Hi all!

I'm a brand-new user here, so I'd like to ask a couple questions regarding my purchase of some new guitar gear.

I started playing just over two months ago, teaching myself through Rocksmith 2014. Unlike every other instrument I've ever tried, I found that I was okay at guitar, quickly progressed to playing exclusively by tabs, and have gotten pretty decent.

Now that I've gotten better, I'm in the market for some new gear. Currently, I rock an early-2000s Fender Squier Bullet and a pretty crappy Starcaster 15G amp. I'd love to have some advice from the experts on here on what to buy. Here are my stats:

-Budget of about $500
-I'd like to get both a new amp and guitar, but priority is on the amp. It's junk, while the axe is just really worn out (janky strings and hardware)
-I play mostly punk-rock and alternative music (i.e. Blink-182, Green Day, Sum 41), so good distortion is a must!
-Amp should be good quality and LOUD (I'm tired of this practice amp nonsense )
-No brand loyalty

As a final request, if you've got the time, check out my 'All The Small Things' cover and let me know what I'm doing right and wrong. Remember, I'm still a n00b

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg5Z-PK7bYs

Thank you so much for your time!

-Noah
Last edited by TheAviator1997 at Nov 23, 2015,
$500 is a stretch if your looking to get all new gear but it can be done.

Youre still learning so I would start with a modeling amp. I prefer the Vox Valvetronics. But the peavey Vipers are good as well. Depending on what you prefer your looking about $140-175$ (if you're in the US). I'm a fan of modelers cause they give you a ton of versatility and usually provide you with the basic effects that you can play around with.

For guitar I would personally suggest a VM or CV squire. They make many models around the $300-350 point so you should be able to find something up your alley for sure and they are well built guitars for a beginner/hobbiest.

It would be a HUGE upgrade from what you got and you will instantly hear a big difference in your sound without breaking the bank
Do some research on where you want to be in a year as far learning and retaining the knowledge goes. Cheaper (depending on your haggling skills) ways but, little risky is pawn shops. What music are you thinking of getting into and learning that style AFTER you learn a good foundation of chords, theory, etc. blah, blah, blah.?

like IdiotsRule stated Vipers are always a fair choice. As for a G'tar, there are so many types with different guts to look at and try before you buy (always). What feels good in your hands (neck, frets, etc.). Good luck!
If it were up to me I would get a Boss Micro BR 80. You can get those for 250$ they are a headphone amp recording studio drum machine. The tones you can get out of it are excellent. If you have a local music store look at used gear used Ibanez, Schecter go for a fraction of what a new one does. used Fenders and Gibsons go for more but look at what they have. The recordings in my sig were all done with the Boss Micro BR 80.
With $500 you can get a nice amp and guitar, but you will have to buy used.

Look for a decent modeler like a used Peavey vypyr tube 60 these have a tube poweramp and they sound quite good. if you like the strat, look at a used Squier Vintage Modified strat or if you want a change a used Epiphone LP standard.

here are some options, and shipping is quite cheap also.

peavey vypyr tube 60 1x12 for $199
www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Peavey/Vypyr-Tube-1X12-60W-Guitar-Combo-Amp-111222754.gc

and here is a LP standard for $299
www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Epiphone/Les-Paul-Standard-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-111538140.gc

here is a squire VM strat (which are nice guitars) with what looks like a Seymour Duncan in the bridge and it is only $185 that will leave you money left over
www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Squier/Vintage-Modified-Stratocaster-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-111608446.gc
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'd put about $400 into a decent used amp and hold onto the guitar for awhile. put some fresh strings on there and it'll be fine. Otherwise, I feel that in a short time you will again be wanting to upgrade both the guitar and amp. If you spend just a little more on the amp, you will be happy for a much longer time and can upgrade the guitar later.

Marshall DSL
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Egnater
VHT Special
If you live near a Guitar Center, they have some good stuff going between Friday and Sunday. The Black Friday flyer was sent to my house and I don't have it with me. I'm with you, as far as not wanting to buy used. I remember they had some decent Ibanez guitars for about $200. I don't recall what they had with amps. Create an account on their site and they'll probably email you the flyer.
Thanks for all of the awesome advice guys!

Based on your feedback, I've narrowed my choices down to these. What combo do you think would best complement one another?

Guitar:
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Epiphone/Les-Paul-Standard-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-111538140.gc)

- Epiphone Les Paul 10 (Why is this so cheap? http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Epiphone/Les-Paul-100-Bolt-On-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-111615310.gc)

-Squier Vintage Modified Stratocaster HSS

Amp:
-Vox Valvetronix VT20+

- Peavey Vypyr Tube 1X12 60W (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Peavey/Vypyr-Tube-1X12-60W-Guitar-Combo-Amp-111222754.gc)

-Fender Mustang II
The peavey Vypyr is a much better amp than the Vox, by a long shot. The Vypyr 60 is a completely gig worthy amp. That would be my choice in your budget.

The Vox VT20 is a small practice amp that has a small speaker. small speakers are not that good for Guitar (well the cheap ones are not).

Go with the LP standard, the LP100 is cheap because it is a budget LP shape guitar with a Bolton neck. The LP standard is much better quality and build.

