I'm starting to get back into learning theory and I started with a progression from a song im currently learning, but Im lost as fuck and how the progression was written out and the tab wants it to be played.

The song is Dethklok - I Ejaculate Fire @ 0:48

A5 / Bb(#11) / G6 / A5 / Fmaj7 / A5(/E)

Anyone mind explaining this to me?
Quote by Blckspawn
I'm starting to get back into learning theory and I started with a progression from a song im currently learning, but Im lost as fuck and how the progression was written out and the tab wants it to be played.

The song is Dethklok - I Ejaculate Fire @ 0:48

A5 / Bb(#11) / G6 / A5 / Fmaj7 / A5(/E)

Anyone mind explaining this to me?

It's probably in F and there's probably more to the chords than you put down.
The powerchords are diads, so they don't have quality. But filling in the blanks it could be
F: iii - IV - ii/vi - iii - I - iii.
I just treated the Gmaj6 as an Em7, so it could be borrowed from D minor, being the ii of vi.
Quote by GoldenGuitar
It's probably in F and there's probably more to the chords than you put down.
The powerchords are diads, so they don't have quality. But filling in the blanks it could be
F: iii - IV - ii/vi - iii - I - iii.
I just treated the Gmaj6 as an Em7, so it could be borrowed from D minor, being the ii of vi.

Its in Dm and im getting the progression straight from the book.

http://postimg.org/image/r3z27ew9h/
Okay, sure. That's probably why there's a Gmaj6.
Then: V - VI - IV - V - III - V in Dm. Seriously, it could be either since we don't know the quality of the A5 so the function is ambiguous.
It would really help if you posted the melody, because these charts usually don't take the whole harmony into consideration, only the parts you play on guitar.
Last edited by GoldenGuitar at Nov 24, 2015,
I just listened to the song.

Not everything is to be analyzed that deeply. You're tuned down two whole steps, and then you're playing a riff wholly in Am which will eventually transition back to Dm.
Glad to cross paths with you on this adventure called life
Quote by Jet Penguin
lots of flirting with the other key without confirming. JUST LIKE THEIR LOVE IN THE MOVIE OH DAMN.
Quote by Hail
you're acting like you have perfect pitch or something
^ Right.

The key is concert Bb minor, played as Dm tuned two whole steps down.
The verse is centred on the "A" chord (concert F), but hard to say how "minor" that is. It seems to be just a power chord, and the Bb in the riff gives it a phrygian vibe.

So you could argue the verse is "in A phrygian", or just see it as a riff based around the V of D minor.
The chord symbols shown on the chart are only implied - and not very strongly implied at that.

The chorus (around a minute in) is D minor, even with a sense of resolving to the relative major (F, concert Db).
Last edited by jongtr at Nov 24, 2015,