Here's an issue I've been having ever since I started playing guitar about two months ago and was partially a consequence of learning through Rocksmith.

I have no trouble whatsoever playing continuous chord progressions and chord solos, but when it comes to solos that involve single note fretting on multiple strings, I hit a bit of a roadblock. It sounds strange, but I only feel comfortable fretting notes with exclusively my pointer finger.

For example, I love the famous riff from Blink-182's 'Dammit,' but I can't bring myself to use more than my pointer finger, so I end up getting a lot of unwanted string noise and dirty-sounding notes. How can I go about training myself to use more than one finger on the strings, especially with this song?

Thanks in advance!

-Noah
Quote by TheAviator1997
Here's an issue I've been having ever since I started playing guitar about two months ago and was partially a consequence of learning through Rocksmith.

I have no trouble whatsoever playing continuous chord progressions and chord solos, but when it comes to solos that involve single note fretting on multiple strings, I hit a bit of a roadblock. It sounds strange, but I only feel comfortable fretting notes with exclusively my pointer finger.

For example, I love the famous riff from Blink-182's 'Dammit,' but I can't bring myself to use more than my pointer finger, so I end up getting a lot of unwanted string noise and dirty-sounding notes. How can I go about training myself to use more than one finger on the strings, especially with this song?

Thanks in advance!

-Noah

By using the other fingers. Seriously bro, there's no other way around it. Other tips that may help you:

- Start by playing the song/riff/solo/whatever VERY slow and increase the tempo a little bit as you practice.
- Use a metronome.
- Divide the solo by parts.
- Learn how to mute the strings properly. There are tons of vids on this subject on youtube.
- Use that pinky from the beginning! When I was starting out (and I think that this is a common problem among most beginners), I totally neglected the pinky finger and never used it. Huge mistake! I wish I had realised sooner the importance of the pinky when playing guitar. I know it can be difficult at first, but start building as much finger strength and finger indenpendence as possible when starting.
- Don't know how you pick the strings, but this was another mistake that I made when I was starting out: I would downpick everything, which would slow me down a lot and make things sloppy, specially when playing solos. Get comfortable with alternate picking asap.

Btw, this thread should be on the Guitar Techniques forum: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9

No need to create another thread though, a mod will most likely move your thread. But next time you need help playing something, post on that forum
Last edited by DanyFS at Nov 24, 2015,
Great advice above. Learn it the right way now or you'll be perpetually stuck with terrible technique. A little hard work now will save you time in the long run