So first off, I'm a guitar player helping my bass player put together a half stack. I've got a few ideas of what might seem like a good setup, but right now I believe the best bang for the buck that is going to be powerful enough for us is getting a peavey tour 700 series (rated at putting out 700 watts into a 4 ohm cab and 500 watts into an 8 ohm cab, directly read from user manual) and I am not entirely sure how to match this to a proper cab. from my understanding there seem to be 3 different ratings for cabs? RMS, Peak, and Program watts. peak seems totally unimportant i believe, but i dont know the difference between RMS and Program. I found a peavey headliner 410 rated at 800 watts program at 8 ohms, and I found an Ampeg PR-410HLF Pro Series which is rated for 600 watts RMS and 1200 program and is 4 ohms. from what I believe, the ampeg is a better match? I'm not sure! both are gonna be within 50 dollars of eachother, with the ampeg i found used, and only might be able to get a new headliner. what do you guys think? or should i scrap all of this and go with something else with a roughly 500 dollar budget in mind? (found a peavey tour 700 for 200 dollars on ebay) Thanks!
Peavey 6505+ head
Mesa 4x12 Rectifier Cab
Line 6 Spider III 30 Watt (practice amp)
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR
Boss NS-2 noise suppressor
MXR 10 Band EQ KFK
Boss DD-7 Delay
since a lot of companies cheat when they report watts, i try not to expect much accuracy in that department. that being said, peak is useless info to me since i don't need to judge power output by what an amp or cab can handle for a short burst.

i'm not a peavey fan - i don't usually care for their voicing - but i do like the layout of the tour 700. that being said, no matter what specs you see about any cab, the reality is that some will just sound better than others, and some will start farting at lower volumes than others due to things like speaker excursion. i love the ampeg you listed - i spent a couple hours playing with one at a sam ash. i didn't, however, crank it. but man, it sounded good.

have you considered carvin or hartke? both are super good values, and i played a carvin stack (1000 watt head/15" cab+2x10") for like a decade, and it was all still doing great when i sold it. here's one of the carvins, the 4x10 http://www.carvinaudio.com/collections/bass-cabinets/products/br410

if you were going hartke used, i'd suggest the hydrive series as i liked the combination of aluminum and paper cones, where i find the all aluminum cones maybe too bright for my tastes.

btw, if a bass player turns up the gain or uses enough distortion he/she can probably destroy any speaker when played enough that way unless it has TONS of headroom.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at Nov 24, 2015,
You'll find generally program watts are twice RMS and peak watts four times RMS but because there are no generally accepted standards for program or peak watts they are not reliable. The other thing you'll see a lot of, sometimes even called RMS, is the AES rating which is RMS rating with a set measurement technique that tries to mimic what would happen if music is played through the speaker.

All speaker ratings are based on the heat they disperse though not on what they can handle without distortion or breaking in other ways than melting the coil. Amps are rated on the electrical power they give out so the ratings aren't a cast iron guarantee if you don't know your electronics.

In most cases a 500W amp usd with a 500w AES speaker is going to be OK so long as you don't turn it up until it distorts.

The Peavey amp will probably work fine with the Peavey cab or the Ampeg. Peavey are reknowned for their longevity. They are also dead cheap used as most bass players are looking for lighter gear. Big old 4x10's and 15's are generally cheap used whatever brand you go for.

Hartke amps are also dead cheap used, I paid £100 for a used HA3500 recently. LH500 for sound straight out of the box and the HA's for good tone shaping. Choose on tone.
FWIW (and Phil Starr's information is good stuff), selecting bass cabinets is probably less about matching wattage (which is the ability of the cabinet to dissipate heat from the voice coils as much as anything else) and more about the ability of the speakers to move air. In particular, this means that cone excursion will be your limiting factor more than the heat dissipation.
Thank you guys so much for the good info! I considered hartke and carvin stuff but couldn't seem to find a good deal but that 410 for 300 ish dollars is great! I see what you mean though with excursion being more important. Is there some sort of rating I can look for to know what that is for each cab? I'm gonna keep looking at hartke and carvin stuff. I might hop on that ampeg can though, I found a used one for 300 dollars which I believe is a good deal
Peavey 6505+ head
Mesa 4x12 Rectifier Cab
Line 6 Spider III 30 Watt (practice amp)
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR
Boss NS-2 noise suppressor
MXR 10 Band EQ KFK
Boss DD-7 Delay
the ampeg sounds sweet, i gotta say.

btw, sending you a pm.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Hi guys and gals,
I wanted to make a separate thread, but i am unable to do it because I am new user.
So I am going to ask this here: What is the difference between an amp that is combined(I mean that it has speaker and knobs on the same box xD) and an amp with separate head and cabinet? Is the difference purely volume-wise or is there more to it? Sorry for inappropriate question and thanks in advance for answers. Have a nice day.

EDIT: Oh and lets just assume that both amps are the same in terms of brand and model. In particular: Blackstar ID100-TVP vs Blackstar ID100-TVP head and cabinet.
Last edited by nura1717 at Dec 29, 2015,
Quote by nura1717
What is the difference between an amp that is combined(

None. Other than weight or convenience of carry, etc.