The Squier is a decent guitar and they are pretty cheap used, but I'd have to say the LP standard is the better guitar.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
For $500
Buy a Line 6 Spider IV and swap the pickups would be the best option imo.
Line 6 Spider IV is still a practice amp but they have a fairly good effects on them, and the distortion sounds pretty good.
Since you're a Blink fan you can buy Seymour Duncan SH-8 which is DeLonge's pickups it cost around $150 for 1 set(2 pickups) and around $80 for one pickup
And a Line 6 75 Watt will go around $100(used) and $300(new)
and there's a bit bigger one(120 watt) which costs around $400(new)
You can use the spare money to buy some bridge or tuners that will improve the guitar big time.

Good luck
Last edited by fabianaryo at Nov 24, 2015,
For an amp how about a Used Peavey ValveKing 112 (I got one for $130) with an overdrive and/or fuzz pedal.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
If you're used to a Strat why change? This one looks like a good value @250 new. 9.5 inch radius too.
Squire Strat

I don't think you need 60W but this new 40W is a good deal at 200 New
Vypyr

or this modeller for 200 as well.

Mustang

Total of 450 and Sweetwater is a good vendor to deal with
Moving on.....
Quote by fabianaryo
For $500
Line 6 Spider IV is still a practice amp but they have a fairly good effects on them, and the distortion sounds pretty good.
Since you're a Blink fan you can buy Seymour Duncan SH-8 which is DeLonge's pickups it cost around $150 for 1 set(2 pickups) and around $80 for one pickup
You can use the spare money to buy some bridge or tuners that will improve the guitar big time.

Good luck

That is horrible advise
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by KenG
1.If you're used to a Strat why change? This one looks like a good value @250 new. 9.5 inch radius too.
Squire Strat

2. I don't think you need 60W but this new 40W is a good deal at 200 New
Vypyr

or this modeller for 200 as well.

3. Mustang

Total of 450 and Sweetwater is a good vendor to deal with

1. why not get something different, his current guitar works and is a strat so a LP would be nice variety

2. 60w or 40w both are still loud, but the vypyr tube 60 sounds better

3. see answer #2
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
1. why not get something different, his current guitar works and is a strat so a LP would be nice variety

2. 60w or 40w both are still loud, but the vypyr tube 60 sounds better

3. see answer #2

If his current Squire came from a starter pack which I think he alluded to, it would be the $100 model. The VM model would be a real step up from that. I think the OP also mentioned the Strat was in poor shape (not surprising the cheapest models aren't built to last).

You actually can't get the old VYPYR models anymore new, now it's the VYPYR 1 (20W), 2 (40W) & 3 (100W) and the 3 new is $300 which would put him over budget.

I wouldn't buy one of these modellers used as they aren't that expensive new, they could've been abused by their previous owners and with new you'd at least have a warranty.
Moving on.....
Quote by fabianaryo
For $500

Good luck

I seriously hope you're trolling...
Quote by fabianaryo
For $500

Good luck

Line 6 Spiders are disgusting amps. This whole post is full of bad advice, what is the point in getting those pickups when he can get a whole amp for the price of a set? Not even SD pickups can make a Spider sound good.

Horrible, horrible advice.

OP, get a Vypyr and an Epiphone Les Paul and restring your strat, perhaps learn how to do things like set up and a few simple mods on it to turn it into a usable guitar.

I have a Squire Strat which has aftermarket parts installed everywhere, the only original parts are the neck and body, all hardware, electronics and pickups are new. It was a fun little project and I got a much more thorough understanding of the instrument by doing this, and for £200 on parts I turned a £30 piece of shit into a solid and great sounding axe.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
Seriously Line 6 is not all that bad, Line 6 bashing is so 2007..., It's not like he's going to play in a festival or something, Line 6 is a fairly decent amp.
And I still think that he should buy a pickup instead of a new LP, why buy a humbucker guitar when the guitar is already equipped with humbucker, and he only needs one pickup so he won't waste that much money, he will still have a couple hundred bucks to save up and buy an LP or MIM HSS Strat if he wants to.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/line_6/spider_iv_75

http://noisecreep.com/best-budget-guitar-amps/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxKIkf8ORCI(Well It's a Gibson, but still)

Well the Vypyr is also a good option, but It's up to you.
Last edited by fabianaryo at Nov 25, 2015,
Quote by fabianaryo
Seriously Line 6 is not all that bad, Line 6 bashing is so 2007..., It's not like he's going to play in a festival or something, Line 6 is a fairly decent amp.
And I still think that he should buy a pickup instead of a new LP, why buy a humbucker guitar when the guitar is already equipped with humbucker, and he only needs one pickup so he won't waste that much money, he will still have a couple hundred bucks to save up and buy an LP or MIM HSS Strat if he wants to.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/line_6/spider_iv_75

http://noisecreep.com/best-budget-guitar-amps/

(Well It's a Gibson, but still)

Well the Vypyr is also a good option, but It's up to you.

I like Fluff's videos and watch his channel regularly, but common, the Line 6 only sounds decent in there because it is in a full mix, properly EQ'd, and very good studio magic applied overall. And it still doesn't sounds as good as the other competitor modelling amps in the same price range.

He also took 6 hours to make it sound like that... plus you would need a quality mic and preamp to make a decent recording out of that thing. With all the time and money spent to make a Line 6 Spider IV sound like that, you could buy a good tube amp and call it a day.

Pickups don't really matter if using cheap modelling amps. Not worth a pickup upgrade in that situation imho.
Last edited by DanyFS at Nov 26, 2015,
line 6 spiders just blow.

i would listen to rob and get a vypyr tube60 and either a epiphone std. or a VM strat.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/