Which pedal does John Mayer use in songs like Slow Dancing in a Burning Room and Gravity?
What part(s)? Replicating his sound with a pedal sounds like a daunting task, he's got some unique amps in the mix. IIRC he plays a Dumble a lot.
What amp are you currently using?
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
I hear a nice tube amp, a little spring reverb, and maybe a touch of delay. The rest is Mayer's hands. Good hands.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=32GZ3suxRn4
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
I hear a nice tube amp, a little spring reverb, and maybe a touch of delay. The rest is Mayer's hands. Good hands.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=32GZ3suxRn4

Well sure, but I think we can help the TS get closer using a pedal depending on his amp. This is guitar gear and accessories, the guitar technique forum is separate.

TS - Mayer from a pedal is a tall order, but knowing what amp you currently use will help us get started. Generally speaking you are looking for a light overdrive. I've heard, but not experienced myself, that the Boss Blues Driver does a nice job with that type of tone.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I currently have a Fender Mustang 1, but i'm going to buy a new amp aswell. Probably a Fender Super Champ X2.
Yeah the Mustang isn't going to slice it. Mayer tends to have that "right on the edge of break-up" sound with a nice reverb in their for flavor. Most modelers do not take too well to OD pedals.

The Super Champ "should" respond much better with a light OD in front. Lately I have been using my EP booster as well as my Soul Food (not at the same time) for a nice little front end kick for blues-y style music.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Going by the video, which is definitely some sweet tone, I would think your Mustang does that sorta tone best. Of course its not gonna nail it but I've spent a lil time on a Mustang amp a friend left at my place for a while and I thought that "edge of breakup" Fender cleanish tone was one of the more decent sounds from the amp. I wanna say it was the '65 Super Reverb model, but its been a while.

If you must, I'd say go with the Blues Driver.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
Going by the video, which is definitely some sweet tone, I would think your Mustang does that sorta tone best. Of course its not gonna nail it but I've spent a lil time on a Mustang amp a friend left at my place for a while and I thought that "edge of breakup" Fender cleanish tone was one of the more decent sounds from the amp. I wanna say it was the '65 Super Reverb model, but its been a while.

If you must, I'd say go with the Blues Driver.

+1

The Mustang on its own probably does that tone better than it would with just about any pedal. Same is probably true of the Super Champ.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
If your Mustang MI gives you access to the BIAS and SAG settings when connected to FUSE, adjust those to taste. Not sure what Amp models, cab sims and FX are on the MI, but explore those as well. The Greenbox OD FX, 2x12c cab, and Bassman Amp, amongst others on the higher Mustangs deliver some great sounds and can be dialed in for nice on the edge breakup when set just right and respond well to light vs. more aggressive dig in pick attack, and guitar Vol Pot adjustments. Again, I don't know how much of this is avail in the MI.
Mustang v2 III/IV●EXP-1●FUSE●REMUDA●Yamaha THR10C
Epi LP Florentine Pro●LP Cstm Pros●LP PlusTop Pro●Sheraton-II Pro
Cstm Strat Vntg Noiseless●Guild D-55
So Creek Cables●BOSS RC-1●RS7500
D'Addario Strings●Vari-Grip●Planet Lock Straps
Agreed that the Mustang or SCX2 will get you in the room with Mayer if you spend the time mining that edge-of-breakup guitar tone. No pedals needed and the Mustang will probably sound much worse with an OD pedal in front. Also pay close attention to what he is doing with the volume, tone, and pickup selectors on his Strat. Mayer is constantly adjusting and fine tuning those as a method of expression. It is very much a part of his sound.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Agreed that the Mustang or SCX2 will get you in the room with Mayer if you spend the time mining that edge-of-breakup guitar tone. No pedals needed and the Mustang will probably sound much worse with an OD pedal in front. Also pay close attention to what he is doing with the volume, tone, and pickup selectors on his Strat. Mayer is constantly adjusting and fine tuning those as a method of expression. It is very much a part of his sound.

Mustang has built in fx including overdrive. not likeluy it will nail mayer tone but can certainly get you close enough for practice. there are 20 page threads over at The Gear Page on getting Mayer's tone. it's not an easy one to nail so don't feel bad if you can't. agree that working your guitars controls will help and seems like a bit of a lost art.