Hey!

So, just a simple question. The title pretty much says it all. I have never replaced an amp speaker. How big will the difference be? Is it worth spending €130 on it? I don't have the opportunity to try it, so all I can do is to blindly trust the experienced ones, since I don't find the Youtube videos too helpful.

Thanks,
Tami
Last edited by tami626 at Nov 24, 2015,
Quote by tami626
Hey!

So, just a simple question. The the title pretty much says it all. I have never replaced an amp speaker. How big will the difference be? Is it worth spending €130 on it? I don't have the opportunity to try it, so all I can do is to blindly trust the experienced ones, since I don't find the Youtube videos too helpful.

Thanks,
Tami

It will make a difference, but if it is what you want

The Bandit are decent SS amps, but I don't think I'd spend money upgrading it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Well, I definitely can't buy a new amp with my budget. Maybe I'll end up buying a wah pedal or something.

Any other opinions?
Quote by tami626
Well, I definitely can't buy a new amp with my budget. Maybe I'll end up buying a wah pedal or something.

Any other opinions?

What about a decent MFX pedal that way you get some decent amp, cab and FX all in one package.
Look at the Line 6 POD series or Zoom G3/G5
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I don't think my budget is enough for a decent one. Also, if I decide to buy an effect, I guess a separate pedal (like a wah) would sound better than the effect on a MFX. And I don't need a lot of effects. I wouldn't use the most of them anyway.
Quote by tami626
I don't think my budget is enough for a decent one. Also, if I decide to buy an effect, I guess a separate pedal (like a wah) would sound better than the effect on a MFX. And I don't need a lot of effects. I wouldn't use the most of them anyway.

The older POD XT and X3 are pretty cheap used, and they have a decent Wah plus lost of other tone shaping features. Should be in your budget used

If you go with a standalone wah, I suggest looking at Morley wahs
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Nov 24, 2015,
The cheapest used Line 6 POD I found is €200.

Quote by Robbgnarly
If you go with a standalone wah, I suggest looking at Morley wahs

I was considering the Dunlop GCB95 Original Cry Baby. But I'd still like to hear a few more opinions about the speaker upgrade.
Quote by tami626
The cheapest used Line 6 POD I found is €200.

I was considering the Dunlop GCB95 Original Cry Baby. But I'd still like to hear a few more opinions about the speaker upgrade.

check on the prices of Eminence speakers in your area, they are typically 1/2 the price of celestion's (over here at least).
Why the K100?

The Dunlop is not that great and it sucks tone really bad.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
yeah what is it about the K100 that grabs you?? I have 2 of the early versions of them (g85) and I love them...what are you hoping it will do to your tone??
I can only find Celestion speakers where I live. I just found a lot of people like the 100-K, including those who play metal. That's it. And I don't have a lot of other chices if I want to get a decent speaker with my budget.

The idea of upgrading the amp speaker came from this guy:
Quote by psp742
Pickups plays a part in getting the tone you want but another important factor people tend to forget is the amp or speaker the sound is coming from, the tone and frequencies will sound different coming from stock speaker when upgraded to a much better speaker driver.

Usually the stock speakers on any combo are ok or adequate but nothing special, I'm not sure if the Peavey Bandit came with the Peavey Blue Marvel speakers or something else. but I would check around for a better upgrade.

I was actually planning on replacing my bridge pickup, so I think that's still an option too.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1691364
Quote by tami626
I can only find Celestion speakers where I live. I just found a lot of people like the 100-K, including those who play metal. That's it. And I don't have a lot of other chices if I want to get a decent speaker with my budget.

The idea of upgrading the amp speaker came from this guy:

I was actually planning on replacing my bridge pickup, so I think that's still an option too.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1691364

Like I said I wouldn't bother upgrading your current amp, but if you do, keep the old speaker so you can switch them out. also the K100 is only available as an 8Ohm speaker, check yours, it maybe different. If it is then try and get a speaker with the same Ohms or you will probably loose power and headroom in your amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Mine is 8 ohm too.

Do you think the pickup change would be a better decision?
Quote by tami626
Mine is 8 ohm too.

Do you think the pickup change would be a better decision?

well what is it about your sound that you don't like? Some times the sound you want only comes from a different amp or something like a POD to get you there on the cheap.

What guitar do you have?

Have you tried another guitar through your amp and thought it sounded better?

The only reason I'm asking is the speaker will make a more dramatic difference than pickups.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have a Michael Kelly Patriot Glory. And I love it, but I'd like the bridge pickup to be a lot heavier.

I've tried a friend's Ibanez with active EMG's through my Bandit. It definitely sounded heavier, but I still prefer my Michael Kelly with the Rockfield SWC at the bridge, because I found the EMG's muddy as hell. Also, it simply felt like the sound was 'not coming out of the speaker' (not literally of course). You know, when you feel something's missing. Some 'personality' of the guitar. I can't really explain it.
the K100 is a good speaker, but it is more low/low-mid oriented and your highs and mid-highs will drop off some.

EMG's are not what I'd call muddy at all.

What are your amp settings? Gain and EQ.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
EMG's are not what I'd call muddy at all.

Well, maybe I'm using the wrong expression, since my english is poor. It's really difficult to talk about how something sounds.

Quote by Robbgnarly
What are your amp settings? Gain and EQ.

Well, I'm changing them all the time. Gain about half on the Metal Muff, bass usually a bit below half, mid a bit more below half and treble a little over half. I don't set them too far away from half. Sometimes I just crank up the bass or the mid a bit over half, but still not much. I think even a small change makes a huge difference, and a too extreme EQ just ruins the sound.
Last edited by tami626 at Nov 25, 2015,