I had plugged a random cable in, because the aux input alone, where I plugged in the pedal, wouldn't make sound unless the front input was used. Static must've came in and blew it up.

The third occasion. I just plugged in my pedal, then took the pedal out played straight through the amp, and everything sound worse after the pedal was used, as opposed to before. Plugged the pedal in again, rinse repeat, it sounded even worse. Has anyone else experienced this?
Why are you putting a pedal into the aux input? That is meant for 1/8 outputs from like an ipod or computer out, to play along with a backing track. I wouldn't think plugging your guitar and pedal into and aux input would blow up the amp but it is possible. You put guitars and pedals in just the input of the amp, where it says "guitar input" and that is it. Did you try the guitar input instead of the aux input after the amp was "fried"?

Also, what pedal was it?
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 24, 2015,
Quote by Will Lane
Why are you putting a pedal into the aux input? That is meant for 1/8 outputs from like an ipod or computer out, to play along with a backing track. I wouldn't think plugging your guitar and pedal into and aux input would blow up the amp but it is possible. You put guitars and pedals in just the input of the amp, where it says "guitar input" and that is it. Did you try the guitar input instead of the aux input after the amp was "fried"?

Also, what pedal was it?

I went into the Aux input to get the flattest eq possible
Static electricity from the other cable (that wasn't plugged in to anything) blew the amp...

Anyways I only still want this amp cause it sounds amazing, and a need a more portable rig for small jam sessions and whatnot
What?

I use the aux input on my older Vypyr 30 without anything plugged into the guitar input and it works fine - acts like a powered speaker.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by Blink182Bouncer
I went into the Aux input to get the flattest eq possible
If you want your guitar to sound like a guitar and if you want to not fry the aux input section of the amp, you'll use the guitar input.
Quote by Blink182Bouncer
Static electricity from the other cable (that wasn't plugged in to anything) blew the amp...
I highly doubt that.
Yeah.... Don't play guitar through the aux. in.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Will Lane
If you want your guitar to sound like a guitar and if you want to not fry the aux input section of the amp, you'll use the guitar input.
I highly doubt that.

+311
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Will Lane
I highly doubt that.

I used the guitar input the third time I had the amp. The dude at GC told me using the aux input was a stupid idea.
About the static. I was just hypothesizing (Is that a real word?). It's the only logical explaination to me.

It was an AMPLIFi Fx100 (Essentially a Pod X3 that also acts as a Bluetooth audio send)

I also forgot to say, I never used the amp itself the second time I bought it until I heard the loud popping, weeks later.

Quote by metalmingee
What?

I use the aux input on my older Vypyr 30 without anything plugged into the guitar input and it works fine - acts like a powered speaker.

This is the Vypyr VIP I'm using

All I'm asking now is if it's worth buying this amp again, or if anyone can confirm I will have this problem by buying another one. I'd love to see someone posting their results of testing this.
Last edited by Blink182Bouncer at Nov 25, 2015,
Okay. If you are going to try again with the VYPYR series just try the series without the VIP in the name. The 15w is just $99 USD, compared to the VIP 3 at $299. https://www.google.com/search?q=peavey+vypyr&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=peavey+vypyr&safe=active&tbm=shop&spd=7520561912890882328

Also if you're running the multi-effects unit along with the amp's modeling you're bound to get some awful tones. Just go straight in the amp and do all your modeling there. Use the multi-effects for a direct out to PA without the amp ever being in the signal chain.
Quote by Blink182Bouncer
All I'm asking now is if it's worth buying this amp again, or if anyone can confirm I will have this problem by buying another one. I'd love to see someone posting their results of testing this.
If you plug straight from your guitar straight into the amp's input, you should be fine. Don't run anything else through it. And again you might want the older series to save some money.

You do already have a modeler unit (the Amplifire) so it would be a matter of which unit (the VYPYR amp or the Amplifire) is better for you and for whatever you are using it for.
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 25, 2015,