Hello,

I have heard good things about Orange cabinets and see them matched with Mesa/Boogie all of the time. I just got a Tremoverb (dual rec) and was wondering if this seemed like a good set up. Basically I am on a budget but want the Orange tone which seems to be so popular.

I was trying to imagine how it would look with these cabs. What do you guys think?

I'm guessing that's the PPC108? Yeah... no.

An 8" speaker is definitely not the way to go with... just about anything.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by cGoEcYk

I was trying to imagine how it would look with these cabs. What do you guys think?

I think you need some work on your Photoshop.
fwiw, i think you will dishonor the mesa by putting shitty cabs under it -but it's your call. if you really wanted the orange tone you should have bought the orange head.
Quote by cGoEcYk
Hello,

I have heard good things about Orange cabinets and see them matched with Mesa/Boogie all of the time. I just got a Tremoverb (dual rec) and was wondering if this seemed like a good set up. Basically I am on a budget but want the Orange tone which seems to be so popular.

Mesa cabs are built better than orange cabs, and the V30's in Mesa cabs are different than what is in Orange cabs.

The Orange tone comes from the amp not the speakers, there was a time that all Orange cabs had Eminence speakers in them, and they still sounded like Orange amps.

Those PPC108 cabs are garbage at best.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Your new kick ass amp will sound terrible through 2 8 inch speakers. Go find a nice 2x12 cabinet at least.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
If your in the US, you can order the HB212 vintage cab for all of <$300 new and that includes shipping. I checked at www.thomann.de and it is 100% do able

or you can go www.avatarspeakers.com and get a cab
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks guys. I thought the 8's would be extra tight (but mainly cheap) since I tune kind of low. Sounds like I need to dream a little bigger. There is a cool looking Mesa 1x12 cab locally that I might give a shot.
It should be plenty tight with V30s or similar and a Tubescreamer in front of the amp. Hell, the Rectoverb and Tremoverb are already much tighter than their normal Rec counterparts. I just about don't need a boost with mine, but I can't quite my lead tone without one.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Mesa cabs are built better than orange cabs, and the V30's in Mesa cabs are different than what is in Orange cabs.

The Orange tone comes from the amp not the speakers, there was a time that all Orange cabs had Eminence speakers in them, and they still sounded like Orange amps.

Those PPC108 cabs are garbage at best.

i am not sure if i agree that mesa builds better cabs than orange. i have two of each. they are all fucking solid. i would say on par.

the PC108 cabs are shit IMO as well.

if i were you i wold get a PPC212 closed back, or a vertical 2x12" rectifier cab.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
oh, and ironically, my orange rockerverb is on a measa 4x12" and my mesa mkiv is living on two 2x12" oranges.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I only said better because of materials, Mesa uses Marine grade birch, Orange uses plain Birch.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I only said better because of materials, Mesa uses Marine grade birch, Orange uses plain Birch.

didn't know that. interesting. thanks!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Thanks for the tips guys. I took the advice and found a heavy-duty Mesa 1x12 cab. Basically the coolest looking cab I had ever seen. Sounds great, very chunky.

Dude get a 2x12. For serious. Way more.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Dude get a 2x12. For serious. Way more.

His cab looks like a Thiele-Small cab, possibly loaded with an EVM12L. If so, it should be good.
Looks like one of the Mesa Bass cabs not a guitar cab.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Get two of them, one for the living room, one for the basement.
The mesa cabs usually have better speakers(MiUK) and it's usually orange head and mesa cabs IIRC. Or meds heads and mesa cabs. Just, mesa makes damn fine stuff.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
I liek cabs.
if anything 2x10 if you wanted compact and tight, but still, 12s are a safe way to go.

some setups can sound great with 10s.

not 8s. thats a bedroom practice amps setup.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by Robbgnarly

What, exactly, would be the difference? If both are voidless, you should be pretty much in the same ballpark. I would guess that the marine grade would exhibit slightly less rot if stored underwater for a year, of course.

Orange may not be listing all of the specs of the plywood they're using, but Marine-grade is usually identified as being voidless and as using a good water-resistant glue in its makeup. *Some* marine-grade plywoods have an outer facing of a thin layer of mahogany.

I'm not sure that the difference is worth buying one cabinet over another...
Last edited by dspellman at Dec 6, 2015,